Is it me?

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Is it just me or is it kind of hard to pick and choose which agents are the most appropriate for your work. Part of me wants to query like crazy, but I have only sent a handful out. I do think the agents I am targeting are appropriate for my project only they don't all feel the same. I know there is a ton of info out there about agents and there are a ton of agents. Does it sound like I am being too picky?

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
It's been said, having a bad agent is worse than having no agent at all. And I agree. So it's not you. Getting the right agent, in today's market, is critical. Take your time. After all, you're hiring them.

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
No. You're not being picky. Keep at it. I queried my first book, as per usual, with complete confidence that some agent would pick it up. Some looked at partials and I still have 2 fulls out, but no one has told me what I expected to hear, "Come on over."
No matter what, when someone looks at a partial or full, I send out a rash of, "Is this guy/gal okay e-mails and phone calls." I'm not confident even AFTER I queried! Gravity is right. You can't be too careful, better a long wait than a bad agent!

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
i agree. research as much as you can!
but i still abide by query widely. you're looking
at a writer who sent out over 100 queries.

you just never know when a good agent
will want to read what you have. i wrote a
YA asian historical fantasy and had two agents
who specifically said they were looking for
asian fantasy say NO. but other agents who i thought
would NEVER be interested in my type of
book request pages.

go balls out. but make sure you
are querying solid reputable agents.
good luck!

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I can't believe you queried 100 agents. I have done five. Part of me really wishes I had 100 letters out there so I could waiting on several responses instead of the few that are driving me crazy, but I am not even sure I could find 100 agents that would fit my work. Good luck to you too.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Here are two shortcuts:

Network. If you know a local writer who has sold in your genre, ask for the name of her agent. If a writer is signing in a local store, drop in! (Buy a book if you can afford one.) Don't give her the synopsis of your book. Make sure she's not self, vanity or PA published.

Writer websites: If another writer in your genre has a website and a contact addy, a short, polite e-mail can help.

Dear ___, I'm an aspiring writer in search of an agent. I was wondering who represents you, as I work in the same genre. And let me say I really enjoyed Horny Hearts--and so did my boyfriend ;)! Please keep up the great work!"

Hey--flattery never hurts!
icon10.gif

And here is a SAFE place to hunt for an agent:

http://anotherealm.com/prededitors/pubagent.htm

Putting an agency name on Google with the words "scam" or "rip off" can help weed out the scammers.

Here's a legit agency:

http://www.spectrumliteraryagency.com/

They have names of writers you've heard of, sold books up on the site, links to author websites, links to booksellers.

Last edited:

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
Is it just me or is it kind of hard to pick and choose which agents are the most appropriate for your work. Part of me wants to query like crazy, but I have only sent a handful out. Does it sound like I am being too picky?

It can be hard to pick and choose if there's not a lot of information out there on a particular agent. You want to take the time to do research, but you don't want to rule out anyone based on what may be sketchy info. Like Xiao said, sometimes you'll be pleasantly surprised and get a request from an agent who you thought wouldn't handle the type of writing you do.

There's no wrong or right way to send out queries (except maybe blasting agents with the same generic one with the greeting "Dear Agent"). Some folks send in big batches, some send them out in a trickle. Do what feels right.