PDA

View Full Version : Just discovered rep comments

knufflebunny
04-01-2008, 10:58 AM
<blink>

WHOA!

Sorry if anyone was offended I didn't respond to their comments. Had no idea this thing existed.
:e2flowers

Manderley
04-01-2008, 11:50 AM
You're not alone. I've been here a year longer than you, and only discovered them last month. :tongue

Appalachian Writer
04-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Like Manderley, it was months before I found reps.. Now, I'm addicted.

HeronW
04-01-2008, 02:37 PM
reps are fun and a great way to keep in touch, tease mercilessly, etc :}

laffarsmith
04-01-2008, 06:12 PM
Wow! I knew about rep points but I'd forgotten all about them. I'm so dependent on my email notifications that I never thought to check for rep point comments. *blushes* Turns out people have been practically having conversations with my via my reps. I'M SO SORRY! I honestly didn't mean to dis you all.

Thank you for bring up this topic Knuffle. Hopefully we can both watch and interact with the more in future. :-)

For what it's worth, PMs or emails always get my attention better. (I'm a ditzy blonde, sometimes you have to be obvious.) Perhaps rep points need email notifications as well?

cookiehead
04-01-2008, 06:15 PM
Me too... I just found them, and felt quite loved! I started giving them as well...

JTM
04-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Ummmmm, what's a rep comment?:Huh:

auntybug
04-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Go to your user CP (top left) - thats how you'll see your reps.

You can leave comments for people by clicking the "scale looking thingy" (that's it's official name) under their avatar.

novelette
04-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Now I feel bad because I have a couple, but had no idea! Sorry!

truelyana
04-02-2008, 05:18 PM
Yes, they are. Reps rule. :D It's the people behind those reps that make all the difference :D Your not late on that. I was the same, when I first registered. In fact I think it took me just under a year, to find out how they worked. I then became an addict, and now I'm reasonably cellibate, but with a bit of notch sometimes. You can't have it off, much better than that.

*Sorry for my explicit rep material*

K. Marshall
04-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Wow! I never knew those were there. I have stuff in the from December. lol Learn something new every day.

HeronW
04-02-2008, 06:08 PM
Yes, they are. Reps rule. :D It's the people behind those reps that make all the difference :D Your not late on that. I was the same, when I first registered. In fact I think it took me just under a year, to find out how they worked. I then became an addict, and now I'm reasonably cellibate, but with a bit of notch sometimes. You can't have it off, much better than that.

*Sorry for my explicit rep material*

No you're not.... :}

KML518
04-03-2008, 01:39 AM
Hmm, what are reps? I went to my CP and couldn't find it. Does that mean I don't have any, whatever they are?

knufflebunny
04-03-2008, 01:55 AM
Check again! ;-)

gettingby
04-04-2008, 12:25 AM
I am confused. I an pretty new. I am not even sure where to look for what you guys are talking about. And what do they do? Sorry if I am sounding very stupid. Don't hate the new kid.

blueobsidian
04-04-2008, 01:26 AM
I am confused. I an pretty new. I am not even sure where to look for what you guys are talking about. And what do they do? Sorry if I am sounding very stupid. Don't hate the new kid.

Don't worry! We've all been new!

Rep points (or reputation points) are a way of giving members feedback on their posts. Under their username and avatar is a small image of a scale. If you click on it, you can give a positive or negative rep point and leave a comment. They don't really do anything, except make other members feel great when they see all the nice comments! There is a spot just under the "o" in the word posts under a username where you can hover your mouse and find out a person's rep level.

You can find them by clicking on "User CP" on the blue nav bar near the top of the page. There is a section called "Latest Reputation Recieved" that keeps a list.

And welcome!

ritinrider
04-04-2008, 01:36 AM
Do many people respond to rep comments? I've always just seen them as something like a quick "thumbs up." I've never thought someone sending a "comment" would expect a reply. I don't.

I should also add that I very rarely receive replies to reps I give.

If there's something I want to share with a particular forum member, or if it's about subject I feel wouldn't work well as a thread topic, I'll send a PM. I always respond to PM's.

Same here. Sometimes I try to find them to return the niceness, and give the reper, a rep. But, I seldom respond. Also, I tend to not check it some times. I hope I'm not being rude by not responding. but I don't think so since like you I seldom get replies from the rep I've given. Which is probably a good thing, I'm liable to forget what I said in a rep, or why I gave it by the time someone replies.

gettingby
04-04-2008, 01:36 AM
Thanks. I just sent you one and I think it worked. When I click on my scale it says I have a few, but I can't figure out how to read them. Thanks again for your help.

bluntforcetrauma
04-04-2008, 01:39 AM
<blink>

WHOA!

Sorry if anyone was offended I didn't respond to their comments. Had no idea this thing existed.
:e2flowers

Bunny, I don't know if you've had the whole rep thing explained or not. In order to be moved to the upper eschelon, you must...I repeat MUST find every post I've made and rep each one positively with as much shameless praise and gushing as you can manage. Anything less will condemn you to a life of misery and sorrow.

Have a nice day. Thank you, drive through.

Angie
04-04-2008, 01:53 AM
Bunny, I don't know if you've had the whole rep thing explained or not. In order to be moved to the upper eschelon, you must...I repeat MUST find every post I've made and rep each one positively with as much shameless praise and gushing as you can manage. Anything less will condemn you to a life of misery and sorrow.

Have a nice day. Thank you, drive through.

Pfft. I did that, and I got nothing. Diddly. Bupkis.

What? You didn't get them?

:eek:

Um...they're in the mail...?

:gone:

bluntforcetrauma
04-04-2008, 01:55 AM
Pfft. I did that, and I got nothing. Diddly. Bupkis.

What? You didn't get them?

:eek:

Um...they're in the mail...?

:gone:

Angie (BFT drums fingers impatiently on a recent corpse), don't make me push the delete button and make you vanish into thin air.

Angie
04-05-2008, 09:09 PM
Angie (BFT drums fingers impatiently on a recent corpse), don't make me push the delete button and make you vanish into thin air.

No! Please! Don't do it. I'll spend the next thirty seconds all weekend finding your posts and sending you reps. I promise.

*hides crossed fingers behind back*

JenNipps
04-05-2008, 10:31 PM
If those of you looking for your rep points still haven't found them, click on the "User CP" link in the blue bar just under the room/thread name. When the new page opens, scroll down past your subscribed discussions list. Your rep points list is under that.

Hope that helps you out a bit. :)

wombat
04-07-2008, 02:04 AM
Was just spending enough time avoiding work to get around to reading this thread and looking at my rep points. Eek! There needs to be a 'thanks' button on them or something. But since there isn't, thanks, you know who you are.

I had no idea they were so fancy. The only other board I frequent that has something similar, they're anonymous and they don't have a way to add nice personal notes to them.

gettingby
04-07-2008, 10:27 PM
What is with the negative rep points? It seems really childish for people to give these. Many people have liked my advice and given me some good reps (even though I am new, trying to help where I can) and then there are some people that just don't like me or what I am saying so they give me bad ones out of spite. It feels that way. The funny thing is so many people say this is supposed to be a place where everyone is nice and accepting. I wish I had not learned about these. Nobody likes hate mail.

MelodyO
04-07-2008, 10:42 PM
Aw, I think you were just caught in the April Fool's day madness. We really are nice for the most part. Really!

::wonders with some embarrassment if this is still part of the madness::

What is with the negative rep points? It seems really childish for people to give these. Many people have liked my advice and given me some good reps (even though I am new, trying to help where I can) and then there are some people that just don't like me or what I am saying so they give me bad ones out of spite. It feels that way. The funny thing is so many people say this is supposed to be a place where everyone is nice and accepting. I wish I had not learned about these. Nobody likes hate mail.

gettingby
04-07-2008, 10:46 PM
No, this is not a joke. I am not a joke.

MelodyO
04-07-2008, 11:03 PM
No, this is not a joke. I am not a joke.

Yikes, this is why I didn't even come around the forum on April 1st. Too easy for misunderstandings to occur. Anyway, I hope AW is a better experience for you from here on in.

stormie
04-07-2008, 11:06 PM
Rep comments? What's that? :D
It took me awhile to realize that I had them. And then when I repped, I didn't realize it's nice to comment why you're repping or even just give one of these: :roll:

ETA: Oops...I'm responding to the OP.

blueobsidian
04-08-2008, 02:59 AM
then there are some people that just don't like me or what I am saying so they give me bad ones out of spite. It feels that way.

I've never met anyone on this forum who would give a negative rep point because they disagreed with the information being given, and you certainly haven't been around long enough for it to be personal. Like people have said to you before, it's all about tone. If the information is given in a positive, friendly manner then you will get positive, friendly response.

jdkiggins
04-08-2008, 04:57 AM
Let's try not to take things too personal in this forum.

I'm moving this to Office Party since the rep point system has absolutely nothing to do with freelance writing, the business, or the craft of writing...unless of course you learn to pick your words carefully before posting or repping. ;)

inkkognito
04-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Take the negative rep points as practice for dealing with the writer's world in general. Since you have a proposal out, you're probably going to have to deal with rejection. It would be great if it gets snapped up the first time around, but that doesn't happen often. If negative rep points get under your skin, how will you deal with those big "no" responses? Use the reps as practice for developing a teflon coating.

NeuroFizz
04-08-2008, 09:36 PM
<blink>

WHOA!

God damn the pusher man...

TrainofThought
04-08-2008, 09:55 PM
What is with the negative rep points? It seems really childish for people to give these. Many people have liked my advice and given me some good reps (even though I am new, trying to help where I can) and then there are some people that just don't like me or what I am saying so they give me bad ones out of spite. It feels that way. The funny thing is so many people say this is supposed to be a place where everyone is nice and accepting. I wish I had not learned about these. Nobody likes hate mail.Since negative reps are allowed, some people use them as a form to disagree. Others, like myself, have only given one neg rep to let the poster know I dislike them and will put them on Ignore. I felt this was better behind the scenes then in a post.

The people on this forum are nice, but don't forget you're dealing with thousands of different personalities in several countries. But the positive rep points, or the ones where you carry on conversations, are great and surpass the negative ones. Chin up, and enjoy.

BTW, if someone gives you a vulgar or downright insulting rep, you should contact a Mod.

Anthony Matias
04-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Since negative reps are allowed, some people use them as a form to disagree. Others, like myself, have only given one neg rep to let the poster know I dislike them and will put them on Ignore. I felt this was better behind the scenes then in a post.

Am I still on ignore?

TrainofThought
04-08-2008, 10:18 PM
Am I still on ignore?No, sweetie pie, I could never put you on ignore. :)

inkkognito
04-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Putting someone on ignore takes all the fun out of life!

But then again, I'm the sort who will slow down to gape at an accident between a truckload of babies and a bus full of nuns.

TrainofThought
04-08-2008, 11:20 PM
Putting someone on ignore takes all the fun out of life!

But then again, I'm the sort who will slow down to gape at an accident between a truckload of babies and a bus full of nuns.Great! So you're the one who causes Gaper Delays. :)

Ignore lowers your blood pressure and saves you money on medication.

rhymegirl
04-09-2008, 01:11 AM
Oh. Wow. I just discovered I have a bunch of rep comments! Most of them are from one person.

Anthony Matias
04-09-2008, 03:55 AM
Oh. Wow. I just discovered I have a bunch of rep comments! Most of them are from one person.

I've only given you 1 and that was under duress!

rhymegirl
04-09-2008, 04:19 AM
I've only given you 1 and that was under duress!

Liar, liar, pants on fire.

Susie
04-09-2008, 04:55 AM
Rep points? What are those? I haven't a clue... :D

WerenCole
04-09-2008, 05:00 AM
It is funny how this exact type of thread shows up once every couple of months, isn't it?

Jaycinth
04-09-2008, 05:06 AM
It is funny how this exact type of thread shows up once every couple of months, isn't it?

Naw, sweet cheeks, this thread had been here for awhile. Check your rep pints.

TrainofThought
04-09-2008, 05:24 AM
Naw, sweet cheeks, this thread had been here for awhile. Check your rep pints.What? Why does Weren get rep pints and we only get points? Did he trade them in?

Matera the Mad
04-09-2008, 05:41 AM
I ordered a quart and all I got was a nonce. :(