I got book idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honeybea

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Im new hear!

I have this idea 2 wrt a bk like how ppl wrt 2 each other in IM. Bcoz isnt that wear were going?

& my novel is practicly wrtting itself bcause my bff andrea & delia & suzanne & I wrt every day 2 each other. About everything.

But how much should I tell? what if 1 of U wants 2 take my idea? & has it been done be4?

I know I can make a lot of money off my idea.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
First, Honeybea, welcome to AW!

Second, if you look around, you'll notice that not too many people are writing in IM speak. We have a preference for old-fashioned English around here. You'll find you have a better time here if you take the time to write things out in full sentences.

Remember, even if your novel is largely in IM-speak, your query letter can't be! :)

Hope you have a good time here.

PS: Pretty much everyone here has more ideas than time to write them. Ideas are a lot easier than finished novels -- so in general you don't have to worry about anyone stealing anything.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've written a novella in that vein. It was interesting. Good luck. First off, you have posted your idea with the date and time. That gives you some reassurance. Secondly, no one here would plagiarize. The idea isn't copyrightable. But your story within the context is.

Money? I don't want to sound discouraging, but 99% of all writers live in cardboard shanties under a bridge. Or so they say.

I certainly hope you continue to write and learn as much about the craft as possible. It's long, thankless hours of hard work. No one will be knocking down the door to read it. Not because it isn't good, but because there's so much crap being published there's not much room left. You will have to knock on the doors until your knuckles are bloody. And with some luck, it is possible to 'make it'.

I don't know if writing in PM is where we're going. Certainly it works on the internet, but it can never replace standard language usage. I mean, no one knows if you speak in shorthand. 'ppl' sounds like 'people' in conversation.

Slow down, read alot of the posts here. I mean alot. There are many pro-published authors on these boards. Their treasure is priceless. Start with 'Writing With Uncle Jim'. The man is a wealth of book-writing experience and wisdom. It will be time well-spent.

I wish you the best of luck. But you must be prepared for years of hard work and dedication. What if you decide not to go ahead and write your book and deal with all it entails? You will still be ten years older in ten years, write or no write- may as well learn a trade in the interim.

Should your book never see the light of day, you will have accumulated better language and communication skills, which are essential to all areas of life and work. I challenge you to find a university with as much to offer in the way of writing and interpersonal skills as AW. How much does college cost? How much does AW cost?

Anyway, it's a pleasure to meet a budding author and it will be exciting to watch you mature in so many ways. You'll cherish the countless friendships you will acquire in the next few months.

We're here for you.

All the best,
Rick, an unpublished writer

Sonneillon

Autophobic Misanthrope
Registered
Reaction score
I SAW that book but darn if I can remember the title, either.

I saw it too. It's bright pink and has yellow print on the cover with a picture of a smiley face. The title's in chatspeak too. Isn't it something like "C U L8TR"?

Either way, YECK.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree, Sonneillon, the format isn't for everyone, but we must allow a writer their vision. Encouragement is good for the soul as long as we don't give out false hopes.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Im new hear!

I have this idea 2 wrt a bk like how ppl wrt 2 each other in IM. Bcoz isnt that wear were going?

& my novel is practicly wrtting itself bcause my bff andrea & delia & suzanne & I wrt every day 2 each other. About everything.

But how much should I tell? what if 1 of U wants 2 take my idea? & has it been done be4?

Permit me to translate this gibberish:

Hello. I'm new here.

I have this idea to write a book using l33t, the language people use in IM. Isn't that the direction language is taking?

My novel is practically writing itself because I IM with my best friends Andrea, Dell, and Suzanne every day. We talk about everything in IM.

My question is, how much should I tell? What if someone steals my idea? Has this idea been done before?

I know I can make a lot of money from this idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Im new hear!

Maybe I needed to ask this question first before posting a reply. Can you tell us your age? It would be of great help.

Sonneillon

Autophobic Misanthrope
Registered
Reaction score
I agree, Sonneillon, the format isn't for everyone, but we must allow a writer their vision. Encouragement is good for the soul as long as we don't give out false hopes.

Yes, but between this one and the one on the fantasy board, I'm suspecting an April 1st prank.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, but between this one and the one on the fantasy board, I'm suspecting an April 1st prank.

What? An April Fool's Day prank sans pink? Methinks something's rotten in Denmark. :roll: If this is a prank, I tip my hat to the one and only Wiley Coyote!

Honeybea

Registered
Reaction score
Um. U guys rn't as nice as I thot u'd be. Im serious.

U guys hurt my feelings & trashed my idea. & now I know what U guys R like just like the guys @ school who made fun of me.

U wait & see whn my book sells it will be in all the booksores & I won't have 2 wait tables anymore or life of my parents.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
No no, April 1st pranks are restricted to OP.

Uhh.... and nicks.

But I should maybe punt this to BWQ, since it's a fairly basic question...

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org

U guys hurt my feelings & trashed my idea. & now I know what U guys R like just like the guys @ school who made fun of me.

U wait & see whn my book sells it will be in all the booksores & I won't have 2 wait tables anymore or life of my parents.

There, there, Honeybea, I'm sure nobody means it badly. It's just a little awkward that you turned up on April 1st, when everybody was expecting tricks.

Though to be sure, you turned up on March 31st.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Now I feel like a mother f****n' rat. Sorry I said those hurtful things to you. BTW, you don't happen to have any nudies of yer mama, do ya? Yer papa will do fine if Mom's butt pics aren't available.

Oh, and if you tell your parents, their lives aren't gonna be worth the value of their trailer.

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There, there, Honeybea, I'm sure nobody means it badly. It's just a little awkward that you turned up on April 1st, when everybody was expecting tricks.

Though to be sure, you turned up on March 31st.

Maybe if some people...rolls eyes...had the common courtesy to let a guy know this sh*t kids wouldn't get their da*n little feelings hurt. I hope she goes goth and cuts herself. Really, I don't care no more. What are you gonna do, ban me? It'll be your own d*m*ed fault.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Maybe if some people...rolls eyes...had the common courtesy to let a guy know this sh*t kids wouldn't get their da*n little feelings hurt. I hope she goes goth and cuts herself. Really, I don't care no more. What are you gonna do, ban me? It'll be your own d*m*ed fault.

You watch that potty mouth, young man, or you might well be asking for a time out! *tuts and stalks off*

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In the novel I Don't Know How She Does It, the main character wrote a lot of emails and always signed her name K8. It made me want to stab myself in the eyeball, mainly because she was supposed to be a grown-*ss career woman. I was embarrassed for her.

It could work for YA maybe, though. Not that I know anything about YA.

Last edited:

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Have U thought about approaching Nokia or a telecommunications provider? I think you may be able to market your book to them and then kids could read it in between text messages to their friends. Or make it educational and kids can read it on their mobiles in class, in between text messages. I think I'm on to something big here.

*All ideas expressed in this post are hereby copyrighted and can never be re-produced by anyone other than JJ Cooper and Dan Brown. Dated 01 April 2008*

JJ

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.