PDA

View Full Version : Selling tech manuals

Kahaar
04-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Hello, I am new to AW forum. I am an accredited and experienced welder and recently have revised a technical manual for alloy welding application and process. I would like to sell the manual to private trade school, someday, but not sure what pitfalls may wait.

Being a babe in the woods, I wonder about if it is smart to self publish the manual(s) first to protect ownership before flogging it? There are other things I am not aware of in terms of publishing, or attempting to publish anything.

I will read this forum section to garner further insight. If you have sensible advice please feel free sharing your opinion. please be kind.

Kahaar
04-03-2008, 12:53 AM
For clarity, if possible, the manual in question is a practical procedure guide for a specific welding process. It covers physical theory, application, machine unit settings procedure replete with explanation step by step. Almost a "dunnies" how-to book.

I have never published before, nor am I soliciting referrals. Just asking what you veterans might suggest. If the suggestion is nothing at all, then that is the way the cookie crumbles.

As I said, I am new to this forum and to the notion of perhaps making billions of dollars writing technical manuals. If this post strikes in a way that seems I want someone to do my homework for me, I apologize. Just fishing for insight.

Tsu Dho Nimh
04-03-2008, 04:04 AM
Are there companies that publish welding manuals? If so, they are the first place to market.

Another route is to put the procedure (if it's not too long) on a website and get Google adsense ads on there.

Kahaar
04-04-2008, 03:52 AM
Thanks for the response. The manual is roughly 4000 words long. I've revised to make it this short. I have thoughts of self publishing and flogging it to private trade schools/institutes that deal specifically with welding.

I am aware the Thompson Corporation publishes technical welding manuals. There are a few others. I have not plagiarized there work. The manual I made is a original creation. Of course, there are only so many ways to discribe how and why to weld alloy or steel materials.

Like I said, this is a new venture. If anyone has keen insight on pitfalls or wants to be a nice person and provide any kind of advice, by all means, advise what ever seems appropriate.

Thanks.

Good Word
04-05-2008, 03:40 PM
Hi Kahaar, and welcome to AW. First, your work sounds kind of short for a manual, so I'm not sure how appropriate it would be as a stand-alone book. But don't let that keep you from contacting an editor at Thompson Corporation. :) It might be something appropriate to include in other training materials, or perhaps they might have ideas as to how to expand it, etc. But before you do contact publishing companies, it might help to do some reading at AW in the Nonfiction forum, particularly about writing book proposals. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13is the nonfic forum.

If you want to explore the self-publishing route, there is also a forum here that would help you gain some knowledge and make decisions in that regard. Check out the self-publishing and POD (print on demand) forum here: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=47

Kahaar
04-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestions GoodRead, I will look into those links you provided.

It is seems kinda short cause it is a pratical guide for a very specific welding process. As mentioned it is a sort of "how-to" with full details of application, method and theory. Of course it should be understood, this manual would only benefit a rather small target of the general welding market. It probly would not help someone who has no welding experience or understanding, unless accompanied by a qualified instructor coupled with pratice demonstrations. ;)

I know Thompson publishes extensive general welding theory manuals, I have read them. I have not plagerized any of their work. There are only so many ways to skin a cat, the expanation may vary.

Thompson does not go into great deal with TiG Aluminum Welding but offers a general overview without extensive explanation of technique, settings and a host of other variables.

My intention is to protect the scribbles I have entailed and eventually, try to flog the manual, as well as other welding technique manuals, to private trade colleges and maybe make a little tango. At the least, the manual could suggest I know my chops and prehaps could get me in the door as a welding instructor (with other proper accreditations). Who knows till we try.

Tsu Dho Nimh
04-07-2008, 09:37 PM
4000 words, with good illustrations, makes a convenient pamphlet.

Consider getting a blog that allows ads (blogspot.com, not wordpress) and turn the manual into a series fo posts iwth illustraitons ... make money off the ads that shgow up.

Kahaar
04-07-2008, 11:25 PM
Thank you Tsu Dho Nimh for your input. The 'pamphlet' idea is funny. The popup adwebsite is even funnier. Heck, why even bother with the 'pamphlet' you may wonder, and just post shower pic's of my crazy self under the guise of 'houseboy helper'.

Then again, if you have sensible advice please, feel free sharing your opinion. please be kind. If you have advice for website ad boards, do not share them here. Thank you.

Medievalist
04-08-2008, 08:04 AM
Thank you Tsu Dho Nimh for your input. The 'pamphlet' idea is funny. The popup adwebsite is even funnier. Heck, why even bother with the 'pamphlet' you may wonder, and just post shower pic's of my crazy self under the guise of 'houseboy helper'.

Then again, if you have sensible advice please, feel free sharing your opinion. please be kind. If you have advice for website ad boards, do not share them here. Thank you.

Kahaar, you're a new member, so I'm cutting you some slack.

Tsu Dho Nimh gave you a pretty good idea.

You gave back an astonishingly rude response.

And revealed your ignorance; Tsu Dho Nimh didn't mention pop-up ads; she talking about the inserted javascript-driven text ads from Google, and yeah, you can make money off of them.

Tsu Dho Nimh
04-08-2008, 07:13 PM

Your paltry 4,000 words on a specific tool-dependent procedure is not enough to warrant a book, and won't interest a general publisher because it's too specific. It might make a small income for you from a website.

https://www.google.com/adsense/login/en_US/

Good Word
04-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Bottom line on interactions: Be respectful (even if you don't like the suggestions) or don't post here.

Thanks.

Kahaar
04-09-2008, 02:00 AM
Im not looking to make a living writing or hosting ads. Only interested in protecting the written work and using it to perhaps aid/help others that work in the same professional field.

I make enough money already as a professional welder. Hosting ads is not something I am interested in. Sorry to rub the rhubarb the wrong way.

Medievalist
04-09-2008, 05:17 AM
Look, you're protected by copyright the minute you set pen (or keyboard) to work; you don't lose those rights unless you sign something or other state that you are releasing those rights.

Kahaar
04-10-2008, 02:24 AM
Look, you're protected by copyright the minute you set pen (or keyboard) to work; you don't lose those rights unless you sign something or other state that you are releasing those rights.

Ah, I did not know that. I thought there where complicated legal hoops to jump through. If all it takes is scratching the parchment, that is fine as gravy. Thank you for the simple explanation.

Kahaar
04-10-2008, 02:32 AM
Bye the bye, Thank you GoodWord for the linkie directions. And a sincere thank you to all who have responded. I apologize for 'paltry' reply.

Good Word
04-10-2008, 06:16 PM
Kahaar, thanks for the apology. :)

Also, I didn't want to discourage you from pursuing your writing ambitions, but maybe I was being too polite and not as direct as I should have been. It's just extremely unlikely that a 4,000 word document would be published as a stand-alone product. Walk in any bookstore--any non-fiction how-to manual is far more than that. (Another topic to research here or elsewhere is manuscript lengths for non-fiction.) So the suggestions other folks offered you were ways to work with what you have. I was thinking that, if you have a technique that is different or unusual, it might be worth the effort to have it considered for inclusion in something bigger that is already in progress.

Whatever you do, I wish you the best. AW is a good resource for you to build your knowledge base so you can decide what the best course of action might be for you.

Kahaar
04-11-2008, 08:42 PM
The 4000 word manual represents only one type of welding process with a specific alloy material. One thing I have noticed over the years with different welding theory manuals, the pratical discriptions and purposes can appear vague. The emphasis is placed on the student to follow procedure as discribed and apply it in a pratical manner.

However, if the student does not have a solid background, little or no theory and maybe can not afford the price of instructors, it is hoped my approach might advance their understanding of the processes.

There are four major welding processes (SMAW, GMAW, GTAW, FCAW) that are applied to several types of metal materials of various thickness. The main materials are mild steel, stainless, aluminum.
4 x 3 x 4000 = 12 manuals (at the least) = 48,000 words not including schematic diagrams. Advanced welding techniques can cover Titanium, Beryllium, Magnesium.

At the present I have produced only one manual which deals directly with application coupled with a general overview of the physical nature of energy input and material reaction.

The main concern I do have, a fear, is some unscrupulous enterpriser who could scoop the hard work and gain legal right of ownership.

I do not know much about the writing world and the whatnots that are involved. That is why I am here spilling my guts out to you fine strangers. Kindly pardon my ignorance. Some folks may not find manuals glamourous or interesting. But there are a small few who will. They are the few I hope to reach and empower their understand and abilities, if I can.

I have already applied this particular manual with an old welding co-worker who only knows mild steel. He read the manual I gave him. Then I read it again with him and explained it entirely. He then used the principles at work and amazed his employer with his new found ability welding aluminum. Now that he has a good foundation of understanding, he can continue improving his technique and move on to higher pay. There by, he improves the condition of his family, he feels good and confident. He might even be grateful for the free instructions and knowledge (I think he is). I have a dream of becoming a federal welding instructor and/or opening my own welding school, some fine day.

In a nutshell the concern is helping others grow without someone stealing my work. I mailed the original to myself and it remains sealed protecting the interest, I imagine. I would feel better having it protected in some official manner, such as perhaps self publishing the work.

I shan't give up and will maintain the resolve. Already the advice proferred here has its benefits.

warm regards,

MJWare
06-20-2008, 06:59 AM
have you thought about Amazon shorts? Maybe break it up into two sections?

Just a thought.