The importance of titles...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamsofnever

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kellyguentner.com
So I was browsing Barnes and Noble with my husband the other day and I turn around he's looking at the back of this hot pink book.

To clarify, my husband violently hates pink and he definitely doesn't read chick lit. So I look at him and laugh and ask "are you going to buy that?"

Turns out, he was so confused and intrigued by the title that he had to read the back. The title was The Accidental Virgin, and he couldn't figure out how someone could be an accidental virgin, so he read the back and that didn't answer the question. I swear he might almost have bought it to find out why. lol.

So it just goes to show, that a great title can at least help get people to pick up your book. (Kind of obvious, but funny when you picture my pink-hating husband picking up a hot pink book. lol)

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I had a similar crisis in confidence when James Frey came out with "My Friend Leonard".

It didn't have anything to do with the title, but his book is VERY PINK, but "A Million Little Pieces" was so fantastic that I had to suffer through the pink cover to read this one. And it was worth it.

dreamsofnever

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kellyguentner.com
Good for you for overcoming your fear of pink! I think in this case, my husband probably wouldn't have liked it since from the title, it was probably romance or chicklit. But it was still amusing :)

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, an intriguing title, one I don't instantly understand, will make me pick up a book and read the jacket copy, no matter what color it is.

In her wonderful industry send-up, The Bestseller, Olivia Goldsmith had her tiger-bitch editor call all popular women's novels "Pinks." So it is official. ;)

Honestly, though, the bright pastel covers do make it easy to find your chick-lits, so it's a great marketing ploy.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Now I'm trying to get over someone saying A Million Little Pieces was fantastic.

To each his own. In fact, it was one of the best books I've read.

I'll admit that I was going through a rough patch when I read it, so the emotional reaction it produced inside of me may have been skewed.

If you say you didn't like it because of embellishments, I'll knock you over the head. :D

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Hey James81

There's an interesting article on James Frey in the new issue of Paste, the music magazine.

Mr. Fix

Fixed on the future...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Music fills my loins...

all guys despise pink. It's innate.

Not true! I think Pink is a great singer and I very much like her music.
;)

PS; I do think a good cover can cause an interest in your book, but - as in 'Little Pieces,' it takes a dupped national TV host to sell a con. Good stories will sell themselves - eventually.

Last edited:

dreamsofnever

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kellyguentner.com
all guys despise pink. It's innate.

For the most part, you're right. But the funny thing is that one of my guy friends and my foster brother both LOVE pink. In fact, my foster brother has a pink shirt that says "don't laugh. this is your girlfriend's shirt." This is the kid who wanted a pink tux for prom too.

So they either despise pink or the few that love it, REALLY love it. lol.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
...always exceptions to every rule, as they say,
and thank goodness for that. Otherwise life would be pretty dull.
And as to the singer Pink, she is cool in most everybody's book!
Gotta tune into MTV, one of these days, and see if she's come out with any new vids.

josephwise

Registered
Reaction score
Pink or not, I'm noticing a lot of books lately with that title formula.

"The Accidental ___________" (The Accidental Virgin, The Accidental Demon Slayer)

And how about:
"The ______________'s Daughter"

Or:
"The Secret Lives of ______"

Anyway, I shall now begin writing my next novel, "The Secret Life of the Accidental Solipsist's Daughter."

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
The accidental secret life of Pink's Daughter-

Status
Not open for further replies.