Not open for further replies.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Hi guys,

I have been caring for my mom for two years now and the past two months she has really gone down hill.

I have been screaming to my brothers for these two years that she needs to go into assisted living, and only NOW are they starting to take me seriously. But as of this week, I'm starting to think it's too late.

Twenty years ago, I responded to a family request to temporarilly move out of my family's house and go to stay with another relative to help them with the growing burden of caring for my grandmother (my mom's mom). I did so for the two months prior to that grandmpther's eventual death. The upshot of that ordeal was that by moving in with that other relative, I wound up getting saved.

Meanwhile, all these years later, I am right now seeing some of the same signs in my mother as what I saw in Gramma right before she passed away. The past two weeks has been a severe decline in so many of her abilities and even desires to function. Even her willinglness to bathe and eat has practically shut down. She's lost so much weight from not eating. And if she doesn't eat, she doesn't take her pills. I make food for her, and an hour later I go back to check on her, and MAYBE she took one bite, and the pills did not get taken at all. For the past week I have been constantly in the bathroom, wordlessly cleaning up attrocious messes she has been leaving behind all over the toilet and the floor. She hasn't been doing her nails, so yesterday I spent an hour clipping them and filing them so she she could use her hands again.

I'm getting up the nerve right now to call my brother in Ohio and tell him that in my opinion she will not make it to see the month of May. But I kinda doubt he's going to believe me. (My aunt said that in her estimation, since I'm the baby of the family none of my other siblings are ever inclined to believe me about anything. Sibling hierarchy sucks!)

What's killing me the most is seeing my mother just shut down and give up on everything.

She has a CAT scan scheduled for this Friday, and so I have to go and get the prep medicine right now. But I'm afraid she won't want to take any of it.

As for her salvation ... I don't know. My aunt is convinced my mother is not saved, so she has been calling others in her church to pray for my mom. But I'm a little more liberal in my view of how wide the grace of God can extend.

As for me, I have not been this stressed in years. And today I am barely functioning myself as I realize how rapid the deterioration has been even since this past Saturday.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hugs (((Plot)))). so sorry...

Last edited:

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
prayers and hugs to you and your mom, and guidence for your siblings.

ETA; I think Jenna is Foinah today, I think this is really Plot Device. God will know who needs prayer anywho.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
<coming out of April Fool's mode for this one>

I'm praying for you, PD (but I'm using your real name in the prayer), and for your mother and brothers. I know this has been a very tough time for you with the house and your mom, etc. We're here for you and we care about you.

<goes back into AF mode to make trouble>

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
Update.

Doctor called back again today and said: "Go to the ER right now."

I said: "In my layman's TV-educated, half-assed understanding of medicine, I'm terrified at this point that she has cancer."

Doctor said: "That possibility is at the top of my concerns right now also."

So, after my brother fro Ohio calls back (any minute now) we're off to the ER.

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
Adding my prayers to the list.

We just put my grandmother into assisted living, she's 91 and healthier than anyone in the family except for the dementia. So she can't live alone. It's a tough decision.

Also sending warm fuzzy thoughts.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'll be praying for you and your mom, PD.

Jenny

Who should be writing ...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Prayers for your mom, you and your family. Take care of yourself (and don't drink too much bad hospital coffee;))

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My aunt is convinced ...

and thankfully - it's not up to her. She may be right but there is an equal chance she is mistaken.

Take heart. God knows a person's :heart:heart:heart: and it's not up to us; (good thing, too, if ya ask me...)

PM me if you'd like to talk.

Prayers said on mom's behalf - and yours as well. ((hugs))

windyrdg

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
capearagopress.com
Praying for you. I know how hard it can be to lose a parent. Put your mom in God's hands...that's where she's always been anyway. If you've never had any contact with them, it may still not be too late to bring in Hospice. They'll care for your mom, but they will also care for the caregiver.

I pushed and pushed to get my late brother-in-law to call them. (He'd been fighting cancer for a long time.) The Hospice doctor looked at his tests and charts and told his wife that he probably had a week. He died six days later. She's since told me how difficult it would have been not to have those last few days to say everything that needed to be said. I've been a volunteer with them for three years and never met a more caring group of people.

As we approach death we naturally sever ties with this world in preparation to crossing over. Don't let this behavior bother you. It's natural and expected. You've gone above and beyond.

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
You certainly have my prayers, not just for your mother but for yourself. I cared for my late husband, a victim of MS. After my daughter's death, the MS won the battle that had been raging for almost thrity years. He lost the will to go on and finally went to sleep. I know what YOU'RE going through, and so I extend your wish for prayers to you and those who you love, mother and brothers included. If she must rest now, let it be peacefully.

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi PD

Am praying for you and your family. I have lost both parents when i was young and before i was saved. My dad died of cancer so i understand somewhat of what you are going through.

Kev

AOC

Registered
Reaction score
Lots of prayers and hugs to you and your mom. I hope she gets better.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
PD, my mom's 89, in hospice care, with various health problems though her mind is still active. Often she says she wants to go and I'm making an uneasy peace with her wishes. Our bodies are not meant to last forever, but the love that we have shared does. Let your mom's last time be in comfort and painless. My thoughts are with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.