Posters teenage bedroom

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
I have a 14-year-old girl who in the last year has added some male crush type posters to her bedroom wall. She's somewhat emotionally immature, but intelligent. Whose posters would she be putting up on her wall?

By the way, my daughter is married, in her twenties, a petty officer in the Navy, and absolutely no help. Maybe I need to trade her in for some one who could help me more.

Thanks a lot,

Jim Clark-Dawe

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Might depend on what type of music she's into for one thing. Another option is what movies she likes. I would need a better insight into her personality, other than slightly immature on an emotional level.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, because you always help me so much in Query Hell.

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
My daughter is 15 and the posters are a mix of bands and sports which cover the walls completely.
As sissybaby said, it depends on what music she is into.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
What I'm thinking are those boy bands that you're embarrassed to admit that you ever listened to them by the time you're 18. She's not big into movies, probably, and definitely would only be seeing PG-13. Probably would be still watching HANNAH MONTANA on TV.

She has lots of emotional damage, afraid of any stress and conflict, knows how to be polite, but can only interact with grownups when the grownup makes the effort to bring her out. Beyond her BFF, her only interaction with other kids up until a year ago has been very limited, and even now hanging with a bunch of other teens is not something she's comfortable doing.

She's a follower, not a leader. She needs security in her entire life. Her grandfather (who she lives with) needs to go with her to her bedroom every night to make sure there are no monsters in the room and a light is kept on all night. Definitely would not watch horror movies.

Does this help, or do you need more?

Thanks,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
Again, kind of music she likes would decide which boy band posters she would hang on her wall. Good Charlotte, Simple Plan, Green Day, Fall Out Boy, Back Street Boys, Three Days Grace.. all vary, all different.. then of course there is Hillary Duff, Mary Kate & Ashley Olson, Hannah Montana, Avril Lavigne, Ashley Simpson, Aly & AJ.. these are only a few of what I see when I dare venture into my teen queen's room

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
To be honest, these things change so quickly that I wouldn't put a specific name in--by the time your book comes out, that person will be long forgotten. Can you instead describe the category the postered idol falls into, either from the girl's perspective ("the shiny posters of the dreamy singer whose dark eyes promised infinite love") or from an adult observer's perspective ("the shiny posters of a kid whose faux-Byronic posturing and barely adequate singing had made him a multimillionaire by the time he was 17")?

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
What I'm thinking are those boy bands that you're embarrassed to admit that you ever listened to them by the time you're 18. She's not big into movies, probably, and definitely would only be seeing PG-13. Probably would be still watching HANNAH MONTANA on TV.

She has lots of emotional damage, afraid of any stress and conflict, knows how to be polite, but can only interact with grownups when the grownup makes the effort to bring her out. Beyond her BFF, her only interaction with other kids up until a year ago has been very limited, and even now hanging with a bunch of other teens is not something she's comfortable doing.

She's a follower, not a leader. She needs security in her entire life. Her grandfather (who she lives with) needs to go with her to her bedroom every night to make sure there are no monsters in the room and a light is kept on all night. Definitely would not watch horror movies.

Does this help, or do you need more?

Thanks,

Jim Clark-Dawe

If the character still watches Hannah Montana, then she would probably also be watching "High School Musical" and Zac Efron is the heartthrob from that movie series. He's who my daughter has pinned up on her wall!

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Zac Efron is a good choice. Also Justin Timberlake, although based on your description she's probably too immature for his newer music and relying on his pop career. Shia LaBoeuf, a Disney-vet-turned-serious-actor, and the Jonas Brothers. Also the Harry Potter cast.

If she's dependent on adults for friendships, why not some less youthful choices? Like a young George Reeves, if she used to watch Gone with the Wind with her grandfather, or Gene Kelley from Singing in the Rain ..

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Why not make up the name of a boy band or actor or singer?

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Zac Efron is the winner. Looked at him and he's the perfect image. And when I add in the two dogs and a cat, it's the perfect match.

Coming up with a name actually helps date the book. The book involves upside down mortgages, bad loans, recession, and other things that are going on in business today. The grandfather has some real estate that is losing value and can't be sold.

The grandfather (who is the narrator) is a businessman, and wouldn't
have a vague description here. He pays attention to every detail of his granddaughter's life.

I appreciate not having to wander down to Wal-Mart to look at all the posters to figure out who to use.

Thanks for all the help,

Jim Clark-Dawe