PDA

View Full Version : Unbelievable.

choppersmom
04-01-2008, 03:35 AM
I, for once in my life, have nothing to say.

Don't anyone ever tell me how stupid or inferior animals are, ever again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LHoyB81LnE

Kind of long at 8 minutes, but it will bring you to your knees.

ChaosTitan
04-01-2008, 03:45 AM
:eek:

Dude. I can't even paint that well.

Voyager
04-01-2008, 03:49 AM
Gobsmacked!

choppersmom
04-01-2008, 03:57 AM
Totally gobsmacked.

Appalachian Writer
04-01-2008, 03:57 AM
WELL! My whole family gathered 'round the screen for that one! Holy cow...ur...I mean elephant!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-01-2008, 03:59 AM
I... I... Jeez. That's the most incredible thing I believe I've ever seen.

Cranky
04-01-2008, 04:02 AM
That's awesome. Like, the way the word was originally used.

Awesome.

JoNightshade
04-01-2008, 04:16 AM
Ho-leee crap.

My only question is, do the elephants do this spontaneously, or are they "trained" to do this? You can see a guy in the background carting off a painting by a different elephant... with a bunch of flowers remarkably similar to the ones in the featured painting. On the other hand, the way he painted that elephant... with the perspective? That's hard to teach humans, even.

Anyone know where this is or if there's a news story about it? All I could come up with on Google was some other purported "self-portrait" that looks like a big fuzzy elephant head.

Hillary
04-01-2008, 04:22 AM
Elephants mourn their dead, too, don't they?

I adore elephants. They frickin' rock.

choppersmom
04-01-2008, 04:42 AM
Yes, the animals are trained. They are Thai elephants who are unemployed since the logging industry has been severely cut back in Thailand. There are 3000 unemployed elephants, and some of them are trained to create these paintings to raise money to keep the elephants from having to beg, or God forbid, from having to be put down.

Thai elephant owners are notorious for their love and respect for their animals. They interact and play with them regularly and treat them as members of their families. While I don't know anything about the training methods they use, I'm going to hazard a guess that they are considerably more humane than those used in America, which are barbaric to say the very, very least.

Elephants have no equal in their intelligence. They do have a sense of "self," which was previously thought to be a human province exclusively. They do grieve for their dead, and for dead elephants whom they do not know. They care for each other and exhibit a degree of emotion not to be found anywhere else, among any other animal save humans, and humans, IMO, sometimes don't deserve the gifts we've been given.

So yes, this is a learned behavior, but that elephant paints better than I do. Way better than I ever could hope to. So learned behavior or not, it's mind-blowing.

Here's a link to where you can learn more about these elephants, and buy some of their work to help their cause:

www.exoticworldgifts.com

choppersmom
04-01-2008, 04:49 AM
Hillary - Check this out:

http://www.elephants.com/