• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Need quick geography help, North Pole, land mass

Status
Not open for further replies.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Not even sure if this pertains to writing other than as a part of the story I'm trying to write.

Basically, I need a good location near the North Pole. What's the closest land mass near there?

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Well, there's Greenland.

And several island groups owned by Canada, Norway, and Russia.

Oh, ok. Someone on another site mentioned Baffin Island or Ellesmere Island, so this is pretty congruent with that and might be just what I'm looking for.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
Ellismere is owned by Canada, and it looks like its the closest. According to my map, it has the northernmost settlement, called 'Alert' for some reason.

Russia owns Franz Josef land, which is nearly as close.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Ellismere is owned by Canada, and it looks like its the closest. According to my map, it has the northernmost settlement, called 'Alert' for some reason.

Russia owns Franz Josef land, which is nearly as close.

'Alert' is a PERFECT name and place. :D

Thanks.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
You can download a free version of Google Earth and see any piont on earth, including the points that the others mentioned. The pictures are from satellite photos taken over time and several spots are connected to National Geographic and other organizations' links that will zoom you to the spot. For the area you are looking for, you can see the cliffs along the seashore and the edges of the icecaps. It should help you with your descriptions.

misterkel

Registered
Reaction score
Not even sure if this pertains to writing other than as a part of the story I'm trying to write.

Basically, I need a good location near the North Pole. What's the closest land mass near there?
The Yukon?

misterkel

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, how close is Siberia?
Why would you ask here? Just look online.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
I noticed that the North Pole map had north, south, east and west inducated. It should have been south, south, south, south.

I'm being picky.

Status
Not open for further replies.