Marking A Milestone In Our Children's Education

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As of today, my wife and I have began home schooling our eldest daughter, Bethany, 17. We have studied the move for three years and now is the time.

Being a former student and teacher in this school system, I am fully aware of the pluses and minuses.

Bethany is a straight A student and also works part-time. She's involved in many community activities and makes blankets for Riley's Children's Hospital in Indianapolis.

Her educational goals are clearcut and focused. Having the good graces of her mother, I am sure our daughter will succeed in her chosen field.

:Hug2:Bethany, we're proud of you.

Mom and Dad (Rick & Dana)

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
17? So you can home school for college now? That's going to save you a pile of cash!

Bethany sounds like a great kid.

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Missing Writer??? May flights of angels carry you
Congrats. I've homeschooled my guys for years. Yesterday, I filled out the application form for my oldest to go to university -- a big moment for us. My youngest one is autistic, and in Grade 11. I have never regretted the choice, but it certainly has its challenges. Bethany sounds like a super kid. :Hug2:

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is her junior year at high school. She got a late start because of how her birthday fell.

She plans to attend IU after finishing her high school through IU home study. She has almost all her credits to graduate this year, but wants to take more foreign language and biology first.

Funny thing is, after all the careful planning, we expected a long process to withdraw her. It took less than a minute. Indiana has one rule governing home schooling- keep attendance records.

Of course that can cause alot of problems for many. The chiropracter in town home schools his children. None of them can tie their shoes or read. The oldest is 15! And they have no idea how to interact socially. I don't believe that's going to serve those children in years to come.

Our oldest son, Zack (15), said "Who wants to stay home all day?" :?D

Last edited:

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
I've seen homeschooling work, and I have seen it abused. It definitely requires parents to be very organized, and to follow all state, and district standards. (depending on where you live) But as you have mentioned, some parents don't follow through, and if the district isn't supervising them, then they fall behind. It seems to me your daughter has already shown drive and perseverance so I am sure this will work out great.

Congrats on this new adventure!

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations.

I've homeschooled for 3 years. Rain is going to charter school this fall but I hope to have him back home when we go on our geography/history "adventure".

Hopefully gas prices will stabilize (i.e. come down) so we can do this.

Don't forget to vote! {And teach civics & government! Woefully lacking in today's school systems}

Heck - it was woefully lack back in my day. ;)

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Great move. You'll never regret it!