PDA

View Full Version : Advice on How To Get Legitimately Published

nikkibs
03-18-2004, 01:13 PM
Hello,
My niece recently finished her manuscript. Is there anything out there that can give her information on writing the querey and hints on getting it published?

Originally, I toyed with the idea of paying for a vanity press but, this is a very good manuscript (Not because she's my niece, others have read it) and I'd like to see her get a break for a change. Thank you. Nikki:whistle

writingal
03-18-2004, 05:52 PM
Check out writersmarket.com. For $3 per month you can search their publishing market database, which includes contact names and numbers/e-mails, how they want queries submitted and types of manuscripts they want. They also have great articles about how to write queries, etc.

Good luck!

sfsassenach
03-18-2004, 08:09 PM
...and research Writer's Market, Literary Marketplace, etc.

James D Macdonald
03-18-2004, 10:26 PM
Here are the negative things you can do:

Avoid anyone who says, "If you pay me $XXX I can make sure your book is published." Whether agents or publishers, paying for publication is a bad idea. Check any publisher or agent at Preditors and Editors. Those who come up "not recommended" are not recommended for a reason. From this point out, the only money your daughter should pay is for postage.

Positive things you can do: come up to the Writing Novels board, and let's talk there. This is the Bewares board. It's for warnings.

James D. Macdonald
07-15-2005, 10:00 AM
Look in bookstores for books like yours. See who published them. Write to those publishers for their guidelines. Follow those guidelines to the letter.