Getting Rid of Dead Rat/Mouse Odor

Alvah

Life is what you make of it.
Registered
Reaction score
There is an odor in my house that I think is from a dead mouse or rat.
I don't see any animal on the floor or other visible place, so I think it's
in the wall.

I have company coming next week, and I don't want them to smell this.
Of course I will open the windows and air the place out, but I want to
get rid of the source of the smell.

What is the best way to get rid of it, or at least get rid of the smell?

I am hoping I won't have to tear down a large section of my inside wall.
If I could just find it, it might be possible to make a hole in just one place,
instead of ripping out a lot of drywall.

Now I'll have to figure out how to use this in a story.

Thanks,

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
You might be able to narrow down the possibilities by sniffing everything, and seeing where the bad smell is worst.

The dead rodent won't usually be in a visible place. You need to check every possible hiding place... under sofas, behind cupboards, in your clothing drawer. They only need a tiny space to hide. Much smaller than you probably think they need.

Some furniture has panelling that hides spaces, such as around baths and showers. Remove that and check behind it. After that, you're left with ripping up the floorboards, checking the roof space and removing walls. Hopefully they'll be in one of the easier to access places.

If you've had rodents in, washing the carpets and soft furnishings might help the smell. A colony of live rodents can smell pretty bad, and they've probably urinated on stuff.

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe try a few drops of a product called "Nil-O-Dor".

The little rascals are bloody hard to find, alive or dead. The good thing is that the smell won't last for too long. The bad thing is that you may stumble across a tiny skeleton one day in the future.

How2writer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.AndreaReynolds.com
Once I found a dead mouse in my bookshelf. I had to take the books that smelled the worst out to the shed as the first step to eliminating the stench. I put them in plastic bags with baking soda to absorb most of the odor for a few weeks, then let them sit a month or two more to air out.

Once you find the carcass and remove it, you can spray the area with some of that neutralizer they use for cat and dog puddles.... Nature's Miracle is one brand that works.

Good luck finding it.

Andrea

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Look in all your shoes,,, no kidding,,, found a little bugger in my snow boot, $200 pissed down the drain. Baking soda when you find the carcass, stay away from lysol, it just makes the stink smell fresh. Spread the backing soda heavy and leave it.. after a day or so clean it up then try murphy's woodsoap.. I doubt it's in a wall, but heating vents and such are a real possibility.

mada

Getting back in the groove
Registered
Reaction score
I have a friend who works for pest control (the girl isn't quite right in the head, but she's very smart about mice). I'm seeing her in the morning, I'll ask her advice and report back.

Alvah

Life is what you make of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone for your suggestions.
Mada, I'm interested to know what advice your friend had.

Best regards to all,

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Borrow a cat - preferably one that lives outdoors most of the time. They'll probably pinpoint the smell fairly quickly. Mine can find mice in places I would never think of.

miles111

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have company coming next week, and I don't want them to smell this.

It's an election year. Explain to your company that a politician had dropped by, moments before, to ask for your vote...

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
dehumidifying can help. The quicker it dries the sooner it stops smeller. Other than that you can get industrial strength anti-odor online, the stuff that is the active ingrediant in febreze et al. One drop of that clears a room for a day or so.

Izunya

Registered
Reaction score
Borrow a cat - preferably one that lives outdoors most of the time. They'll probably pinpoint the smell fairly quickly. Mine can find mice in places I would never think of.

In my experience, though, they're only interested in finding the mice if said mice are still alive. My cat is perfectly willing to catch a mouse, kill it, cache it in an obvious-to-her location, and forget about it. And then watch the silly humans tear up the bedroom looking for the source of the stink.

A dog might be less discriminating, but you might be able to track it down yourself. Find the place where the stink is worst, and go into a cleaning frenzy. That's what worked for us.

Izunya

rtilryarms

Crossbows and Handgonnes
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry kiddo. Just wait 3 days and the decomposition will complete and the smell will go away.
I run into this frequently on my properties and it's like finding a needle in a haystack. You have to cut holes in the wall.

In my house, I know how the wiring and plumbing is done so I found it a couple of times.

If it is around your stove I can help you, that's the path they usually take. But you still got to cut holes and cross fingers.

Me? I wait it out and let my wife do the cooking to see which smells worse.