PDA

View Full Version : Food Network Fans

ChaosTitan
04-01-2008, 03:08 AM
So who else wants to admit they have a few favorite shows on The Food Network? It's okay, you know you wanna. :D

My current fave personality is Guy Fieri. Love his style, his attitude, and his sense of humor. "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" got me hooked on him. I love old-fashioned diners, and I try to not miss it on Mondays. It's made me want to travel more. I also caught an ep of his other show, "Guy's Big Bite," and there's a Fried German Potato Salad recipe I'm dying to try.

I've also gotten hooked on "Iron Chef: America." Some of the food they come up with is just....asparagus ice cream?!?!

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-01-2008, 03:26 AM
I didn't like Guy when he first joined the network, but I'm really likin' 'Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives'.

And I'm totally hooked on Alton Brown... and Paula Deen... and the Barefoot Contessa, Ina Garten.

Ol' Boy's favorite: Nigella Lawson.

StephanieFox
04-01-2008, 04:16 AM
I am in love with Alton Brown.

On the travel channel, I love Andrew Zimmern (who is a local boy) and Tony Bordain of No Reservations.

Sarita
04-01-2008, 04:20 AM
I CANNOT stand Guy Fieri. Dude, if you're saying your last name all Italian-ish, than say GEE instead of Guy. He makes me crazy. And those sunglasses on the back of his head? Even commercials of him send me into fits of rage. LOL

I love Alton Brown. Love him. I would up and move to Georgia just to bump into him at Whole Foods. I really like Anthony Bourdain, who's coming back to the Food Network on Tuesday nights. Jamie Oliver's new show on Saturday is great. I DVR it and watch it on Sunday. I also love Ina Garten. She's amazing. But cooking like her will make you weight 7000 lbs. Ellie Krieger's food style is more my speed.

I :heart: the Food Network almost as much as I :heart: ESPN.

William Haskins
04-01-2008, 04:27 AM
Ol' Boy's favorite: Nigella Lawson.

mine too...

http://img.metro.co.uk/i/pix/2007/10/nigellaPA_450x600.jpg

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-01-2008, 04:32 AM
Ol' Boy really, really appreciates that pic, William. :D

seaaircarol
04-01-2008, 04:35 AM
I like "Throwdown" and "Dinner Impossible" (although I guess they fired the host because he embellished his resume).

I, too, like "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives."

Paula Deen cracks me up because she uses so much butter.

TerzaRima
04-01-2008, 05:05 AM
Oh yeah, Paula! "Atherosclerosis, y'all."

Calla Lily
04-01-2008, 03:40 PM
Alton Brown is a minor deity.

Really.

At least in our house. :D

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Oh yeah, Paula! "Atherosclerosis, y'all."

I loved it when she said, with appropriate sad expression, "Butter killed my grandma...... at 93."

GeorgeK
04-03-2008, 08:46 AM
I like the sock puppets, I mean the science presented on Good Eats.

reenkam
04-03-2008, 09:07 AM
I don't like Guy so much...

I love Paula. She's like everyone's grandmother on TV every day. It's great.

I like Rachel Ray cause I can actually make her food.

Alton Brown is amazing. Of course.

I liked Tyler Florence a lot back when he had the show where he went to people's houses. I don't like his new one as much.

Ina Garten is also great, though I can't really make any of her foods without shopping for them specifically...and probably messing something up in the process.

mscelina
04-03-2008, 09:37 AM
I can't believe no one's mentioned "Ace of Cakes" yet.

seaaircarol
04-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Oh, yeah. I love "Ace of Cakes." Amazing!

Shadow_Ferret
04-03-2008, 08:44 PM
I haven't watched regularly in a while since they got that Guy what's-his-name his own show. Annoying drip.

And I've had it up to here with Rachael Ray.

But I do love Alton Brown and I enjoy Iron Chef.

Sarita
04-03-2008, 08:49 PM
I haven't watched regularly in a while since they got that Guy what's-his-name his own show. Annoying drip.

And I've had it up to here with Rachael Ray.

But I do love Alton Brown and I enjoy Iron Chef.You and me, same page pal. RR drives me crazy, too.

Cranky
04-03-2008, 09:09 PM
I'm a big Iron Chef fan, and I totally dig the crazy cake competitions. The stuff they come up with is stunning!

dobiwon
04-03-2008, 10:42 PM
I like the Iron Chef and Bobby Flay's Smackdown, but I think Robert Irvine ("Dinner Impossible") is becoming my favorite. I watched two last night, where he made dinner at Colonial Williamsburg (just down the road from here) using only 18th century utensils and cooking techniques, and where he cooked for some kind of King Arthur group, using only stuff from that period. Unfortunately, his future might not be so bright on the Food Channel--see this link. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23452952/)

I got a real kick out of a show (I think it was called Food Wars) where he and Guy Fieri competed by making food at a kids' summer camp. Irvine tried to make gourmet food in a camp kitchen and thought children would like it. Fieri made kid food. Guess who won?

Lyra Jean
04-03-2008, 11:22 PM
http://www.freshdv.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/alton_brown_geek_motivator.jpg

I love Alton Brown.

MovieBlogger
04-04-2008, 09:10 PM
No one has mentioned Giada yet??? She's my favorite.

I like Guy, especially on DINERS, but I think he overdoes it with the hair and the sunglasses.

And Throwdown is kind of fun, but ultimately, quite mean.

I mean, here are some people, thinking they are getting their big break on the Food Network, only to find they are only a guest star on a show by a big TV chef, and his team of experts, all trying to upstage them (and often do).

Horseshoes
04-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Emeril, anyone?

I've learned a lot from Alton, too.

anomalies
04-06-2008, 12:17 AM
Mine is the Barefoot Contessa - Ina Garten.

http://www.tifaux.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/ina.jpg

There's a marathon of sorts tomorrow, starting at 11 a.m. Eastern. :tongue

She's a good cook. Classics.

Sheryl Nantus
04-06-2008, 12:27 AM
gotta show the love for Tony Bourdain, Alton Brown and Guy - especially when he's frying up stuff that I will NEVER be able to eat!

but I admit that in my heart of hearts I miss "Two Fat Ladies"... if you never saw this show, you missed a thousand heart attacks waiting to happen. Every show they used, on average, about a pound of butter, twice that of lard and at least two quarts of heavy cream!

... in the main course.

dessert was a whole other discussion.

:D

ajkjd01
04-06-2008, 04:27 AM
I cannot stand Bobby Flay. He makes me absolutely nuts. He's the annoying American, especially with what he did on the Japanese version of Iron Chef. Talk about taking negative stereotypes abroad! Totally uncalled for.

I also have a limit on Rachel Ray. Sometimes she's got a good idea, but more than half an hour of her is punishment.

I really like Alton Brown. I like Iron Chef America and I'm totally addicted to Ace of Cakes (Duff rocks!). I love the pastry competitions. Paula Deen is awesome as well, although I have yet to try any of her recipes....I'm trying too hard to lose weight to even risk it.

ChaosTitan
04-06-2008, 08:16 PM
For some reason I cannot explain, Ina Garten drives me absolutely nuts. And not the good kind of nuts.

Snowstorm
04-06-2008, 09:05 PM
"Unwrapped" is a fav as is Alton Brown. It's fun to watch food I eat described how they're made.

CatSlave
04-06-2008, 09:22 PM
For some reason I cannot explain, Ina Garten drives me absolutely nuts. And not the good kind of nuts.
I think it's her whispery, overly-modulated voice.
She sounds like a TV commentator at a golf match.

Good food, though.

WerenCole
04-08-2008, 01:30 AM
As a life long chef who cohorts with other life long chefs who have been watching the food network for. . .well, just about ever. . . we all are coming to the same conclusion. The Food Network has sold out. It is not the same network we grew up with and loved. It has become something else entirely different, like Bravo on advertising induced speed. It has become a sham.

anomalies
04-08-2008, 05:35 PM
I think it's her whispery, overly-modulated voice.
She sounds like a TV commentator at a golf match.

Good food, though.

In 1978 she was working in the White House Office of Management and Budget! She made reports to the president, I think. That might explain her voice.

Imagine you want your own cooking show. You have to be able to speak, etc. She probably practices speaking. She is not a perfectionist, but I think she wants to come across as competent. Generally, she not skinny and perfect (like Sandra Lee), and she often laughs at getting flour all over herself. She doesn't have a million outfits, either. She's okay with me. And she's a good cook!

But I understand what people are saying. Bobby Flay's bold attitude turned me off, too, although I have softened a bit towards him after watching a few of his Throwdown shows. I also like Alton Brown, but you understand he is deliberately putting on a show. It's his schtick. He is far more serious in real life. But he is my second favorite because he explains why he is cooking the way he is.

anomalies
04-08-2008, 05:36 PM
As a life long chef who cohorts with other life long chefs who have been watching the food network for. . .well, just about ever. . . we all are coming to the same conclusion. The Food Network has sold out. It is not the same network we grew up with and loved. It has become something else entirely different, like Bravo on advertising induced speed. It has become a sham.

It's a business where rating rules. Can't blame them, really.

Lyra Jean
04-08-2008, 06:28 PM

What was it like before?

dobiwon
04-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Nobody mentioned Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern? Personally, I find his delight at eating just about everything that ever lived a little too bizarre.

Soccer Mom
04-08-2008, 06:58 PM
Alton Brown is the man. :heart: him.

But my favorite foodie show would have to be TopChef (yes, I know it's on Bravo).

And my eldest son has been addicted to the Food Network since he was four. I got my copy of Bon Appetite mag in the mail yesterday and he beat me to it. I found it in his bedroom.

Yes, my kid is weird.

Caveman
04-13-2008, 06:51 AM
If you really want to know how to cook, Alton Brown is the man.
I have some sort of fixation on Rachael Ray. I can't stop looking at her mouth. Not sure why. :)

billythrilly7th
04-13-2008, 06:17 PM
So who else wants to admit they have a few favorite shows on The Food Network? It's okay, you know you wanna. :D

My current fave personality is Guy Fieri. Love his style, his attitude, and his sense of humor. "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" got me hooked on him.

love.that.show

Elliot Cowan
04-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Here's a small thing I wrote about Food Network some time ago.
For the record I like Good Eats but can't stand Alton and I am so intolerant of Rachel Ray these days that I could cheerfully drown her in a puddle.

http://bp1.blogger.com/__j3uvxiPWpc/RuAKhu4VPhI/AAAAAAAAAjY/xae13NG8-Ws/s1600-h/r+ray.jpg

Rachel Ray (above):
Rachel Ray begins her show by saying "Hi, I'm Rachel Ray and I make thirty minute meals" like that's the only thing she ever does.
She is hugely popular because she is very cute and VERY peppy.
She likes to punctuate every word she says with some kind of enthusiastic hand gesture or a nod.
She's also a grinning idiot with a nervous laugh that makes me want to smack her.
Her nervous laughter is a short and sharp "Hah hah".

Inna Garten:
Inna is a softly spoken middle aged woman who shows you how to make food for gay man.

Sandra Lee:
Sandra Lee has a show with the idiotic name, Semi Home Made.
This means that she uses some fresh ingredients and then substitutes the rest with canned or premixed stuff.
So she'll make a salad and then unload a tin of dogfood all over it.
Sandra looks like the mother of several of my childhood friends in Australia.
They would cook things called rissoles and give their kids vegemite and cheese sandwiches for lunch.
Like Oscar the Grouch was catering.
My favourite is when Sandra Lee makes "ethnic" food, as she calls it.
She'll make curry with cornflakes and add her own special touch - Doritos sprinkled over the top and some boiled eggs.
At the end of each show Sandra makes a fancy cocktail to make her feel like a big city girl and then shows us her "table scape".
Most people like to sit at the dinner table and eat but Sandra likes to distract from her awful food by covering the table in shit.

Emmeril Lugasi:
Emmeril is a strange one.
He's been around for years and is a darling of the Food Network set.
To me he seems like a NYC cab driver they dragged in off the street and told him that he had to pretend to cook or he wouldn't get his prize.
He's so important that he has a live show with an audience and a band.
The audience shrieks with laughter every time he does something dopey and bursts into applause when he uses certain ingredients.
"So, I'm gonna put some gingah innis pan here" - and the audience claps and whoops.
It's very fucking weird.
They also like to applaud when he uses garlic, like it's a new and clever idea.

Paula Deen:
Although I'd never cook a single thing she makes, I have a soft spot for Paula.
She's kind of the hillbilly version of the Two Fat Ladies, if anyone knows of them.
She cooks nothing without smothering it in butter and fat.
The woman deep fries green salad.
She's very warm and sincere about her quest to raise cholesterol levels simply by turning her show on and watching calmly for 6 or 7 minutes.
She makes all those whacky southern things that nobody in the rest of world knows of beyond movies and TV and would certainly never eat.

Lyra Jean
04-14-2008, 06:13 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Emeril was weird. "Let's kick it up another notch!"

Rachel Ray has the Oral-B mouth. Remember the commercials for that toothbrush. To reach your back teeth you can either get a hinged mouth, and it shows the man and his face just opens up so the top of his head is resting on the back of his neck, or you can get the Oral-B toothbrush with the special brush head and bristles designed to reach the back of your mouth.

MichaelDeVere
04-14-2008, 06:32 PM
Mario Batali was the best chef the network ever had.

The two fat English ladies who rode motorcycles were pretty amusing.

Most of the personalities are pretty so-so now.

Travel Channel's Anthony Bourdain (No Reservations) kicks them all to the curb.