PDA

View Full Version : Format Question

Lavinia
04-02-2008, 02:15 AM
I am getting a package ready to send to an agent and have a question that it seems is so menial that I can't find it. Could someone point me in the right direction. When looking at the pages of a manuscript, where is the proper place to put the page number and does the book title and author name need to appear on each page? If so, where? My Google, and even my AW search, only confuses me more. What is the industry standard?

Also, if an agent asks for other things than just the manuscript, such as a synopsis...do I number those pages too?

Thank you in advance for your help!

I want my manuscript to stand out...just not for all the WRONG reasons. ~Karen

Medievalist
04-02-2008, 02:29 AM
The synopsis shouldn't be long enough to need numbers, but if it is, it's a separate document. You do want to clearly label it -- My Novel Title: Synopsis, or the like, and you DO want your name on the page.

For MS. format, here's a good discussion (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26126).

Lavinia
04-02-2008, 06:56 AM
Thank you Midievalist! I looked at the link you provided. Lots of good information there but it didn't answer my main question which is where do I put the page number. The info on the link says to put it at the top or bottom of the page. I knew that much. What I'm getting at is do I put, Title/My Name/Page Number at the right hand corner of each page?

I do know that they want your name on each page and they want the page number. I need to know exactly what format. Everywhere I look, it says something different. I think I'll go look at a few agent sites that are pretty good...I hadn't thought of that until just now.

Thanks, Karen

gettingby
04-02-2008, 11:21 AM
I don't think it matters how you do it. Don't over think it.

Molfitz
04-05-2008, 02:11 AM
I think it matters. The agent may have a preference. Check the agents web site or listing in the Writer's Market. I've read slight variations. There is a good format guide at this link:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26126

Although she says page numbers aren't alway necessary, I've read elsewhere that they are.

Here's what I say:

The pages numbers are placed at the upper right hand corner. Some agents/publishers want the number of words on the first page upper right hand corner.

You do not number the first page, Title page. Begin numbering on the second page.
Do not put the page number on the first page of each chapter. Begin again on the second page of the chapter. Look at most books, the chapter page is not numbered.
The header should include the chapter number, with your name, and book title.

Example;

The Lost Souls
U.R. Writer
Chapter 2

If you are using MS Word, the program will allow you to insert Page 2 of 800, and keep track of your pages.

gettingby
04-05-2008, 03:17 AM
I still don't think it matters too much. I have never heard an agent demand al page numbers must be in the top left corner or something like that. If the agent has requested your proposal, he wants to read it page numbers or not. I suggest picking a format you like that looks clean, neat and well organized, but I don't think this is something you can really do the wrong way.
***Now take out your blue crayon, number those pages and send it off!!!

Medievalist
04-05-2008, 05:03 AM
Thank you Midievalist! I looked at the link you provided. Lots of good information there but it didn't answer my main question which is where do I put the page number. The info on the link says to put it at the top or bottom of the page. I knew that much. What I'm getting at is do I put, Title/My Name/Page Number at the right hand corner of each page?

Unless the agent/editor/publisher requests something specific, it doesn't matter.

What matters is that you do it the same on all the pages. So Title, Name, Page number at bottom right or top right, is fine.

Me, I favor bottom, but it's not gonna matter as long as it's the same.