PDA

View Full Version : Don't you guys think you were a bit mean? - April Fools Day aftermath & tears

BlueLucario
04-02-2008, 05:50 PM
This doesn't involve novels or anything. I don't know where to put this. It involves a post. A new member had a story idea. he/she was talking in IM speak and everyone ganged up on him/her. Instead of picking on her and bullying her, why can't the members show some support? She's new. And she's just a kid. You can't expect teenagers these days to type formally.

Don't you think everyone was a bit mean to her? (The MODs especially, who should be ashamed of themselves :() I really feel bad for her, and I wish there's a way to reach out to her. I would have done that, if no one scared her away. :(

Don't you all feel bad?

Dawno
04-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Blue, yesterday was April Fool's day.

Little Red Barn
04-02-2008, 05:53 PM
This doesn't involve novels or anything. I don't know where to put this. It involves a post. A new member had a story idea. he/she was talking in IM speak and everyone ganged up on him/her. Instead of picking on her and bullying her, why can't the members show some support? She's new. And she's just a kid. You can't expect teenagers these days to type formally.

Don't you think everyone was a bit mean to her? (The MODs especially, who should be ashamed of themselves :() I really feel bad for her, and I wish there's a way to reach out to her. I would have done that, if no one scared her away. :(

Don't you all feel bad?
Ahhh, Blue, it was Aprils Fools, foolery! :D If anyone really acted like that on a normal day, mods would be the first to help. :Hug2:

megan_d
04-02-2008, 05:55 PM
It was all just an April Fool's Joke. Everyone here has been so nice and patient with you, and yet you still thought that was serious?

Shweta
04-02-2008, 05:58 PM
nstead of picking on her and bullying her, why can't the members show some support? She's new. And she's just a kid. You can't expect teenagers these days to type formally.

Aw, dear, I'm sorry the April Foolery made you feel bad :Hug2:

It's sort of a tradition (I mean, historically, not an AW tradition) for people to do role-reversals on April Fools/All Fools' day. So people who are normally very nice were playing at being mean, and Birol, who I've never ever seen to make personal insults, was doing just that. But it was all in good fun, and no real newbies were hurt.

I want to note though, that I was really touched by how you defended them, and how much you care about the community being supportive.

Little Red Barn
04-02-2008, 06:02 PM
And to clarify further for you Blue, that person does not exist, the mods made a fictional AW member!!! :)

BlueLucario
04-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Some people, don't take humor that well. Myself especially. What about that other person, I bet she didn't know that you guys were joking around.

StoryMonkey
04-02-2008, 06:03 PM

Mr Flibble
04-02-2008, 06:04 PM
Blue, she was a mod playing dress up. A fictional entity

So I don't feel bad about it, apart from the fact that you feel bad about it.

Huggles?

Actually I do feel bad about D R Agony. I want to see if I can get her to count backwards from a million.

megan_d
04-02-2008, 06:05 PM
That wasn't a "real" person. The account was created for the joke. I really don't understand how you could believe the mods and members here would treat a newcomer like that for real.

BlueLucario
Actually that Idea gave me an idea for book three :)

Stew21
Some people, don't take humor that well. Myself especially. What about that other person, I bet she didn't know that you guys were joking around.

yes she did. It was all part of the April Fool. I'm sorry you were frustrated and hurt.

BlueLucario
04-02-2008, 06:07 PM
That was a joke?!:rant: *Stalks a nearby MOD and rings his neck*:Soapbox:

BlueLucario
04-02-2008, 06:08 PM
Actually I do feel bad about D R Agony. I want to see if I can get her to count backwards from a million.

Wonder what D.R Agony did?

Shweta
04-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Good thing I'm a girl!
The male mods are, uh... over thattaway, Blue!
*hides behind Haggis*

Seriously though, if I'd realized you were seriously upset, I'd have sent you a PM. I wish I had :(
Feeling rather rotten about that now.

And uh, D.R.Agony was me. Didn't do anything to get banninated I think, besides being nuisancey. Just ran out of April Fool's Day.

brokenfingers
04-02-2008, 06:09 PM
That was a joke?!?!?! You mean I heaped all that abuse on a person who wasn't even real?

You people are soooo cruel.

icerose
04-02-2008, 06:10 PM
That was a joke?!:rant: *Stalks a nearby MOD and rings his neck*:Soapbox:

Agreed! Sheesh, yesterday was the weirdest day, I thought everyone here had lost their minds.

Mr Flibble
04-02-2008, 06:12 PM

Another joke.

She wanted to find out how to access her past lives( in the Pagan forum), so I gave her a few tips. They may not have been very serious ones....

Marian Perera
Don't you all feel bad?

<Dory> Are you my conscience? </Dory>

dirtsider
Well, you got me too. I thought it was a real person who was getting a real rough time. That's why I didn't post yesterday at all.

Shweta
Agreed! Sheesh, yesterday was the weirdest day, I thought everyone here had lost their minds.

s'okay, found mine under the couch just after midnight.

Shweta
04-02-2008, 06:15 PM
Well, you got me too. I thought it was a real person who was getting a real rough time. That's why I didn't post yesterday at all.

Whups!
Uh yeah, we tried to up the ridiculous enough to clue people in as the day went on, but if you were chased away by it or got really upset, you probably didn't see it getting really weird.

Beyond that, what can I say except sorry? Oh yeah! I can say this:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u62/dpat57/fooled.jpg

:D

Jersey Chick
04-02-2008, 06:15 PM
My husband was reading some of the threads over my shoulder - he was convinced we were gonzo - until I reminded him of the date. Then he just walked away shaking his head -

April Fools Day + Creative People = looniness to top all looniness. :D

III
04-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Now everyone has incentive to stick around for another year so you can be in on the joke next April Fool's Day.

364 days to go!

BlueLucario
04-02-2008, 06:18 PM
i cant belie u did that. i didn't find dat funny, ur all so mean :(

Cranky
04-02-2008, 06:19 PM

:D Forgive us?

joyce
04-02-2008, 06:20 PM

I was working all day and signed on and thought everbody had turned into a crack addict. Dragons were everywhere and then some wannabe rich dude author starts insulting people. I was about to suggest rehab for a dragon addiction. I'm glad it was April's Fools and I hadn't entered the Twilight Zone. :)

Phaeal
04-02-2008, 06:21 PM
And she's just a kid. You can't expect teenagers these days to type formally.

Oh yes I can, at least while they're here, on a writer's forum.

That aside, I fell for it long enough to give a certain member a negative rep point, but then I figured it out, duh, and sent a positive one to negate the negative.

Heh, I got a dozen people yesterday by rushing up to them and saying, "Did you hear? Hillary just QUIT!"

You should have seen the rushes to computers, radios and TVs.

Now that was mean. Me so bad.

BlueLucario
04-02-2008, 06:23 PM
:D Forgive us?

I tink bout dat

BlueLucario
04-02-2008, 06:25 PM
ty 4 makin me feel stupd

Shweta
04-02-2008, 06:26 PM

I have to admit, I actually played a rather mean joke yesterday.
Some friends of mine and I have been waiting forever to hear back about our short story submissions to a magazine. I told one of the friends, "Did you hear about the magazine's computer problems? All our files were corrupted! That's why they haven't responded."
Had her going for a minute or two :)

Cranky
04-02-2008, 06:28 PM
ty 4 makin me feel stupd

I fell for more than a few of these myself, Blue. Shweta had me totally snowed on D.R. Agony! And Fionah, that naughty lass...

Good times. Gooooood times. :D

Shweta
04-02-2008, 06:30 PM
I fell for more than a few of these myself, Blue. Shweta had me totally snowed on D.R. Agony!

I absolutely loved people's guesses as to who I might be. They started with RllgThunder, Haggis, Haskins, Jenna...
I was totally flattered by every one of those guesses :D

williemeikle
04-02-2008, 06:32 PM
http://lolcats.com/images/u/07/24/lolcatsdotcomiy0hwr7nqv87ch3g.jpg

dirtsider
04-02-2008, 06:33 PM
Don't worry, I still like you guys. :Hug2: Besides, I was in a weird mood anyway. On one hand, I felt bad for the "kid", on the other I wanted to snap at her, too. Good Gawd, the spelling and grammar made me start to twitch!!

Haggis
04-02-2008, 06:35 PM

:roll:

It was all Rolling Thunder's idea.

Shweta
04-02-2008, 06:36 PM
OMG Haggis your so mean lolol

:tongue

Soccer Mom
04-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Am I sorry? Nope! It was all good fun and most everyone had a great time. Blue, it's okay to relax and laugh. This was not a joke that was played on you personally.

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/3/11/timeoutcatre128497236979593712.jpg

Little Red Barn
04-02-2008, 06:44 PM
Blue, my daughter came home yesterday and placed her highschool newspaper on table and just about died when she started looking at it. It showed a hideous new uniform (jumper) which the teachers had picked out and said she would be wearing next year. Another article showed a teacher sporting a 'tramp tattoo' near her hiney. The phones were ringing off the hook. :) This is Catholic school btw, and finally she (daugh) realised it was all an April Fools joke. Very funny. The teachers, staff had devoted the back page to playing an April Fool's joke on their students, very creative.

ReneC
04-02-2008, 06:59 PM
Blue, I commend you for speaking out against what you perceived to be an injustice. Good for you.

That's not to say the jokes shouldn't have been played. If the world would learn to laugh a little more, we'd all be in a much better place. People need to laugh at themselves, let people laugh at them, and laugh with others. April Fool's is a blessing.

William Haskins
04-02-2008, 07:00 PM
You can't expect teenagers these days to type formally.

this statement is actually funnier than anything that happened yesterday.

icerose
04-02-2008, 07:02 PM
I'll just have to be sure to remember to avoid the next April Fool's day. Honeybea's spelling and grammar about made my head explode, especially when she said that's where writing is headed.

CaroGirl
04-02-2008, 07:02 PM
My son (grade 5) came home with a test on which, in red script was written: 0/20 R! I canít believe you did so badly!!

My husband was livid when he saw it. But it took me but a moment to get to the bottom and read that it was an April Foolís Day joke. Not bad, Teach, not bad.

dirtsider
04-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Heh, I got a dozen people yesterday by rushing up to them and saying, "Did you hear? Hillary just QUIT!"

You should have seen the rushes to computers, radios and TVs.

Now that was mean. Me so bad.

Clinton got one herself - she held a press conference and said that the Dem. decision would be based on a bowling contest.

Charlie Horse
All that seriously awesome flaming and the OP wasn't even real?

Shweta
Nobody who's read your book can doubt your sense of humor, Toothpaste :)

I'm sorry my sockpuppet made you feel embarrassed. I didn't think your early, sincere posts were silly at all - but if they'd continued I'd have PMed you just so you wouldn't be wasting time.

rugcat
04-02-2008, 07:04 PM
I thought it was brilliant. DR was so real. I totally bought it until the mods started screwing around.

CaroGirl
04-02-2008, 07:09 PM
Dang it. I miss all the good stuff. I regret that I wasnít here to partake of the tomfoolery. Damn this job that takes up so much of my precious Internet time. If my kids didnít need to eat every single day, I could quit and surf all day.

Elaine Margarett
04-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Can't say I'm much of a fan of April Fool's. Guess it's different if you're one of the group who's in on the joke from the beginning~

Feathers
04-02-2008, 07:19 PM
That was a JOKE? Ha ha ha....I knew that.....:e2hammer:

-Feathers

Shweta
04-02-2008, 07:22 PM
I totally missed all the April Fool's stuff last year. Didn't know it happened. People kept referring to it and I kept going :Huh:
But you'll be in on it next year :)

CatMuse33
04-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Awesome joke, guys! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, although I chose to refrain from posting amidst the silliness! I commend you all! :)

I esp. liked the post from her "mother" and all the typing without vowels. That was fun to decipher.
Dawn

sassandgroove
04-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Last year I was fooled well after 4/1 by that secret room. I thought somehow the mod room was accessible and even emailed ChunkyC. He assured me it was an April Fool's joke. :( But then I looked more closely at the threads and saw it was true. :)

Shweta
04-02-2008, 07:45 PM
I esp. liked the post from her "mother" and all the typing without vowels. That was fun to decipher.
Dawn

I thought the mother was a stroke of genius :) And right when DRAgony had been disemvoweled, too, and couldn't defend herself! Not sure if Honeybea/mother has fessed up yet, so I won't say who I was bowing down before.

I went back to some of my own disemvoweled posts and couldn't for the life of me figure out what they said :ROFL:

Last year I was fooled well after 4/1 by that secret room. I thought somehow the mod room was accessible and even emailed ChunkyC. He assured me it was an April Fool's joke. :( But then I looked more closely at the threads and saw it was true. :)

I, uh... discovered it around January this year, I think. And was so confused!

tallus83
04-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Be glad you weren't in the Tech Help Forum.

Mr Flibble
04-02-2008, 08:06 PM
There's April Fools and April Fools. Some are designed to be funny without hurting people, like this one (http://ww2.wizards.com/Company/Misc/Index.aspx?doc=pr_20060401a).

No one got hurt here though as far as I'm aware, because the people getting flamed were a) fictional and b) posting with the intention of getting flamed ( by those who didn't get the joke) / and or getting funny responses ( from those that did)

I've been the person suffering so others can laugh far too often to find it funny.

That's not fun.:Hug2: Personally I laugh at myself before anyone else can.

Stew21
04-02-2008, 08:08 PM
Truly, the people who got flamed were sockpuppets. The people who flamed them the most, were mods dressed in other mods' names and avatars. It was never intended to make anyone feel bad.

TypoSlayer
04-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Some people, don't take humor that well. Myself especially.

*Hugs for Blue*

Toothpaste
04-02-2008, 08:21 PM
No one got hurt here though as far as I'm aware, because the people getting flamed were a) fictional and b) posting with the intention of getting flamed ( by those who didn't get the joke) / and or getting funny responses ( from those that did)

Okay I deleted my post because I didn't think it was worth it, but I just wanted to respond to this. Keep in mind I have not been traumatised by the event, nor do I honestly care at all anymore about yesterday. Seriously. I have more insignificant things to worry about, like what I am going to have for lunch today.

BUT.

The fact is it actually wasn't just the fake poster and the funny responses who were involved. There were people who took the poster's questions seriously (cough me cough) and went out of their way to answer them carefully. I have to confess being taken in like that was not a pleasant feeling for me because I really hate feeling embarrassed. I also hate embarrassing others. But that's just me. I don't much like pranks as a sense of humour. I am, however, aware that others do, and who am I to tell them they can't have their fun too. I tend to just put up with it, and keep mum.

But I just wanted to point out that it wasn't exactly a "no one got hurt" kind of thing, and you do have to watch out for collateral damage in these sorts of situations when you are an instigator, especially if they are meant to be lighthearted. And yes, the damage wasn't exactly significant, but I still felt a negative emotion due to the joke (as slight and quick to pass as it was), and it is worth noting. And you must accept the responsibility as a prankster that not everyone is going to find the joke funny, and some may even be hurt by it. That's the risk you take.

Little Red Barn
04-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Okay I deleted my post because I didn't think it was worth it, but I just wanted to respond to this. Keep in mind I have not been traumatised by the event, nor do I honestly care at all anymore about yesterday. Seriously. I have more insignificant things to worry about, like what I am going to have for lunch today.

BUT.

The fact is it actually wasn't just the fake poster and the funny responses who were involved. There were people who took the poster's questions seriously (cough me cough) and went out of their way to answer them carefully. I have to confess being taken in like that was not a pleasant feeling for me because I really hate feeling embarrassed. I also hate embarrassing others. But that's just me. I don't much like pranks as a sense of humour. I am, however, aware that others do, and who am I to tell them they can't have their fun too. I tend to just put up with it, and keep mum.

But I just wanted to point out that it wasn't exactly a "no one got hurt" kind of thing, and you do have to watch out for collateral damage in these sorts of situations when you are an instigator, especially if they are meant to be lighthearted. And yes, the damage wasn't exactly significant, but I still felt a negative emotion due to the joke (as slight and quick to pass as it was), and it is worth noting.
Hey sweetie, life is so serious and sometimes so very hurtful, but laughter is indeed the best medicine. So science says, I for one, was able to forget my worries and laugh and I thank all those who made my day a lil more happier.

Hugs TP, sorry you didn't feel this way.

Cranky
04-02-2008, 08:28 PM

BUT.

But I just wanted to point out that it wasn't exactly a "no one got hurt" kind of thing, and you do have to watch out for collateral damage in these sorts of situations when you are an instigator, especially if they are meant to be lighthearted. And yes, the damage wasn't exactly significant, but I still felt a negative emotion due to the joke (as slight and quick to pass as it was), and it is worth noting. And you must accept the responsibility as a prankster that not everyone is going to find the joke funny, and some may even be hurt by it. That's the risk you take.

I tried to PM you, but your inbox was full, sorry!

Anyways, I understand what you're getting at. Different strokes for different folks, and all that. For bad example, I detest the American Pie movies. Most people seem to think they're hilarious, while I think they're just gross.

Hugs to everyone. I don't want anyone to have bad feelings about this!

Sonneillon
04-02-2008, 08:28 PM

You guys seriously didn't figure it out? I thought the two of you were just playing along with the mods for extra laughs or something.

Wow. *flabbergasted*

Mr Flibble
04-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Ahh TP, don't be embarrassed for being nice!

In any joke there is always someone, somewhere who may be hurt - take the My Little Pony RPG game that Polenth linked to. My daughter would have been upset if she'd seen that and then found out it isn't true. Doesn't mean it's a cruel joke at all.

Sorry if it upset you though.

Shweta
:e2grouphu

Shadow_Ferret
Don't feel bad, Blue. I hate April 1st with a passion. There's no such thing as a practical joke because someone will always get hurt. I've never understood the whole idea behind hurting people for fun.

Toothpaste
04-02-2008, 08:31 PM
Hey sweetie, life is so serious and sometimes so very hurtful, but laughter is indeed the best medicine. So science says, I for one, was able to forget my worries and laugh and I thank all those who made my day a lil more happier.

Hugs TP, sorry you didn't feel this way.

See I knew that would be the response, lol! Just because I don't like pranks doesn't mean I don't have a sense of humour and can't laugh at life. And just because I was responding to IdiotsRUs, doesn't mean I really cared all that much about yesterday's prank. I was responding to the attitude "no harm no foul". It was a much broader discussion topic I was engaging in. I often think people don't always think pranks through, and I was pointing out exactly that. IdiotsRUs had categorised who all were involved in the joke, and I was pointing out that one group had been left out. The innocent bystander, who neither engaged in the outrage, nor got the joke immediately.

My post wasn't a plea for hugs, though to be honest I love hugs so I appreciate it thank you!! It was more a philosophical kind of response than me crying over spilled milk. :)

ETA: You guys are sweet! Honestly it was a silly April Fools joke and I am good with it. That's why I wanted to just let it go in the first place and deleted my initial post! :)

Little Red Barn
04-02-2008, 08:37 PM
See I knew that would be the response, lol! Just because I don't like pranks doesn't mean I don't have a sense of humour and can't laugh at life. And just because I was responding to IdiotsRUs, doesn't mean I really cared all that much about yesterday's prank. I was responding to the attitude "no harm no foul". It was a much broader discussion topic I was engaging in. I often think people don't always think pranks through, and I was pointing out exactly that. IdiotsRUs had categorised who all were involved in the joke, and I was pointing out that one group had been left out. The innocent bystander, who neither engaged in the outrage, nor got the joke immediately.

My post wasn't a plea for hugs, though to be honest I love hugs so I appreciate it thank you!! It was more a philosophical kind of response than me crying over spilled milk. :)
Well, hugs anyway.
Hubby has this fake spider and he always gets me with it! I hate it. One morn, got up and there it was huge ol' spider in the kitchen sink. I reached for it and it jumped, I about died, it WAS a REAL spider this time, ackkkksss. I burned his fake spider :D

Jenifer
I loved yesterday. :D Faaantastic.

I'm a member of a forum on which people cry and hate you forever if you blow 'em a raspberry. This is a welcome change!

I especially enjoyed Rick's commentary. Bwahahah.

Jersey Chick
I got taken in at first - and then thought the mods were ripping into newbies kind of rough - which made me think... So you weren't the onliest one, TP. :D

Then it got to the point where I wasn't sure who was who anymore. And then I went and hid.

Mr Flibble
04-02-2008, 08:39 PM
IdiotsRUs had categorised who all were involved in the joke, and I was pointing out that one group had been left out. The innocent bystander, who neither engaged in the outrage, nor got the joke immediately.

Dang, I always forget someone!

Raise a nice question though. Is there any humour without cruelty?

Shweta
04-02-2008, 08:40 PM
And it's a good philosophical point.
Honestly, I was worried about newbies getting confused or scared, but I was surprised to learn that anyone who dislikes April 1 jokes would even turn up or post on April 1 -- given that it's a group tradition at this point, and that so many people were speculating beforehand and talking about "what the mods would do on April 1st". So I certainly assumed that what I was doing wouldn't bother anyone who was reading it, unless they didn't know about it (and where I caught that, I sent pms). It's just not the kind of thing I'd do without tacit consent from all.

Anyway, the thing is that this leads me to the thought that... it's not like the alternative, of not having any pranks, would have been neutral. I think it would have disappointed a number of people rather a lot- the people who were looking forward to a surprise, and to getting to figure out the joke. So then, allowing that no approach will hurt nobody in a group this large, there is just no such thing as no harm no foul. It's all a matter of negotiating value to different people, and of assumptions about what people will do in the circumstances.

I'm not saying anything about what would be an ideal answer -- I have no clue. I'm just thinking out loud.

Does that make any sense?

Toothpaste
04-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Ah and there's the rub! It's all well and good for me to be all finger waving at pranks, but some of the humour I like is extremely dark and I have no doubt probably would hurt more people by offending them, than this prank did in embarrassing me. Food for thought.

Jersey Chick
04-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Come to think of it, I don't think there is humor without cruelty of some sort. Unless you count knock-knock jokes...

Jenifer
04-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Come to think of it, I don't think there is humor without cruelty of some sort. Unless you count knock-knock jokes...

What kind of sissy knock-knock jokes are you tellin'?

Jersey Chick
04-02-2008, 08:43 PM
I have a 7 year old - our knock-knock repertoire is infused with a heavy dose of sissy.

Now, Andrew Dice Clay's Nursery rhymes on the other hand....

Sunshine13
04-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Probably not :P _in regards to jokes without hurting someones feelings-

Shadow_Ferret
04-02-2008, 08:49 PM
but I was surprised to learn that anyone who dislikes April 1 jokes would even turn up or post on April 1 -- given that it's a group tradition at this point, and that so many people were speculating beforehand and talking about "what the mods would do on April 1st". So I certainly assumed that what I was doing wouldn't bother anyone who was reading it, unless they didn't know about it (and where I caught that, I sent pms). It's just not the kind of thing I'd do without tacit consent from all.

First, I didn't see any posts "before hand" about speculation on what the mods would do.

Second, I naively keep hoping everyone will outgrow this silliness. Since I don't "celebrate" the day, I forget it's there until I get suckered in and then I get angry and leave.

Jenifer
04-02-2008, 08:50 PM
I don't think I'd be into life without a little silliness, myself.

Shweta
04-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Ah and there's the rub! It's all well and good for me to be all finger waving at pranks, but some of the humour I like is extremely dark and I have no doubt probably would hurt more people by offending them, than this prank did in embarrassing me. Food for thought.

But at the same time, if you refrained from indulging your humor, then the people who love it wouldn't benefit from it.

What kind of sissy knock-knock jokes are you tellin'?

Uh Jen...they're knock-knock, not knock-out, you're not actually supposed to hit anybody.

First, I didn't see any posts "before hand" about speculation on what the mods would do.

And I didn't see any of the April 1st stuff last year, and missed a lot of joked because of it. It happens.

Second, I naively keep hoping everyone will outgrow this silliness. Since I don't "celebrate" the day, I forget it's there until I get suckered in and then I get angry and leave.

See, now this I think is actually hurtful. You're saying that everyone who likes a form of humor you don't just needs to grow up?
Well, okay, personally I don't have any desire at all to grow up, but the value judgment tagged on to that is as mean as anything I saw yesterday, IMO.

nerds
04-02-2008, 08:52 PM
. . . You can't expect teenagers these days to type formally . . .

I hope this is meant as a joke.

DeleyanLee
04-02-2008, 08:53 PM

You mean the inanity of knock-knock jokes aren't cruel in and of themselves?

Seriously, I'm a relative newbie and I think I saw maybe 1 post in the last month or so speculating what the mods might do on April Fool's Day. When I saw the joke post about Bill becoming Obama's VP choice, my eyes went wide but when I read it (and all the subsequent similar odd posts), I smiled at the great tongue-in-cheekness and sat back and enjoyed. I had some of my posts altered by mods (I was smurfed! I detest smurfs, FWIW), it was still more fun to roll with the silliness than get all huffy about it.

Personally, I think it's a sad thing that good-natured silliness on a well-known day for silliness is taken the wrong way, whatever the reason.

Jersey Chick
04-02-2008, 08:59 PM
I have a very sarcastic sense of humor - which is hard to convey on a messageboard (hence my bordering-on-the-obsessive use of smileys) - but the silliness was contagious for me yesterday and I had a blast - even in posts that might have made me look like a doofus.

If enjoying one day of complete goofiness makes me immature, I can live with that.

Shadow_Ferret
04-02-2008, 09:00 PM
I don't think I'd be into life without a little silliness, myself.

See, now this I think is actually hurtful. You're saying that everyone who likes a form of humor you don't just needs to grow up?
Well, okay, personally I don't have any desire at all to grow up, but the value judgment tagged on to that is as mean as anything I saw yesterday, IMO.
I enjoy silliness.

I don't enjoy pranks that only those "in" on the joke understand is a prank and it leads to hurt or angry feelings. That's not humor to me. That's mean-spiritedness.

Cranky
04-02-2008, 09:00 PM
I have a very sarcastic sense of humor - which is hard to convey on a messageboard (hence my bordering-on-the-obsessive use of smileys) - but the silliness was contagious for me yesterday and I had a blast - even in posts that might have made me look like a doofus.

If enjoying one day of complete goofiness makes me immature, I can live with that.

You and me both.

Sugarbritches. :D

Sarpedon
04-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Oh come now, I was fooled too and I could laugh at it. Your good advice wasn't wasted; some lurker will see it, or you can copy it and save it for someone who isn't fake.

Some advice for Blue, who is only 18. When I was 18, I took myself very seriously. I thought I was a genius and acted like it. Then I went to college and discovered that I wasn't as smart as I thought I was, and learned humility very quickly. The trouble with Humility, is that you can't learn it without being humiliated.

Western culture has a long tradition of holidays where people behave strangely, and normal social conventions are discarded. April Fool's is a pale reflection of what was once a day of total social disruption and insanity. Why do it? Well, for starters, its fun, so long as you have the proper attitude. But there's more to it than that. It taught humility, because the more high and mighty you were, the more you were a target of fun on that day. Sure it could be cruel, but life is cruel. Laughing at misfortune is a useful thing to learn. Especially for such a petty misfortune as being fooled on an internet website. It isn't worth it to get upset over. Few things really are.

Jersey Chick
04-02-2008, 09:01 PM
But I miss the sausage ;)

Cranky
04-02-2008, 09:04 PM
But I miss the sausage ;)

AW will never be the same.

Jersey Chick
04-02-2008, 09:06 PM
Well, it was fun while it lasted.

paprikapink
04-02-2008, 09:06 PM
In case anyone ever decides to tally, cast me in the "don't like April Fools at AW" column. I mean, c'mon -- the point is to make a fool of the folks who aren't as clever as you or as in on it as you and who don't know it's a joke, right? That's what April Fools is. I think what really makes it unpleasant for me is that the mods, y'know, the ones who keep things running smoothly and fairly and all that, are often the instigators. It helps that they all made funny with their names this year. But thousands of people read this board these days. This game relies too heavily on the us vs you aspect.

That said, I don't think my feeling that way means anything needs to change. I still love AW and all the mods and the rest of you clunkheads too. It's probably fairly healthy to feel your ignorance mocked at least once a year, uncomfortable though it may be. But it's also probably healthy to speak up, and to give the speaker-uppers a fair listen.

Cranky
04-02-2008, 09:09 PM
I don't know about that. I susbcribe to the "role-reversal" aspect of April Fool's day. Hence, my inept wooing of women with a muscle-bound avatar brandishing a giant sausage.

It wasn't all bashing pretend newbies. A lot of it was just plain silliness.

Shweta
04-02-2008, 09:09 PM
I enjoy silliness.

I don't enjoy pranks that only those "in" on the joke understand is a prank and it leads to hurt or angry feelings. That's not humor to me. That's mean-spiritedness.

Which, apart from not being anything I saw yesterday, is different from immaturity. And your earlier comment was that pranksters should "grow up".

Yes, there were jokes yesterday that people didn't know the specifics of to start off with -- but that's part of what made them jokes. Every single one was an invitation to figure them out, with clues being dropped all over the place, because none of us had any intent to cause hurt or angry feelings. And none of these were meant to only make sense to people who started off "in" that group.

Now, someone who's forgetting, or refusing to remember, that it's April 1st, and not looking for jokes? Sure. But that's not really the expected behavior, IMO, and it's unfair to call everyone who does enjoy the silliness mean-spirited because you don't.

Jersey Chick
04-02-2008, 09:12 PM
I raise my hand as one of those who didn't get all the jokes. One "newbie" posed as a rich and famous author - one who didn't know his apostrophe from his elbow - and I fell for it. But, now it's funny - cuz I was serious and he weren't real.

And now I know for next year.

But it's all good - the silliness that I was in on was just because I was in a silly mood from this place. No one told me all the inside jokes - and even now I'm doing the "What the--- that was fake???"

And it's still funny. Maybe even more so.

Shweta
04-02-2008, 09:16 PM
I don't know about that. I susbcribe to the "role-reversal" aspect of April Fool's day. Hence, my inept wooing of women with a muscle-bound avatar brandishing a giant sausage.

It wasn't all bashing pretend newbies. A lot of it was just plain silliness.

And I think that's a much better way to understand the "mods gone wild" side of things than any attempt to fool or pick on anybody. The people we were primarily messing with were ourselves.

And Jersey Chick, I know I still don't know most of the jokes :D
DRAgony took so much time I haven't even looked yet! I suspect I'll find out that something I'm taking seriously is a joke... around January.

Cranky
04-02-2008, 09:16 PM
I raise my hand as one of those who didn't get all the jokes. One "newbie" posed as a rich and famous author - one who didn't know his apostrophe from his elbow - and I fell for it. But, now it's funny - cuz I was serious and he weren't real.

And now I know for next year.

But it's all good - the silliness that I was in on was just because I was in a silly mood from this place. No one told me all the inside jokes - and even now I'm doing the "What the--- that was fake???"

And it's still funny. Maybe even more so.

I keep hearing about this infamous poster, but I somehow missed it. Damn.

I probably would have fallen for that one, too.

Jersey Chick
04-02-2008, 09:17 PM
His user name was Hivehome and he was an ass. Well, he was a pretend ass. I was a doofus. A real one. :D

jeez, i hope he was pretend. otherwise i just really put my foot in it.

Cranky
04-02-2008, 09:19 PM
His user name was Hivehome and he was an ass. Well, he was a pretend ass. I was a doofus. A real one. :D

jeez, i hope he was pretend. otherwise i just really put my foot in it.

BlueLucario
04-02-2008, 09:22 PM
I forgotten yesterday was april fools day.

I even planned this prank out.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=q7Kf2ZWqmkc
http://youtube.com/watch?v=DiInvIYzq6Q

Lol Check it out. The second one is funny.

Sonneillon
04-02-2008, 09:23 PM
I have a suspicion that some of the people who aren't taking the jokes very well were subject to mean-spirited teasing early in their lives.

I was too, and to this day, I have an extremely thin skin regarding teasing, criticism, and being made a fool of. Doubtless, I might have felt differently about this April Fools Day prank if I hadn't figured it out two posts in. One of the great struggles I've had with my husband, who's a goofball, is learning what is and isn't worth getting worked up over. On this issue, I am made of fail... it irritates me that he teases me about being short, of all things. There's very little I hate more than looking stupid. But you folks need to understand that the people who made you feel small and worthless in the past are not the people here, and adjust your reactions accordingly.

This was not mean-spirited because none of it was done in a mean spirit. No one was covered in water, slime, or syrup, no one's property was damaged, and nobody on this site is going to think less of anyone who was taken in by the prank. You haven't been humiliated, you haven't been made to look stupid, you just got strung along by a joke on a day famous for jokes. Hahahahaha... back to real life.

icerose
04-02-2008, 09:25 PM
You guys seriously didn't figure it out? I thought the two of you were just playing along with the mods for extra laughs or something.

Wow. *flabbergasted*

Yeah, I fell for it, I thought she was a real person, even scolded one of the mods over referring to that poster in another post. Sorry mod! :flag: I think I'm one of the most gullible people on the planet. I felt sincere pity for the mom of Honeybea who came on to apologize for her daughter's behavior and expressed frustration in the post. I wanted to reach out to her but didn't think I could reach her as it was her "daughter's" account.

III
04-02-2008, 09:28 PM
*sigh*

Shweta
04-02-2008, 09:29 PM
You know, Sonneillon, you made me realize something.

I was picked on and subjected to mean-spirited teasing for most of my childhood. I think that's part of why I'm getting this upset that people thought I would mock them or humiliate them, or that anyone would here in AW. This is one of the first communities I've found that doesn't do that sort of thing. So it's one of the first places where I've felt I could let loose and play around, without nasty assumptions all over the place, and that feeling of safety is really quite important to me. I hate to have it shaken by misreadings of my intent.

But I can see why, when that feeling of safety is important to people, they hate to have it shaken too.

CatMuse33
04-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Was the April 1st foolery limited to this thread, or did I miss fun in other places? (I just want to go back to read... it won't be quite as much fun now that I know it's fake, but I could use a small laugh.)

Nothing happened over in Freelance Writing. (At least, I don't think so...there are a few members I wonder about, but they signed on before 4/1.) :)
Dawn

stormie
04-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Aw, don't worry, blue. I missed the whole thread. As usual. :Shrug:
(Can someone point me to where it is? I'm too lazy to do a search and I need a laugh.)

Jenifer
04-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Uh Jen...they're knock-knock, not knock-out, you're not actually supposed to hit anybody.

Your mom.

When I was 18 (not all that long ago- I'm 21 now) I was pretty familiar with what a moron I am/can be and haven't taken myself seriously in... years. Or anyone else for that matter.

Shadow_Ferret
04-02-2008, 09:38 PM
I have a suspicion that some of the people who aren't taking the jokes very well were subject to mean-spirited teasing early in their lives.

Ya think?

For next year I'm marking my calender, "Avoid AW for the day."

Because, yes, I've come to trust this place and then blam!

Et tu, Brutus?

heyjude
04-02-2008, 09:38 PM
Stormie, just look down a bit. "I got a book idea" by Honeybea.

Um, I'll admit it. I read the first couple of lines of her post and, thinking it was real, left. Didn't want to see the abuse she would incur.

I also fell for the idiot in the Christian forum.

::sigh:: I gotta get it together for next year.

geardrops
04-02-2008, 09:39 PM
I was the subject of a good deal of mean-spirited teasing in my youth, as well as just flat-out cruelty.

I grew up. I learned to laugh at myself. See how long people try to make an ass of you when you're beating them to the punch.

If this tom-foolery gets to you this badly because of a poor youth, then I'm sorry you haven't moved past your childhood.

Shweta
04-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Was the April 1st foolery limited to this thread, or did I miss fun in other places? (I just want to go back to read... it won't be quite as much fun now that I know it's fake, but I could use a small laugh.)

Nothing happened over in Freelance Writing. (At least, I don't think so...there are a few members I wonder about, but they signed on before 4/1.) :)
Dawn

My sockpuppet's threads are here:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...ad.php?t=97903 (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97903)
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...ad.php?t=97906 (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97906)
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...ad.php?t=97919 (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97919)
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...ad.php?t=97923 (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97923)
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...ad.php?t=97924 (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97924)
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...ad.php?t=98046 (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98046)
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...ad.php?t=98045 (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98045)
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...ad.php?t=98057 (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98057)

I know a lot of other stuff happened, but besides the rampant name-switching I didn't follow much of it.

Aw, don't worry, blue. I missed the whole thread. As usual. :Shrug:
(Can someone point me to where it is? I'm too lazy to do a search and I need a laugh.)

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97912

stormie
04-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Thanks heyjude...I've got to see this so I can say I didn't totally miss something. Again.

Stew21
04-02-2008, 09:41 PM
We'll be setting up a subforum in AW History Archives to port all of the April Fool's threads for 08 for everyone to read.
In most cases you'll see mods abusing other mods and mod sockpuppets. I think most of us believed that outrageous disrespect by a moderator would indicate a thread was a joke.

changing other members to different ID's and different avatars was all part of the fun for us, hoping more would join in the fun.

We did not attempt or intend to humiliate, embarrass or anger anyone.

maestrowork
04-02-2008, 09:43 PM
I wasn't here yesterday.

Stew21
04-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Ray/Haskins is innocent bystander.

Jenifer
I was the subject of a good deal of mean-spirited teasing in my youth, as well as just flat-out cruelty.

I grew up. I learned to laugh at myself. See how long people try to make an ass of you when you're beating them to the punch.

If this tom-foolery gets to you this badly because of a poor youth, then I'm sorry you haven't moved past your childhood.

You just can't blame other people for your own squeamishness forever. :) You have to take responsibility for yourself sometime!

I told people I wouldn't set foot out of my house yesterday... and I didn't, really. I was here, yucking it up with you people.

BlueLucario
Did anyone take a look at the video?

I planned out this prank to be played yesterday. I would have done it if i didn't forget

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DiInvIYzq6Q

Shweta
04-02-2008, 09:45 PM
I haven't yet, but I'm planning to, Blue :)

And Stew (this post is for Blue and Stew!) wouldn't Ray be an innocent... farawayfrom...stander? Since he wasn't here, and all.

Roger J Carlson
04-02-2008, 09:45 PM
*sigh*You've got to stop that, you know. Do we need an intervention?

Stew21
04-02-2008, 09:51 PM
the sighing cracks me up still. :)

JennaGlatzer
04-02-2008, 09:52 PM
If you want to specify which parts of the day you thought were mean, fine, but you can't generalize like this. I turned 5 people into variations of MacAllister. William Haskins went around as Mac pretending to lock threads for reasons that made no sense (like "rampant fighting" in threads were there was no fighting). Roger thanked Dawno for unlocking a thread that was never locked (and Dawno was never in). I edited 2 pages of posts to add the word "smurf" in all sorts of silly spots. We switched names and avatars around, with Mac purposely making typos and adding different capitalizations to clue people in on the fact that we were messing around. None of that is in any shape or form mean-spirited nor meant to make a "fool" of anyone.

The guilt trip, however, is a real downer.

Cranky
04-02-2008, 09:54 PM
If you want to specify which parts of the day you thought were mean, fine, but you can't generalize like this. I turned 5 people into variations of MacAllister. William Haskins went around as Mac pretending to lock threads for reasons that made no sense (like "rampant fighting" in threads were there was no fighting). Roger thanked Dawno for unlocking a thread that was never locked (and Dawno was never in). I edited 2 pages of posts to add the word "smurf" in all sorts of silly spots. We switched names and avatars around, with Mac purposely making typos and adding different capitalizations to clue people in on the fact that we were messing around. None of that is in any shape or form mean-spirited nor meant to make a "fool" of anyone.

Haskins banned me when I was being innocent. I guess he missed my worst offenses. The whims of a mod.

*sigh*

geardrops
04-02-2008, 09:56 PM
I'm just trying to figure out who D R Agony was. I've been challenged and I must rise to it!

Stew21
04-02-2008, 09:57 PM
Colorado_Guy (ahem....that'd be me, at least yesterday) followed one newbie sockpuppet around and called him an idiot for most of the day.
colorado-guy would never behave that way. The blatant disrespect by a mod was supposed to be the tip-off.

Stew21
04-02-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm just trying to figure out who D R Agony was. I've been challenged and I must rise to it!

I thought DR Agony was already outed up thread. Let me see if i can find it for you.

eta: here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2224469&postcount=15)

geardrops
04-02-2008, 10:00 PM
I thought DR Agony was already outed up thread. Let me see if i can find it for you.

eta: here (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2224469&postcount=15)

Missed that. Also, I thought so (due to the rapid back-and-forth).

Man, logging out and logging in so much must have made for a fun evening, huh? :)

C.bronco
04-02-2008, 10:02 PM
Good thing I'm a girl!
The male mods are, uh... over thattaway, Blue!
*hides behind Haggis*

Seriously though, if I'd realized you were seriously upset, I'd have sent you a PM. I wish I had :(
Feeling rather rotten about that now.

And uh, D.R.Agony was me. Didn't do anything to get banninated I think, besides being nuisancey. Just ran out of April Fool's Day.

Sheesh, that's no fair! I thought a non-fiction book about dragons would be interesting, and I think Leonard Nimoy would agree! The legends must be rooted in something!

Shweta
04-02-2008, 10:03 PM
What back and forth? Between DRAgony (who was me) and Shwebb (who was actually ChaosTitan)?

I barely interacted with her at all :)
And I had two different browsers up. The hardest thing... okay, the second hardest thing was remembering which was which. I messed up a couple times, had to delete a post quickly, and sent a modly reassuring rep point from DRAgony's account :D

The hardest thing was the spelling. I had to keep inserting spelling and grammar problems.

Sheesh, that's no fair! I thought a non-fiction book about dragons would be interesting, and I think Leonard Nimoy would agree! The legends must be rooted in something!

But don't you think A Flight of Dragons covers that ground already?

Jersey Chick
04-02-2008, 10:03 PM
I missed the smurfing of threads (what a great word: smurfing). I thought the mods were being pretty brutal - they totally shattered my trust in them, BTW ;).

But it was fun! I knew names were switched, and it got to the point where I wasn't even sure I was still me. I ended up a fluffy pink thingamawhoo instead of Hobbes, but it was okay. Felt like I belonged since I missed the goofiness last year.

No guilt trip here - I had a blast. :D

geardrops
04-02-2008, 10:06 PM
What back and forth? Between DRAgony (who was me) and Shwebb (who was actually ChaosTitan)?

I'm... illiterate.

Also, you and Shwebb need more differenter names.

I also need more coffee.

aka eraser
04-02-2008, 10:08 PM
I think it's unfortunate that some folks were upset. But I can understand newcomers, or those unfamiliar with April 1st pranks, feeling that way (or at least bewildered).

I'm disappointed in some who've been around the AW block for awhile though. By now, I'd hope they'd realize that the mods here work hard at keeping these boards a civil, fun and worthwhile place to hang out. If "we" are acting so out of character, I'd expect a light to go off, followed by knowing smiles and a nod to the date.

rugcat
04-02-2008, 10:09 PM
In the PC&E forum, every day is April 1st. At least, judging from some of the posts.

Roger J Carlson
04-02-2008, 10:09 PM
Colorado_Guy (ahem....that'd be me, at least yesterday) followed one newbie sockpuppet around and called him an idiot for most of the day.
colorado-guy would never behave that way. The blatant disrespect by a mod was supposed to be the tip-off.Good point. In the Christian board, Mac unlocked a thread that I had locked, did so publicly, and let said "newbie" disrespect me. Mac would never over-rule one of her mods like that. It just doesn't happen.

Ervin
04-02-2008, 10:10 PM
Oh god, first a massive troll feed and now this...

Phaeal

Me, too, re the dark humor stuff. Don't beg, I'm not unleashing any of it here. Well, all right, maybe next April 1...

So, DR Agony got me to write two really deep, really serious responses, but I'm not embarrassed, because the little dragon gave me two rep points for 'em.

Score!

Shweta
I'm... illiterate.

Also, you and Shwebb need more differenter names.

I also need more coffee.

You know, it's pretty amazing how well you type for an illiterate person. You should go on TV or something :D

But Shwebb and I can't have differenter names! Not without an operation. We're Shwiamese twins. We're joined at the Shwe-.

That's why I was wandering around going "Schwebb doesnt like me shes mean"
And cracking up at the very thought :)

icerose
I think it's unfortunate that some folks were upset. But I can understand newcomers, or those unfamiliar with April 1st pranks, feeling that way (or at least bewildered).

I'm disappointed in some who've been around the AW block for awhile though. By now, I'd hope they'd realize that the mods here work hard at keeping these boards a civil, fun and worthwhile place to hang out. If "we" are acting so out of character, I'd expect a light to go off, followed by knowing smiles and a nod to the date.

I was bewildered myself because I knew how the mods usually act, I was so confused.

Now that I understand it, I can't believe I didn't get it, but then again, see my upper post on the gulible issue. I also missed the last april fools so I didn't see how things went around here the last time.

Le Mot Juste
04-02-2008, 10:14 PM
I am locked in the throes of ambiguity for not having had the time to check in yesterday. On the one hand - I missed the fun. On the other hand - I would have been waaaaaaaaay more confused than I've been by some of the new acronyms and writerspeak.

This place gets more interesting every day.

kristie911
04-02-2008, 10:15 PM
All week I'd been saying I was going to avoid AW for the day because I remember the chaos that occured LAST April 1st. In the end, I couldn't resist and spent most of the day here. It's good fun...though I will admit being just a little bit worried Honeybea and DRagony might just be real people. :tongue

As confused as I was...I'm looking forward to next year.

Shwebb
04-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Geez. Doesn't anyone want to know who the guilty Bea is?

Because I want to know. Dammit. That was just plain foul. If I hadn't been running around putting out fires that D.R. Agony was starting and cleaning up after Chaos-as-me messes, I'd have . . .

Wait, this is April 2, right? Sorry. Still getting carried away, I guess.

Honestly, I didn't think the Honeybea would have made that big of a splash. That's why I made her up. And when people started taking her seriously, I honestly would have rather that she remained a "real" person who got banned by her mother.

Because the last thing I wanted to do was hurt people's feelings. And no, there were few mods who knew who I was, actually, until late in the day.

Really, I'm sorry. Please forgive me.

a_sharp
The whole April Fool's thing is a joke!

Cranky
Well, just because I still can't believe I said all this stuff, here's some of my greatest hits from yesterday.

Please don't ban me!

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97981

dpaterso
04-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Take it outside!

-Derek

Sarpedon
04-02-2008, 10:28 PM
April Fool's day is a parody of life. The one day a year where we make fun of the rest of the year.

DeleyanLee
04-02-2008, 10:31 PM
I missed the smurfing of threads (what a great word: smurfing). :D

Obessive Rep Point Checkers got smurfed--and then we kept it going for a while.

Great fun.

geardrops
04-02-2008, 10:35 PM
Obessive Rep Point Checkers got smurfed--and then we kept it going for a while.

Great fun.

I just got in my head that Family Guy sketch.

"Saw you leaving with Smurfette last night."
"Yeah, man. In the parking lot? She started smurfing me."
"No smurfin' way!"

writin52
04-02-2008, 10:44 PM
You mean you don't know? We have! Just that some of us hide it better than others;)

stormie
04-02-2008, 10:46 PM
Speak for yourself, writin. I never hide my lost mind. :D

Shweta
04-02-2008, 10:48 PM
Hard to hide, when it's lost.
Though I suppose losing can be the result of hiding done too well.

rhymegirl
04-02-2008, 10:50 PM
this statement is actually funnier than anything that happened yesterday.

Good one, William.

stormie
04-02-2008, 10:53 PM
Of course.

icerose
04-02-2008, 11:05 PM

This is how I lose about 90% of my things. I find too good of a place for it.

Soccer Mom
04-02-2008, 11:08 PM
If you guys think you were confused, try switching identities sometime. Getting reps and PMs from yourself is surreal, baby. I was in on the tomfoolery and still got confused about who I was talking to at times. Except for my new BFF Spinal Tapestry and his quality kung fu Power Ranger poetry. :D

I think my favorite part was all the Macs running around. Did we have five? That was brilliance.

Shweta
04-02-2008, 11:19 PM
I gave Shwebb and the real Temlyn avatars of mine to use, so I got really confused running into myself all over :D

Gravity
04-02-2008, 11:22 PM
Blue, yesterday was April Fool's day.

And yer monkey has hemorrhoids. :hat: Just sayin'.

Terran
04-02-2008, 11:27 PM
I'm still thoroughly confused as to who was who. I was pretty sure all the crazy newbies running around were AWers on crack but wasn't positive.

Next year I vow to be just as heartless and unfeeling as the rest of you.

Stew21
04-02-2008, 11:30 PM
I avoided a lot of newbs yesterday until I got confirmation from another mod if they were real or not. I didn't want to assume all the newbs were fakes, even ones who looked like it.

Soccer Mom
04-02-2008, 11:31 PM
I'm still thoroughly confused as to who was who. I was pretty sure all the crazy newbies running around were AWers on crack but wasn't positive.

Next year I vow to be just as heartless and unfeeling as the rest of you.

And we promise to see that you get a vile new avatar for the special day.

nerds
04-02-2008, 11:36 PM
For me the entire day was like being in a theatre-in-the-round watching expert farce, a wonderfully entertaining day of fun. Maybe the Mods should start a traveling repertory company. Many thanks for a memorably fun day.

Roger J Carlson
04-02-2008, 11:44 PM
For me the entire day was like being in a theatre-in-the-round watching expert farce, a wonderfully entertaining day of fun. Maybe the Mods should start a traveling repertory company. Many thanks for a memorably fun day.For our next gig, we're doing Tartuffe. I wanted to be Tartuffe, but Mac cast me as Orgon.

Terran
04-02-2008, 11:55 PM
And we promise to see that you get a vile new avatar for the special day.

:eek:

Shweta
04-02-2008, 11:58 PM
Of course, you'll have to wait a year to see it...

Roger J Carlson
04-03-2008, 12:00 AM
Of course, you'll have to wait a year to see it...whups. I thought he'd already been given it...

paprikapink
04-03-2008, 12:01 AM

April Fool's day is, you know, a thing we do. People do these wacky-antic things. They find out what they can get away with, what price is okay with them to pay for a laugh, what isn't. The day after, people bitch about the stuff other people did. I think it's part of the process. Isn't the most successful April Fool's joke the one that has your loved ones calling you an asshole, even though they still love you?

I can't believe I'm thinking this much about this.

Other thought -- I wasn't particularly teased as a kid. I was more likely to be doing the teasing. Now I have CPTSL (chronic post-teasing self-loathing, aka guilt.).

JennaGlatzer
04-03-2008, 12:02 AM
Terran, you were actually next on my list to get MacAllistered, but I was working on a good rhyme when I got called away from the keyboard. MacAllister Zone? MacAllister Phone? I was leaning toward MacAllister Clone but hadn't settled on it yet.

Shweta
04-03-2008, 12:07 AM
I think you should delete this post, mindwipe everybody, and pull this prank next week :D

Roger J Carlson
04-03-2008, 12:10 AM
I think you should delete this post, mindwipe everybody, and pull this prank next week :DYou said this last week. Don't you remember?

Stew21
04-03-2008, 12:11 AM
That pesky mindwipe function is acting up again, eh.

Roger J Carlson
04-03-2008, 12:13 AM
Better tell Dawno...or did I?

bluntforcetrauma
04-03-2008, 12:13 AM
Sorry, bt I tht it ws fnny lololol

Stew21
04-03-2008, 12:15 AM
your disemvowel software is skipping the O's, BFT

:)

Elaine Margarett
04-03-2008, 12:17 AM
IdiotsRUs had categorised who all were involved in the joke, and I was pointing out that one group had been left out. The innocent bystander, who neither engaged in the outrage, nor got the joke immediately.

! :)

I'd fall into this category. Most of the outlandish threads I bypassed once I saw the first line or two with my cursor. One thread, maybe two I clicked on, started to read, didn't like the tone/topic, and didn't return to see it was a joke. So, yeah, I get it now!<g> It's just that I wonder who else saw the posts and quit the thread like me before being let in on the joke. <shrug>

I'm guessing if a newby had come on board and posted outlandish things just to get a rise out of the mods, they'd think it would be funny, right? :-)

Stew21
04-03-2008, 12:19 AM
I'm guessing if a newby had come on board and posted outlandish things just to get a rise out of the mods, they'd think it would be funny, right? :-)

I don't understand your question.

eta: do you mean that if a real newbie/troll came here yesterday would we think it was funny? If that's the question, then truthfully I'd have to say it would have taken a lot for me to notice. with so much chaos it may have been difficult to spot a real trouble maker. If someone would have come on and spammed us or made a real problem and it was noticed, it would have been handled like on any other day, I would assume.

bluntforcetrauma
04-03-2008, 12:21 AM
your disemvowel software is skipping the O's, BFT

:)

Shld I offr u a bdtime stry, wrm milk nd a mvie? l l l l

Stew21
04-03-2008, 12:22 AM
Ovaltine?

Elaine Margarett
04-03-2008, 12:25 AM
I don't understand your question.

Sorry, probably could have phrased that better. My question was, if a newby or even a member, had signed up with an alias and posted on April 1st with bogus posts, you guys would think that's funny, right?

Maybe I'm missing my own point? :-(

Shweta
04-03-2008, 12:25 AM
You said this last week. Don't you remember?

:eek:

Uh... Yeah, now that you mention it. Sorry, forget me own head next.

:gone:

Shld I offr u a bdtime stry, wrm milk nd a mvie? l l l l

Heeey! What about your diet coke/tea and books date with me?:cry:

Stew21
04-03-2008, 12:28 AM
Sorry, probably could have phrased that better. My question was, if a newby or even a member, had signed up with an alias and posted on April 1st with bogus posts, you guys would think that's funny, right?

Maybe I'm missing my own point? :-(

it's ok. I didn't mean to be thick. before you posted this, I added this to my post above:

eta: do you mean that if a real newbie/troll came here yesterday would we think it was funny? If that's the question, then truthfully I'd have to say it would have taken a lot for me to notice. with so much chaos it may have been difficult to spot a real trouble maker. If someone would have come on and spammed us or made a real problem and it was noticed, it would have been handled like on any other day, I would assume.
And with your clarification, I'll add that if a regular member had done those things, at some point I would expect that the member would inform a mod of who they were and we would have let the joke stand - with mutual abuse between the mod and the fake troll, but never toward anyone who wasn't in on it.

Jersey Chick
04-03-2008, 12:28 AM
b shr 2 drnk yr ovltn??

i suck at text speak

Shadow_Ferret
04-03-2008, 12:31 AM
I think you should delete this post, mindwipe everybody, and pull this prank next week :DConsidering my memory, by next year you could. I don't recall what was done at the last couple of April Fools, which is why I get angry. I keep getting caught up in it as if it were the first time. :tongue

Shweta
04-03-2008, 12:36 AM
Considering my memory, by next year you could. I don't recall what was done at the last couple of April Fools, which is why I get angry. I keep getting caught up in it as if it were the first time. :tongue

Oh, I just meant Jenna should do it to Terran :D

Or at least...
That's what I think I meant.

*looks suspiciously at the portable MindWipeomatic*

Elaine Margarett
04-03-2008, 12:37 AM
it's ok. I didn't mean to be thick. before you posted this, I added this to my post above:

And with your clarification, I'll add that if a regular member had done those things, at some point I would expect that the member would inform a mod of who they were and we would have let the joke stand - with mutual abuse between the mod and the fake troll, but never toward anyone who wasn't in on it.

Ahhh, therein lies the rub. <g>

You are discounting all the people who read the posts, not to mention those who respond.

Just a thought~

Stew21
04-03-2008, 12:43 AM
Elaine, I don't know what I could say that would satisfy you here. I'm not discounting anyone. If someone isn't being disrespected (except where both parties are in on it) and it is a day of joking, I don't see the problem. I just gave my opinion there. I certainly don't speak for how the rest of the mods or even Mac would handle someone wanting to do this.
the only people we abused yesterday were ourselves: mods and mod sockpuppets. At least that was the intention. I can apologize again for hurt feelings. We did keep the abuses between us with the help of a couple of extra user id's. We included several people by changing their names and avatars.

icerose
04-03-2008, 12:44 AM
Ahhh, therein lies the rub. <g>

You are discounting all the people who read the posts, not to mention those who respond.

Just a thought~

But those outside the joke didn't recieve any abuse. Mods abused each other and they abused the fake members but not the regulars. They joked around with the regulars who were in on it and being silly that I could see.

The Honeybea thread is a good example. Tri and me and Blue were pretty oblivious to the whole thing and were in fact trying to respond to honeybea as we would normally and we never took any flak for it.

I can't speak for those who simply read, I can hope that no one was deterred, but at the same time you can't live life so worried about these things that you never act or have any fun. Since I never saw any "innocent" people get abused now that I realize it's april fools, I don't see how it would change the image of the board.

Ken
04-03-2008, 12:49 AM
From what I saw of yesterday's switcheroony I really dug it.
It was delighfully way-out and wacky!
I almost wish something like this could be done in meatspace.
The only sad part about it for me was sassandgroove's switch.
I really missed her bunny rabbit avatar.
Has she got it back up again.
I sure hope so : )

sassandgroove
04-03-2008, 01:18 AM

I'm disappointed in some who've been around the AW block for awhile though. By now, I'd hope they'd realize that the mods here work hard at keeping these boards a civil, fun and worthwhile place to hang out. If "we" are acting so out of character, I'd expect a light to go off, followed by knowing smiles and a nod to the date.That's pretty much what I did. I always go to Ray's House of Love Party 1st thing (sometimes 2nd...) and so I always see Ray's first post before I click "read first unread." and it said William Haskins. WUT? Ohhhh, April Fool's Day, I gets it. Then I wasted spent much of the rest of the day in the chaos, wondering who was who and enjoying being more silly than I usually am. ( Sausage Harem, me? Never...until yesterday. :D) It was a lot of fun but I was getting confused after a while. Wait - is that Schwebb? I dunno? Then I got Macalllistered! Yay me. :D

Considering my memory, by next year you could. I don't recall what was done at the last couple of April Fools, which is why I get angry. I keep getting caught up in it as if it were the first time. :tongueYou want I pm you next march 31?

From what I saw of yesterday's switcheroony I really dug it.
It was delighfully way-out and wacky!
I almost wish something like this could be done in meatspace.
The only sad part about it for me was sassandgroove's switch.
I really missed her bunny rabbit avatar.
Has she got it back up again.
I sure hope so : )
Nope- but I'll reveal it again one day. Thanks for the mention. :D

Ken
04-03-2008, 01:23 AM
Nope- but I'll reveal it again one day.

:hooray:

Shwebb
04-03-2008, 01:25 AM
I also would love to say how proud I am of Ice Rose, Triceratops, BlueLucario, and the rest who did respond so seriously and compassionately to HoneyBea.

And Blue, you darling gal, I could just give you the biggest squeeze. You did nothing but show yourself to be a person who would fight to the death to help someone like Honeybea. You offered her friendship and loyalty and you did give her good advice, and you desired to protect her from the stings you knew would surely hurt her.

I know that you may feel like you were taken in, but the true joke is that you have won my heart. I'm proud that you are a part of our AW family.

:Hug2::e2flowers

bluntforcetrauma
04-03-2008, 01:25 AM
b shr 2 drnk yr ovltn??

i suck at text speak

Been hiding out in the can with yer decoder ring again?

Terran
04-03-2008, 02:02 AM
I fer 1 knew exactly wut was goin on.

Rick was the clueless one.

Zelenka
04-03-2008, 02:03 AM
But those outside the joke didn't recieve any abuse. Mods abused each other and they abused the fake members but not the regulars. They joked around with the regulars who were in on it and being silly that I could see.

The Honeybea thread is a good example. Tri and me and Blue were pretty oblivious to the whole thing and were in fact trying to respond to honeybea as we would normally and we never took any flak for it.

I can't speak for those who simply read, I can hope that no one was deterred, but at the same time you can't live life so worried about these things that you never act or have any fun. Since I never saw any "innocent" people get abused now that I realize it's april fools, I don't see how it would change the image of the board.

As someone who simply read, I wasn't deterred or upset or anything like that. I kept up with it all for most of yesterday. First time I saw the troll posts I said it was an April Fool's trick but the clever thing about it was that as more people replied and things went on, I started to wonder. It wasn't until later on when some of the sockpuppets were really OTT that I was sure again. So quite good fun.

I was deterred from posting yesterday but that was because I wasn't sure whether things were serious or not :D Easier just to lurk for a day.

I've not been here all that long though but I figured, from what I've seen of the site so far, that there would be no way the mods would stand for that kind of stuff had it been genuine, which was another reason I was suspicious.

yappo
04-03-2008, 02:19 AM
I came in as the threads had managed to become six or seven posts long. I was a bit alarmed for a few minutes or so, but the bashing was so way, way over the top that the date caught my attention :D

Even managed to squeeze in a stupid pun of my own in one of the threads.

Sten

stormie
04-03-2008, 02:22 AM
The avatars! The avatars! The changing of the avatars! Dead give-away. But I still missed that one thread....

My mind is now out of hiding and I found it. :D

Jersey Chick
04-03-2008, 02:26 AM
Been hiding out in the can with yer decoder ring again?
Yeah and I drank all that Ovaltine to get the decoder ring.

and it turned out to be a crummy commercial

son of a beeyotch...

Rolling Thunder
04-03-2008, 02:30 AM
I still have a few left over JigglyPuffs, if anyone is interested... :)

Gravity
04-03-2008, 02:39 AM
I still have a few left over JigglyPuffs, if anyone is interested... :)

With extra corn syrup, I trust. Fella can't have too much corn syrup...

Jean Marie
04-03-2008, 03:22 AM
I loved it...sheer brilliance :D And, I needed the laughs more than you know.

Thank you, all.

Birol
04-03-2008, 03:37 AM
The first year we did an April Fool's Day prank -- that was the year the mods had a huge public fight over whether sparkly avatars should be allowed or not and ended with most of the mods being banned or flouncing -- I was a bit uneasy about it. However, since then, I've come to realize that the tomfoolery of April Fool's Day is almost necessary around here. It's a release. A catharsis.

With most of the members located in the Northern hemisphere, I think it is appropriate that this day of breaking down the barriers and ignoring social conventions, occurs in April, too. Winter is over. People are antsy, anxious. They need a chance to let go a little bit, before settling back down into the serious business of writing, editing, and helping one another out.

Then it got to the point where I wasn't sure who was who anymore. And then I went and hid.

I so completely lost track. I knew who was a sockpuppet and who wasn't, but that was about it.

Yeah, I fell for it, I thought she was a real person, even scolded one of the mods over referring to that poster in another post. Sorry mod! :flag: I think I'm one of the most gullible people on the planet. I felt sincere pity for the mom of Honeybea who came on to apologize for her daughter's behavior and expressed frustration in the post. I wanted to reach out to her but didn't think I could reach her as it was her "daughter's" account.

That was me you called to task. I loved it. :D

If you want to specify which parts of the day you thought were mean, fine, but you can't generalize like this.

I was being snarky, but I was hoping it was enough out of character that people would "get it." To the best of my knowledge, I was only snarky and mean and rude and belittling to sockpuppets.

If I, as Rob of the Vowels, was rude to anyone else, I apologize.

If I may address the comment I am hearing made in this part of the conversation?

Last year, a few regular members, who had been here long enough to know something was coming, got together and made sockpuppet identities. At least one of those members is now a moderator. None of the members got into trouble.

A story from behind-the-scenes: Preparation for April 1st, started really late on March 31st. I was logged in and logged out. Unknown to me, Mac, who didn't realize I'd logged out, changed my identity as part of the April 1st preparations. A little while later, when I went to log back in -- it would not accept my Birol userid. It kept telling me, "Nope. No. That's not it."

After I timed out, I finally e-mailed Mac and said, "Um... Did you change my id? I don't suppose you could tell me what it is, could you?"

I thought I was going to be unable to access AW until sometime today.

icerose
04-03-2008, 03:56 AM
That was me you called to task. I loved it. :D

I'm glad you didn't take it badly. I look back and I think I stomped on a portion of the fun as I didn't realize it was all in good fun. :o

ChunkyMacbirol
04-03-2008, 04:04 AM
If I may address the comment I am hearing made in this part of the conversation?

Last year, a few regular members, who had been here long enough to know something was coming, got together and made sockpuppet identities. At least one of those members is now a moderator. None of the members got into trouble.

Lies! All lies! We're real!

*flounces off in three seperate directions*

Soccer Mom
04-03-2008, 04:15 AM
Oh noes! Revenge of the sock puppets!

Terran
04-03-2008, 04:16 AM
I'm glad you didn't take it badly. I look back and I think I stomped on a portion of the fun as I didn't realize it was all in good fun. :o

I personally was expecting a huge blow-up from it...based on prior posts from a Mod I had never seen before.

As I have only been here a short time I didn't know if it was a 'fake' Mod or just someone who wasn't very active.

All in all quite entertaining.

ChaosTitan
04-03-2008, 04:40 AM

s'okay, found mine under the couch just after midnight.

I still haven't found mine. I think one of my kids* stole it and didn't put it back. :D

I would like to nominate my fellow prankster for an Academy Award. She was brilliant playing the part of a nutcase who was a dragon in a previous life. And I'm a bit afraid I gave the real Shwebb a bit of a new reputation). :tongue

Because I want to know. Dammit. That was just plain foul. If I hadn't been running around putting out fires that D.R. Agony was starting and cleaning up after Chaos-as-me messes, I'd have . . .

:e2seesaw:

*I don't actually have kids that I keep in cages. Neither does the real Shwebb. I do have two cats, but I don't keep them in cages, either.

tjwriter
04-03-2008, 05:01 AM
I thought it was pretty clear that yesterday was fool of nonsense. It was boldly mentioned in OP with a question as to what antics would be played. Then there were several posts in OP that specifically had April Fools in the title.

Plus, with a little investigative efforts, you could identify the true identity of some out-of-character mods. I thought it was most excellent.

All in all, I think it was a good day.

cherubsmummy
04-03-2008, 05:26 AM
This lurker was vastly amused by yesterday's hijinks.

poetinahat
04-03-2008, 05:30 AM
I'm still getting blowback from last year's "AW for Writers Only" thread -- even though it's full of obvious April Fool comments and hijinks.

Guess you can't please everyone.

Oh, and 733t sux. Almost as much as LOLcatz.

Shweta
04-03-2008, 05:35 AM
After I timed out, I finally e-mailed Mac and said, "Um... Did you change my id? I don't suppose you could tell me what it is, could you?"

I thought I was going to be unable to access AW until sometime today.

So this happened, and Birol mentioned it behind the scenes, and I fell over laughing at her.
Then I posted something as D.R.Agony and got logged out as Shweta. Right when Mac turned me into Temlyn.

And the same thing happened to me!

The moral of the story is, don't laugh at Bristol :ROFL:

Rolling Thunder
04-03-2008, 05:49 AM
Many people here on AW enjoy the calamity known as April Fool's Day and some don't.

Fair enough. This is only my second AFD here...and I've enjoyed them both: as a regular member and a Mod.

But let's all keep this in mind; enjoy frivolous days like yesterday while we can. AW might not always be here.

No joke there, people.

There are those who would like nothing better than to see AW gone. It happened once before, as some of you well know. This is a great place for the meeting of minds interested in writing. There will always be disagreements at times but just keep in mind that, in the end, we are a community; maybe not of the flesh in a sense, but in the spirit of what makes each and every member here a writer; young or old; published or unpublished; pro or novice. The people who care about this place, like you and me, keep it alive, and every now and then a little foolishness should be cherished.

If you don't enjoy AF'sD in the way it has become a tradition here then, by all means, lurk or take a day off. Come back on the 2nd when all is right with the world again. Hopefully we'll still be here.

But, one day, it just might not be.

Zelenka
04-03-2008, 06:11 AM
I would like to nominate my fellow prankster for an Academy Award. She was brilliant playing the part of a nutcase who was a dragon in a previous life. And I'm a bit afraid I gave the real Shwebb a bit of a new reputation). :tongue

Have to say the bit about being a dragon in a previous life was what did it for me. That was hilarious! I'm almost sad D R Agony is gone :D

Shweta
04-03-2008, 06:14 AM
Have to say the bit about being a dragon in a previous life was what did it for me. That was hilarious! I'm almost sad D R Agony is gone :D

Your so nice, Jess lololol not like, those Mods, they are mean :cry:

*ahem*
I mean, well, shucks, I'm afraid she's gone for good. I am a serious person individual who uses utilizes bigoversized wordslexical items, after all.

TPCSWR
04-03-2008, 06:22 AM
As another lurker, I thought they were April fools pranks done by real teens that happened to come across this site. I didn't want to say anything just in case they were serious. The mods outraged me at the time, though now I sit back and laugh at my ignorance.

Oh, and honeybea's mother was a stroke of genius.

Zelenka
04-03-2008, 06:26 AM
Your so nice, Jess lololol not like, those Mods, they are mean :cry:

*ahem*
I mean, well, shucks, I'm afraid she's gone for good. I am a serious person individual who uses utilizes bigoversized wordslexical items, after all.

The no-vowel speak though made my brain hurt. It was very funny, and for a moment I actually did wonder if it was possible to disable the use of punctuation marks.

I missed Honeybea's mother though, that was after I went to bed :(

Stew21
04-03-2008, 06:29 AM
Did you find it odd that the moderator with the most vowels was the one stealing vowels from everyone else's posts? Birol (aka robeaieioeio) swiped sockpuppet and mod vowels all afternoon.

and the real robeiae is in egypt; he's not even here to defend his swiped name.

Shweta
04-03-2008, 06:30 AM
And she was selling them for profit.

Clearly this means drinks are on Lori :D

Soccer Mom
04-03-2008, 06:30 AM
Knowing Rob was gone made it all the more delicious.

Jenifer
04-03-2008, 06:33 AM
Many people here on AW enjoy the calamity known as April Fool's Day and some don't.

Fair enough. This is only my second AFD here...and I've enjoyed them both: as a regular member and a Mod.

But let's all keep this in mind; enjoy frivolous days like yesterday while we can. AW might not always be here.

No joke there, people.

There are those who would like nothing better than to see AW gone. It happened once before, as some of you well know. This is a great place for the meeting of minds interested in writing. There will always be disagreements at times but just keep in mind that, in the end, we are a community; maybe not of the flesh in a sense, but in the spirit of what makes each and every member here a writer; young or old; published or unpublished; pro or novice. The people who care about this place, like you and me, keep it alive, and every now and then a little foolishness should be cherished.

If you don't enjoy AF'sD in the way it has become a tradition here then, by all means, lurk or take a day off. Come back on the 2nd when all is right with the world again. Hopefully we'll still be here.

But, one day, it just might not be.

But I just discovered it. :cry:

ChaosTitan
04-03-2008, 06:41 AM
The for a moment I actually did wonder if it was possible to disable the use of punctuation marks.

Actually, so did I. And I was in on it!

Just don't tell anyone.

Sonneillon
04-03-2008, 07:24 AM
You know, Sonneillon, you made me realize something.

I was picked on and subjected to mean-spirited teasing for most of my childhood. I think that's part of why I'm getting this upset that people thought I would mock them or humiliate them, or that anyone would here in AW. This is one of the first communities I've found that doesn't do that sort of thing. So it's one of the first places where I've felt I could let loose and play around, without nasty assumptions all over the place, and that feeling of safety is really quite important to me. I hate to have it shaken by misreadings of my intent.

But I can see why, when that feeling of safety is important to people, they hate to have it shaken too.

Internet relationships are hard because you never know when a bit of drama is going to occur and blow everything you've established to bits and pieces. It happened to me and a girl I was best friends with for four years. We now speak to each other perhaps once every four months, for business-like reasons, with exaggerated courtesy, when at one point she had the romantic other-half of nearly all my characters.

It happens, and it hurts just as much as losing real friendships, and you never know WHEN it's going to happen, which is the tough part. I can see why some people believed the boards were imploding - even though most people at AW would never really behave like that, they've probably been part of other message boards where they felt safe, only to be shaken up by a communications catastrophe.

I've always tried to hold the viewpoint that intent matters. If someone makes a fool of me, but didn't mean to, and is sensitive to my humiliation, I can forgive that. Heck, I've forgiven some pretty painful injuries in the past because it was a slip-up sparring and I know they didn't mean to do it. I just wanted to say that the people who are offended and angry should take that into account - nobody actually got hurt, and no one was setting out to offend. There's no need to look for insult when there's none meant.

/2 cents

Birol
04-03-2008, 08:31 AM
Oh noes! Revenge of the sock puppets!

It's okay. I'm accustomed to arguing with imaginary people. I often lose.

I don't know if you saw it or not, but at one point, I posted a laughing emoticon with "Touche." Then I decided I was breaking character and went back and deleted with "Whatever" as the reason. I didn't know if you knew it was me or not, but I was very impressed, touched at how you cared for the board, and amused that you thought I was for real.

And she was selling them for profit.

Clearly this means drinks are on Lori :D

Ha! That money's earmarked for university fees.

It happens, and it hurts just as much as losing real friendships, and you never know WHEN it's going to happen, which is the tough part.

Thing is, I do consider online friendships to be real friendships. I'm as close to some of the people I've met here as I am to people I interact with in the flesh.

Shweta
04-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Ha! That monkey's earmarked for university fees.

Does it do tricks, or is this more in the way of blood rites?

(I don't know, that's how I read it)

Birol
04-03-2008, 08:47 AM
You had me going back and seeing if I'd made that typo or not! Shame on you. Shame. :roll:

I wonder if the monkey knows how to do laundry, run errands, or type?

Jo
04-03-2008, 08:51 AM
April Fool's was a good exercise in characterization. Yes?

JennaGlatzer
04-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Jo, yes! It even gave me an idea for a new board-wide exercise. I'm wondering (consider this the foreshadowing of my actual game, to be implemented within the week) if we can create a character together, and anyone who wants to can become that character at any point. We'd get to know this character and his history, quirks, vital stats, personality, etc. as people post, and we'd have to stay consistent.

JJ Cooper
04-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Let"s not forget it wasn't just the mods running riot. And I'm surprised at some of the responses here. Seems like some just don't know how to let their hair down and have a bit of fun.

I posted fairly early in some of the threads, especially D.R Agony ones. My comments were light-hearted and I had some fun straight off the bat. A few times when I noticed a serious response to a joke thread, I either sent a PM or Rep point to the poster to let them know it was a joke thread.

I don't see the big deal. If you don't like April Fools put it in diary not to visit the site next year IMO.

Thanks to everyone for the craziness - I had a blast. Just the break I needed from my WIP.

JJ

aruna
04-03-2008, 12:09 PM
This was my third Aprils Fool's Day. I was looking forward to it for weeks in advance. It gets better every year. That's all I have to say.

If you don't like it just stay away for that day. What's the big deal?

Jean Marie
04-03-2008, 06:31 PM
Lies! All lies! We're real!

*flounces off in three seperate directions*
If you want to do it correctly, go in 4 directions: N S E W

:e2tongue:

I can't wait until next year :D

Shadow_Ferret
04-03-2008, 06:46 PM
However, since then, I've come to realize that the tomfoolery of April Fool's Day is almost necessary around here. It's a release. A catharsis.
Guess I didn't realize this place was so stressful the rest of the year that we needed a chathartic release.

Maybe I"m the odd one who views this as my island paradise away from all life's stresses and problems. So then when this place goes crazy (or crazier than normal), that gives me stress.

AnneMarble
04-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Nobody who's read your book can doubt your sense of humor, Toothpaste :)

I'm sorry my sockpuppet made you feel embarrassed. I didn't think your early, sincere posts were silly at all - but if they'd continued I'd have PMed you just so you wouldn't be wasting time.
I liked a lot of the posts in the dragon thread that I posted to. They were really informative. There was some great discussion (about dragons, titles, etc.) going on amidst all the tomfoolery. That's the way of the Internet. Serious threads become jokes, and joke threads lead to people discussing dragon philosophy.
And a little punctuation...:roll:

icerose
04-03-2008, 07:16 PM
I don't know if you saw it or not, but at one point, I posted a laughing emoticon with "Touche." Then I decided I was breaking character and went back and deleted with "Whatever" as the reason. I didn't know if you knew it was me or not, but I was very impressed, touched at how you cared for the board, and amused that you thought I was for real.

I'd missed it, and have been wondering what you had said. I also had no idea it was you until you said it was you. When I posted it, I didn't even realize Honeybea was a joke.

I was definitely confused that a mod would do that, my head was spinning, it wasn't until Blue posted this thread and it came out that it was all a joke that I even "Got it".

JJ Cooper
04-03-2008, 07:16 PM
Guess I didn't realize this place was so stressful the rest of the year that we needed a chathartic release.

Maybe I"m the odd one who views this as my island paradise away from all life's stresses and problems. So then when this place goes crazy (or crazier than normal), that gives me stress.

So, perhaps because a few don't agree with it then it should stop?

I'm sorry, but I can't comprehend how a bit of fun, that I found to be an obvious joke, could cause others anguish. We're all writers who should have the ability to interpret the meaning of the written word. Even if you had been 'had', why can't you turn around and say 'good one you got me'. I think it's more 'sour grapes' because you did get fooled, but don't want to admit it.

I think that's what it boils down to. Some people here are used to being the anonymous poster with some sort of reputation. As soon as they get 'fooled' they need to come back and justify why it was a wrong thing to do instead of saying 'yeah, you got me'.

Although I quoted you Shadow Ferret, I'm aiming at all of those who got their noses out of joint - a shitload more people got a great, stress-free break from their writing and other stresses in their lives by posting and/or viewing the April Fools threads.

JJ

Jenifer
04-03-2008, 07:34 PM
Guys, as much as I love this place and as much time as I spend online... it's still just the internet. If it stresses you out, turn it off! Go for a walk! Just watch out for those banana peels.

Toothpaste
04-03-2008, 07:34 PM
And I'm back. But only because JJ directed the last post to those of us who "got our noses out of joint".

JJ, I say deal with it - a few people got upset. Don't pretend their feelings don't count or that it didn't happen. The people who were fooled and didn't enjoy being fooled are dealing with it. It's not like they left the board, or sent PM's to Mac or railed and railed. They only in fact answered to a thread started by someone else. People are allowed to feel differently without constantly being told their feelings are irrelevant, or sour grapes.

And again I would like to reiterate, that despite the fact that I felt bad for all of, I dunno an hour, that isn't the reason I am responding to this thread. I get it. It was a joke. I am so over it. People have been so sweet, and I have admitted that despite my not having fun with it, it should no way mean no one else is allowed to. I don't begrudge anyone what they did on April Fools, nor would I wish them to not engage in it next year.

I am simply responding to a few posters who are being very dismissive of other people's feelings. JJ, you might not like that some people don't like being pranked, you might think they should just get over it, but the fact is there are people out there who don't. And I think it would be a lot more pleasant if you acknowledged that that doesn't make them bad people, just different from you.

sassandgroove
04-03-2008, 07:43 PM
I wonder if the monkey knows how to do laundry, run errands, or type?
IF so can I have one?

Cranky
04-03-2008, 07:46 PM
I was being snarky, but I was hoping it was enough out of character that people would "get it." To the best of my knowledge, I was only snarky and mean and rude and belittling to sockpuppets.

If I, as Rob of the Vowels, was rude to anyone else, I apologize.

You'd better apologize, Birol! You hurted my feelings when you spurned the offer to join my harem with an Ewwww.

I cried and cried and cried.

Toothpaste
04-03-2008, 07:52 PM
I'm sad I missed out on the harem thread. I've been looking for a good harem to join for a while now . . . sigh

Cranky
04-03-2008, 07:54 PM
I'm sad I missed out on the harem thread. I've been looking for a good harem to join for a while now . . . sigh

Better luck next year. :D I think it'll be a leprechaun's harem next year, though.

sassandgroove
04-03-2008, 07:55 PM
that's um...wrong.

Cranky
04-03-2008, 07:56 PM
that's um...wrong.

That's what makes it soooo right for April Fool's! :D

III
04-03-2008, 08:00 PM
This thread is still going? *sigh*

Cranky
04-03-2008, 08:00 PM
This thread is still going? *sigh*

Rehab didn't take? :D

BenPanced
04-03-2008, 08:13 PM
spriiinkl, sprinkel, liddl barrr!
whud i wunndr izza kat!

Ken
04-03-2008, 08:16 PM
I think everybody should be ultra-serious for the next few days :-[
to underscore how important jocularity is in maintaining ones spirits :-)
and sanity :-o

Shadow_Ferret
04-03-2008, 08:28 PM
So, perhaps because a few don't agree with it then it should stop?

I don't believe I ever said it should stop. I aired my displeasure is all. I would never demand, or even ask, that the hijinx stop. I merely gave my point of view of things. Which, last time I checked, we are allowed to do as long as we "respect the other poster." Which I also believe I did, although I think shweta took offense to my comment that everyone should outgrow the silliness. :)

Not sure who the anonymous poster is you're refering to though.