This won't be easy.

choppersmom

---
Registered
Reaction score
I'm heading down to Virginia this afternoon to see my son Steven off. He's in the Navy, and his carrier is shipping out for Japan on Monday. He'll be gone for two years. I don't know when or if I'll get the chance to see him during that time. It's already very emotional around here, and getting worse by the minute. As you may be able to see, I'm wide awake at 5:30 in the morning and have been for several hours. I'll be pretty useless at work today, but I'm only there until 1 in the afternoon, then we leave for the drive south. I'm bringing the laptop with me, so I might be able to check in from time to time, but if not, I'll see you all Monday evening!

Trish

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Big HUGS, Trish! You're right, it won't be easy. It's going to be a hard day. We'll be here for virtual hand holding and shoulder crying if you need us.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
hugs2a.gif

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. May Stephen have a sucessful mission and return safely.

EM

choppersmom

---
Registered
Reaction score
Chin up, ma'am.
I know you'll miss him, but maybe you can find some consolation in the fact that he's doing an important job.
Maybe?

Oh, totally. I'm so proud of him I could bust wide open. It's just hard to pack off your oldest child, not knowing if you'll see his face again for two years, and more if he decides to stay in longer.

Thanks you guys for all the hugs and support, it means so much to me. It's going to be a little better knowing you all are here.

Last edited:

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
I'm heading down to Virginia this afternoon to see my son Steven off. He's in the Navy, and his carrier is shipping out for Japan on Monday. He'll be gone for two years. I don't know when or if I'll get the chance to see him during that time. It's already very emotional around here, and getting worse by the minute. As you may be able to see, I'm wide awake at 5:30 in the morning and have been for several hours. I'll be pretty useless at work today, but I'm only there until 1 in the afternoon, then we leave for the drive south. I'm bringing the laptop with me, so I might be able to check in from time to time, but if not, I'll see you all Monday evening!

Trish

I know how it feels. My daughter lives in California and I don't get to see her much. I miss her terribly. It's not like she is in the service, but the missing part is the same.

Will he get any leave?

Saying goodbye to your babies is one of the hardest part of being a mom.

Good luck and hugs

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Best wishes, Trish. But you wouldn't want him to miss the opportunity for the overseas posting, would you? So it will be sad and happy at the same time.

writin52

Registered
Reaction score

Trish
:Hug2:Trish. Bring lots of keenex and lots of love to send with him. We're around for more hugs when needed.

choppersmom

---
Registered
Reaction score
Best wishes, Trish. But you wouldn't want him to miss the opportunity for the overseas posting, would you? So it will be sad and happy at the same time.

LOL, that was one of the things that really made me encourage him to join! I asked him where else he would get the chance to see the world and get paid for it, all while serving his country and learning skills for the future. It's an awesome opportunity for him.

choppersmom

---
Registered
Reaction score
I know how it feels. My daughter lives in California and I don't get to see her much. I miss her terribly. It's not like she is in the service, but the missing part is the same.

Will he get any leave?

Saying goodbye to your babies is one of the hardest part of being a mom.

Good luck and hugs

Thanks Joyce C! Yes, he'll get leave, but it's not going to be practical for him to fly over from Japan. Airfare is crazy! So unless a miracle happens, he likely won't be coming home for a while.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Missing Writer??? May flights of angels carry you
I am so sending you prayers and hugs and vibes (and virtual kleenex too).
:Hug2:

sometimes it sucks being a parent -- we work to guide them into being responsible adults, love them to pieces and then have to stand and watch them go out to start their own lives. You're heart will be breaking, but you'll be trying to smile... it simply means you did an awesome job.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Awww! I can't imagine how much this must hurt. Be sure to give him two years worth of hugs and kisses! (In front of the other Navy guys!) And then you should try to plan a little vacation to help get your mind off of it.

I told Mr. Turkey, when the last child leaves home we have to go on one of those 'around the world' cruises. That way I will be nicely distracted, and by the time we get home, I'll be looking forward to a quiet, empty house. Maybe.

Hugs for you!
-TL

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My hugs to you, too, chopper. He'll have a great time, I bet. I's jelus.

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I remember when my brother left for Japan. I was so happy. But this isn't the same. I'm not looking forward to the day my boy leaves home. Or am I? Nevertheless, a hug for you. We'll get you through.

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
C.M. - I feel your pain. Being the youngest of seven, I've had to watch as my five sisters and brother left the nest before I did. And if your son is anything like me, the impact of this separation will subside - unless it's dramatic. Be strong for him. The time to let loose and cry like a baby is after he's safely aboard his ship. Boys never like seeing their mother upset. You and your family are in my prayers. God bless.

clockwork

In the zone...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
redzonefilm.net
I can't imagine how hard it must be to do something like that, chopper but take some consolation in the knowledge that'll he'll probably have the time of his life out there. I'm sure he'll do you proud and you'll see him again before you know it. ((hugs))