• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How Can I Tell If It's Plausible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
First, let me admit to making a big mistake: I discussed my writing and research woes with two less than sympathetic family members in the room. :e2smack:To cut a long story short, they let me know they thought some of my characters were highly improbable, even for cheese. I think they're mistaken, but then again, I could be biased.

Is there a way I can tell if something is truly implausible, or will I need to ask for third-party opinions? Thanks!

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In fiction, "probable" is totally defined within the context of the story and you're ability to sell it through your writing.

I give you permission to ignore less than sympathetic family members totally.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Write the story and see if it works.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Tell us your premise and let us have a go at it. :)

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Although if your characters are vampires or werewolves, forget it. They're totally implausible and never get published or made into films.

-Derek

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Although if your characters are vampires or werewolves, forget it. They're totally implausible and never get published or made into films.

-Derek

:roll:

I came in here to say something to this affect.

When writing fiction, I would think that you don't have to make everything absolutely believable.

Like someone else said, if you can make it work within the rules you define within your own story, then it'll work fine. Most of us read to escape reality in an entertaining way, so you aren't going to be hung for writing some off the wall stuff.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I just saw on the news today, where a group of third grade students were caught conspiring to capture their teacher. They were caught with a knife, duct tape, rope and a few other implement. Upon questioning, they had a plausible plan to capture and restrain their teacher. (not sure what their plan was after that). Just as I finished shaking my head at this story, the next story was about fifth grade students who spiked their teacher's drink with Tylenol, aparently enough to make her sick.

So what's plausible? :crazy:

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to know if something is plausible, you think about an event in your story and compare it to real life. If it's not something you see everyday, then it's not plausible.

Example: Mary Sue's :D

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Another thing to remember is that sometimes talking about things in a story out of context might make them sound strange, especially if you're talking to someone who isn't really interested or sympathetic. Whatever doubt you're feeling might be coming from the conversation, not the story ideas themselves.

althrasher

Prodigal Muser
Registered
Reaction score
Family is great for many things, but novel-critiquing is not always one of them.

The question of plausibility applies only to your story. Really, how likely is the Da Vinci Code?

(not that it's a great literary achievement, but just as an example.)

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Family is great for many things, but novel-critiquing is not always one of them.

The question of plausibility applies only to your story. Really, how likely is the Da Vinci Code?

(not that it's a great literary achievement, but just as an example.)

I have that book, but never read it. I heard it was bad.

althrasher

Prodigal Muser
Registered
Reaction score
I have that book, but never read it. I heard it was bad.

*shrugs* Depends on what you like. I enjoyed reading it, even though part of me knew it was poorly written with no characterization. It's just breakneck action, which is good sometimes. Mind candy.

*back to your regularly scheduled thread...*

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Someone once pointed out that with enough care, you can make a reader believe anything except that which violates character.

For example, spaceships and ghosts, perfectly believable in the right hands. But perfectly unbelievable would be Gladstone slapping Queen Victoria on the back, offering her a cigar, then telling her a dirty story.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys! I was afraid there wasn't going to be an easy answer (and looks like there isn't), but I'm getting lots of good advice here.

TheIT said:
Another thing to remember is that sometimes talking about things in a story out of context might make them sound strange, especially if you're talking to someone who isn't really interested or sympathetic. Whatever doubt you're feeling might be coming from the conversation, not the story ideas themselves.
I think you may have hit the nail on the head here.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
If you want to know if something is plausible, you think about an event in your story and compare it to real life. If it's not something you see everyday, then it's not plausible.

Uh, Blue, you're writing a story with magic in it. By your own definition, your story would be implausible. By that definition, stories about magic, vampires, werewolves, genies, dragons, etc. wouldn't exist. The story has to be plausible within its own boundaries.

Thrillers often take implausible stories and turn them into rocking action stories. In one of Clive Cussler's books (Sahara), the story has a subplot that the death of Lincoln didn't happen at Ford's Theater and was covered up. Instead, in the book, he was on a Confederate ironclad that got stuck in the Sahara desert. The author lays in all the groundwork so that this storyline works.

Is there a way I can tell if something is truly implausible, or will I need to ask for third-party opinions?

I think just make sure your character's motivations for doing things in the story are solid, and keep them realistic in the boundaries of the story. Remember there are people out there who don't find the characters in a romance realistic, but those aren't the audience for a romance.

Last edited:

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Well not entirely true. I don't see bears everyday but it seems plausible that on other continents they have large mammals.

I don't mean that literally. (You guys sound like me sometimes.)

I mean something that may never happen in real life. I can't explain it. Sorry.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
If I wrote stories about some of my friends, people would say I was a total liar. The point is, life can truly be absurd and stranger than fiction, so nothing is too implausible. But in fiction, everything has to work within the context of the story, and it has to be logically explainable. Even if it's an improbable stunt (Dan Brown does it a lot in his novels), you have to at least try to explain and make it remotely plausible. If you're writing fantasy, the characters and the plot still have to abide by some rules.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk

What, I can't have a wizard? I'm pretty sure that most people can't turn other people into turnips in real life. But they can in my world.

Like Linda says, as long as it's plausible in the story, it's fine.

Seif

Registered
Reaction score
A work of fiction is set in a fictional world where you are able to define the rules and boundaries, as such a good writer is able to make the implausible - plausible.

I share your woes as I am experiencing a similar dilemma, however it is easy to overcome when you become focused: you must establish the characters credibility in the context of the fictional world-view, norms and structures rather than fit the characters around the reality your audience experiences.

As an author you have an artistic license, abuse it.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What, I can't have a wizard? I'm pretty sure that most people can't turn other people into turnips in real life. But they can in my world.

Like Linda says, as long as it's plausible in the story, it's fine.

Here's the word I'm looking for, Illogical. If it is something that cannot be scientifically explained, like. If a gun's capacity is 8 rounds, how come it only shot 12?

(When I yell something out like this in class, I get yelled at.)

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Thrillers often take implausible stories and turn them into rocking action stories.

Right. Any time you think what you're writing is implausible, do what I did: keep thinking Jurassic Park. How implausible does it sound to locate dinosaur blood in prehistoric mosquitos, extract the blood, and clone entire dinosaurs from a DNA sample?

Sounds implausible to me. My scientist-sister says it's impossible.

But it made a heck of a great book, didn't it? And an even better movie.

How implausible is it to use a machine to catch a ghost? I don't know, but I found out in under 500 pages.

Turns out it was quite plausible, in my fictional world.

I think just make sure your character's motivations for doing things in the story are solid, and keep them realistic in the boundaries of the story.
Exactly. Good motivations=good story.

allen

Eldritch

Registered
Reaction score
In the graveyard, talking to the statues.
I remember when I first heard the description of Stephen King's, "Christine". I couldn't believe the man had written a book about a possessed car.
It sounded totally ridiculous, but he made it work beautifully.

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score

A couple months ago my aunt chased my grandmother around the house with my newly-cremated grandfather's ashes. Aunt wanted Grandma to say goodbye and was prepared to force her even though she wasn't ready. No way could I write that in fiction, no one would believe me. People would say that would never happen, could never happen. But it did - I say write what works, because sometimes the line between fiction and truth is just plain wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.