PDA

View Full Version : Just an alert

scullars
03-31-2005, 12:02 AM
Just heard about www.zabasearch.com (http://www.zabasearch.com/) on the radio today. It's up as a beta site during March but the web is due to finalize. You plug in your name and they have the following listed: your birthdate, address and in some cases, phone number, and images (if you have any on the web) for everyone to see (esp. stalkers). I was surprised to see my address as I am supposed to be unlisted in the directory. Also, total strangers can order a background check on a person and get all of their addresses dating back 20 years, their bankruptcy records, liens, information on relatives, friends and neighbors.

This is obviously a case of TMI, and is an irresistable invitation for someone to misuse this information. I've already emailed the owners requesting that they remove the information on me and my mother. :Wha:

E.G. Gammon
03-31-2005, 12:17 AM
That website HAS to be stopped! Both of my numbers were listed along with my home address.

Fractured_Chaos
03-31-2005, 12:28 AM
How do I contact them, to get removed from that list?

scullars
03-31-2005, 12:29 AM
This site makes it too easy for someone to stalk somebody. For instance, other sites have multiple listings of names addresses. But this site provides a birthdate, which makes it that much easier to identify you. A scenario that my co-workers and I were discussing was with an abused woman moved to another state. If she's kept her name, there might be others with her name and her ex might not be willing to track all of them down. But with a birthdate, both month and year, she's as good as identified. And note, my address is NOT supposed to be listed in any directory. And it's my NEW address, just two years old, plus they have my older address. Luckily, they don't have my phone number.

Fractured_Chaos
03-31-2005, 12:33 AM
REMOVAL FROM DATABASE

If an individual emails ZABASEARCH and provides adequate information, which is their full name, date of birth, address, and telephone number, their information will be removed or blocked from source databases. Although most information is usually removed or blocked permanently, ZABASEARCH does not guarantee that the information will not be available again in the future from other sources or ZABASEARCH itself.

Lovely, they're making no promises, here. I am not a happy camper. And I still haven't found an email address to contact them.

scullars
03-31-2005, 12:33 AM
How do I contact them, to get removed from that list?

I went to the first page and hit the link This beta site will be online until March 31st. (https://www.zabasearch.com/help_zaba_form_t.php) and found this email address: info@zabasearch.com

BradyH1861
03-31-2005, 12:49 AM
I suggest emailing them and demanding (not asking) that they remove your information from this and ALL FUTURE VERSIONS of the site within thirty days. Advise them that failure to do so will result in the appropriate legal action.

Second, forward the email to your state Attorney General's Office with a link to the website and a brief statement that you feel that your rights are being violated by this public posting of information. Ask your AG to step in and protect the public good from these internet preditors.

Third, forward the email to your state and federal congressmen. Ask them to do the same as you asked the Attorney General.

Finally, forward the email to the US Attorney General's Office and the US Department of Justice.

That's what I did, anyway.

Brady H.

ChunkyC
03-31-2005, 01:43 AM
I don't like that "Removal from Database" thing either. What they want from you to get your name removed, is just the kind information you don't want them to have in the first place. It's almost like a phishing scam.

Ugly ugly ugly. Shut 'em down.
PS -- is it a coincidence that this was my 666th post? http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/eek.gif

Poppy
03-31-2005, 01:52 AM
That IS a freaky coincidence, ChunkyC.

My name doesn't appear to have a listing. I didn't check my husband's though.

BradyH1861
03-31-2005, 02:02 AM
I have a listing. Every address I've had since 1995. My wife doesn't have a listing under her married name, but she does under her maiden name.

These people just need to be put down. Crap like this is the reason why I joined the Libertarian Party. And I don't expect the government will be willing to do anything to stop it. They use "public data" stuff all the time to circumvent procedural safeguards which are supposed to protect us.

But every politician wants to get reelected. If enough people make a stink about it, they will have no choice but to listen.

Brady H.

sthrnwriter
03-31-2005, 02:04 AM
Amazingly my address isn't listed either, my old texas one or my oklahoma one. I do think this site needs to be shut down. Of course, that might not happen to after someone gets hurt because of it.

reph
03-31-2005, 03:07 AM
Brady, I don't know of a reason to think the Libertarian party would do better than any other party at suppressing this kind of cr*p. Do you? Libertarians oppose heavy-handed government, but they go easy on private enterprise.

William Haskins
03-31-2005, 03:17 AM
welcome to nineteen eighty-four.

if you have a listed phone number in the united states, try this on for size: go to google and type it in using the 555-555-5555 format (area code and number, with dashes).

behold, a map to your house.

have a great evening,
william

BradyH1861
03-31-2005, 06:39 AM
Brady, I don't know of a reason to think the Libertarian party would do better than any other party at suppressing this kind of cr*p. Do you? Libertarians oppose heavy-handed government, but they go easy on private enterprise.

Good point. I obviously do not dare presume to speak for the LP, but I think they would oppose something like this simply because of the privacy issue. But then again, I could be wrong. (Yes, it happens from time to time)

Of course, there are those that would see ME as an agent of government oppression!

Brady H.

maestrowork
03-31-2005, 07:43 AM
My newspaper said everything on that site could be easily obtained through legal means (the data seemed to be pulled from various databases -- all legal and publically available). So there's nothing the company is doing that is not legal or can't be obtained.

That said, he said it's this kind of things that would push legislature to change. It's getting too easy for any Joe Blow to get information on others. If enough people cry foul, the government would have to change the laws...

BlueTexas
03-31-2005, 08:00 AM
Wow...all my addresses from the past ten years, and some that had my birthdate but the address of a relative. Hmmm. Weirder, my most current info is bad info I gave to some website (wish like hell I could remember where) that required birthdate and all that. I have a standard fake I use for site that make you register and put in info they have no business asking for, and now this place has it.

jdkiggins
03-31-2005, 08:23 AM
Great! More information about me being published in a place I didn't give prior approval.

My number is unlisted, I'd like to know how they Googled that? This sort of thing makes me sick.

BradyH1861
03-31-2005, 08:26 AM
That said, he said it's this kind of things that would push legislature to change. It's getting too easy for any Joe Blow to get information on others. If enough people cry foul, the government would have to change the laws...

I agree. We the people run this country, not the government. They just seem to forget that from time to time.

I once had a chicken peck me on the side of the head when I was a kid. I immediately cried fowl.

Brady H.

jdkiggins
03-31-2005, 08:28 AM
Here's a question. Do all who just clicked on that site now need to worry about them hacking into our computers and getting the nitty gritty bank, credit card and other such info?

BradyH1861
03-31-2005, 08:38 AM
I wouldn't "think" so, but you never know.

I pull a copy of my credit report every six months and check it carefully to see if any new accounts have been opened without my knowledge. I also carefully check my bank statements and credit card statements as well.

I know it sounds paranoid, but you cannot be too careful these days. The internet is a wonderful thing, but it can be put to evil uses. These online usurpers take all of the fun out of it.

(I just wanted to use the word usurpers :Ssh: )

Brady H.

Alphabeter
03-31-2005, 04:56 PM
I feel a little better.

That site has my previous two addresses but not my current unknown one (though might have something to do with the name on the deed).
It didn't have the correct phone number for one of the addresses (which is still active, I just transferred the name on the bill to the new occupant) and didn't have my correct birth year on the other.

Still, its dangerous. Its one thing to cull public records (which usually gets some clerk suspicious anyway), but its entirely too freakishly easy to get information from a site and go a'huntin'.

Oh for shiites, I looked up a few newsworthy names. I let the two cable news anchors know what I found (their email addresses are available through their network sites) but I wonder who will tell the three actress/celebrities (and they weren't from Paris Hilton's address book) and one male model where I (and anyone else) can find them?

SRHowen
03-31-2005, 05:30 PM
Nothing on me at all. Not my married name, not my maiden name, and not my old married name. My hubby is listed, I think, as it only lists a birth month and year, butno phone number or addresses.

I also have credit protection--one of those alert things that notifies you when anything on your credit report changes, and tells you when your credit info has been looked at.

Shawn

Sarita
03-31-2005, 05:37 PM
That site has my previous two addresses but not my current unknown one

Same here, but it did have my birthday and new phone number! Yikes! And I have a stalker out there somewhere. Hope he doesn't find this site and come to my house again! :crazy:

And Haskins, I hate that google thing, but there is a way to be removed from it. You can click on your name and there will be a link saying remove me from this database. I did that about a year ago and my number hasn't popped up again.

Maryn
03-31-2005, 05:45 PM
It's got my current address and phone, and my husband's, including his work number. (How handy, since I tend to forget it.) We're in the phone book, so that's a no-brainer. They didn't get any previous addresses or phone numbers, although I hardly quiver in fear at someone visiting the old house (although if they go soon, they'll see several hundred daffodils I planted).

To my relief, it doesn't have our college-age kids' addresses listed at all.

Once again, I'm extremely relieved that I never, ever use my real name online. When/if my novels come out, I'm going to have to consider carefully whether I'll use a pseudonym.

I've never been stalked, but I've had my life threatened by a disturbed guy I banned from a chat I moderate. If he had my real name, he'd have been here. People who have upset those who know their real names and approximate ages are less safe because this site exists.

Creepy!

Added in Edit: Know any major or minor celebrities? I know a few authors and the family of an actor (although I don't know him)--and every one of them is listed with a home address, or their families' home addresses. Look up your own brushes with greatness, then move on to nationally known news anchors, politicians, musicians, actors, etc. If your experience mirrors mine, you'll find probable addresses for about 2/3 of them. Some, of course, will be business addresses, but some appear to be private residences. It might be fully possible to drop in unannounced on most of the men listed in the Hunk thread... [shudder]

Maryn
03-31-2005, 06:12 PM
A few minutes later...

The office of the Attorney General of New York is already interested after I emailed my concerns. This bodes well for privacy freaks like me.

Maryn

William Haskins
03-31-2005, 06:40 PM
And Haskins, I hate that google thing, but there is a way to be removed from it. You can click on your name and there will be a link saying remove me from this database. I did that about a year ago and my number hasn't popped up again.

damn. i guess shoving that rotting skunk carcass in their P.O. box was a bit of overkill. i really should try to be more subtle.

Sarita
03-31-2005, 08:47 PM
:ROFL: I'm sure it helped!

ChunkyC
03-31-2005, 10:01 PM
i guess shoving that rotting skunk carcass in their P.O. box was a bit of overkill
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/Emoterofl5.gif

MacAllister
04-01-2005, 01:31 AM
This is not going to be a popular take on the matter...BUT (deep-breath-here-I-go-anyway) I think this is largely a false fear. Statistically speaking, women have MUCH more to fear from their husband or the guy they date, than from some IM weirdo.

Do you really, really want to encourage and support the federal goverment taking yet more control over information--information that is all from public records--available on the internet?

I don't. Especially not this administration.

I must go and find my tinfoil beanie, now.

BradyH1861
04-01-2005, 01:36 AM
Mac,

I cannot find my tinfoil beanie. Do you happen to have one I can borrow?

Brady H.

MacAllister
04-01-2005, 01:39 AM
never fear, Brady--you can build your own (http://zapatopi.net/afdb.html)...

And I'd get right on that, if I were you. Can't be too careful.

BradyH1861
04-01-2005, 01:48 AM
Thanks Mac. You're a lifesaver.

(or at least a mind saver)

Brady H.

Fractured_Chaos
04-01-2005, 01:52 AM
This is not going to be a popular take on the matter...BUT (deep-breath-here-I-go-anyway) I think this is largely a false fear. Statistically speaking, women have MUCH more to fear from their husband or the guy they date, than from some IM weirdo.

Do you really, really want to encourage and support the federal goverment taking yet more control over information--information that is all from public records--available on the internet?

Okay, Mac, I can see that, and yes, I can agree to a certain extent.

I think, though, that selling your information, and/or making it pubicly available to anyone who wants it, without your consent is a violation of privacy.

Now, admittedly, there are alot of things on the web, and IRL that you can sign, that states clearly that the information will be sold, and you have the choice to -not- sign it (always, always, always read the small print). However, it appears there are a few people on this list who have -never- given out certain information, that has found its way there. THAT'S where I have the problem.

Galoot
04-01-2005, 03:26 AM
I'm not in there. Then again, I'm somewhat north of most of you. Y'all are welcome up here in Canada, eh.

MacAllister
04-01-2005, 03:28 AM
I'm actually not in there, either, Galoot. I do tend to be a bit phobically careful about privacy issues--and so I'm quite careful about what ends up online and where.

scullars
04-01-2005, 04:44 AM

In a couple of cases, the women who had unwanted information posted had dealt with a stalker in the past, and were afraid their stalker would find this site. I don't know whether the stalker in either case was someone known to them, or a stranger who became obsessed, but they definitely were surprised to find they had their information published for anyone to see.

The part that is scary for some is that ex boyfriends and husbands can now track down fleeing wives who may not have changed their names for convenience sake, but who had taken measures to make sure their private information was unpublished. This site now makes them targets again.

MacAllister
04-01-2005, 04:48 AM
I understand that, Scullars--and believe me, I'm not in the LEAST unsympathetic. I hope I didn't sound that way. I'm a single woman. I dealt with a creepy internet would-be stalker, just a year or so ago.

I just think government regulation A. probably won't work anyway, and B. Gives away power-over-information.

I think the better answer is to educate ourselves about the internet and how to maintain some degree of privacy--by friggin' hook or by crook.

Birol
04-01-2005, 04:54 AM
The thing is, this type of information has always been readily available. It is public information. The difference between then and now is, more people know where to go and get it.

As far as selling your public information, companies such as this are not selling your information -- it is public and has little value in its own right -- they are selling convenient access to your information. The information available on the website indicated can easily be obtained by purchasing an inexpensive marketing list from any type of mailing list provider.

Maryn
04-01-2005, 05:35 PM
I'm curious about something. I've known my friend Kate for about 15 years. She's single and lives alone. She guards her privacy as fiercely as a woman who's been stalked or abused, although she hasn't been a crime victim since I've known her.

Kate isn't listed in any telephone directory. She does not use her real name online (and goes online very little). She does not shop online. She doesn't sign up for contests and give-aways. She gets almost no junk mail--that's how private she is.

ZabaSearch has her current address and phone number, plus her last two addresses, and the month and year of her birth. What public record(s) did they cull to get this information?

Maryn, now accepting calls and playing your requests

SRHowen
04-01-2005, 09:29 PM
I don't think there are a lot of random stalkers out there--I've dealt with one or two in the years I've been online, but then we have them at 7-11 as well. Customers who won't leave you alone and make comments that send bad vibes through you--we have code words we use with the ones we work with--see them in the bad vibe situation and we will say--the boss needs you in the office, even if the boss isn't there.

The trouble is-- women who are hidding from an abusive partner. I have a nasty ex who would do anything to get my current phone number or address (even after 15 years of being divorced) (if it is free--he's always broke)(and he is a computer idiot)

I'm lucky I'm not on there. I think one reason may be that I am careful about stuff I fill out online or elsewhere, if it asks for birthdate I back off. And I suspect some of that comes from birth records--I don't have an official birth certif. I have a certif of live birth. That may make a difference.

Shawn

sgtsdaughter
04-01-2005, 10:05 PM
I'm curious about something. I've known my friend Kate for about 15 years. She's single and lives alone. She guards her privacy as fiercely as a woman who's been stalked or abused, although she hasn't been a crime victim since I've known her.

Kate isn't listed in any telephone directory. She does not use her real name online (and goes online very little). She does not shop online. She doesn't sign up for contests and give-aways. She gets almost no junk mail--that's how private she is.

ZabaSearch has her current address and phone number, plus her last two addresses, and the month and year of her birth. What public record(s) did they cull to get this information?

Maryn, now accepting calls and playing your requests

most likely her info was secured through the social security administration. they may not complete info, but enough is given out to secure a search for more details. also, dmv records, employment . . . the list goes on and on.

facts are usually easy to obtain if, and depending on the job codes you've had over the years records of employment can be public record. and school records--not the details but verification that you attended are far too easy to obtain.

Alphabeter
04-01-2005, 10:27 PM
And I suspect some of that comes from birth records--I don't have an official birth certif. I have a certif of live birth. That may make a difference.
Shawn

For reference and curiosity, what is the difference Shawn?

Fractured_Chaos
04-01-2005, 11:46 PM
One thing I've been hearing here, and in a couple other places where I posted the info on this particular site, is...

Alot of people are mentioning that some of the info is wrong. Like wrong birthdate, or an address of a reletive, but their name, etc, etc.

I'm wondering, with this many "mistakes", if that isn't some phishing expedition to get people who are not very net savvy to email them to get that info corrected? Once they do that, they can't say a thing about privacy violations.

This whole thing gives me the heebies because it's NOT on the up-and-up, it seems.

SRHowen
04-01-2005, 11:52 PM
A birth certif is given at the time of birth by a hospital mid-wife etc. A certif of live birth is given after, such as home births, or if for some reason you can't get a BC like the court house burned down and the hospital has no records then you get a certif of live birth. In some states, babies born to minors, while they have BC, the court house of records office gives out a certif of live birth instead, it doesn't list parents birth dates and sometimes not even parents names.

Shawn

sgtsdaughter
04-02-2005, 01:28 AM
One thing I've been hearing here, and in a couple other places where I posted the info on this particular site, is...

Alot of people are mentioning that some of the info is wrong. Like wrong birthdate, or an address of a reletive, but their name, etc, etc.

I'm wondering, with this many "mistakes", if that isn't some phishing expedition to get people who are not very net savvy to email them to get that info corrected? Once they do that, they can't say a thing about privacy violations.

This whole thing gives me the heebies because it's NOT on the up-and-up, it seems.

ding ding ding . . . i think we have a winner. and i wouldn't be surprised if the larger, established engines, won't be buying the corrected info from this one.

ahh, the world of devious business. :wag:

ChunkyC
04-02-2005, 01:49 AM
Just so. It's the info they ask for in order to be removed that really smells like a phishing scam to me. You basically have to give them most of the information you don't want them to have in the first place before they'll take your listing off the site. Scary, man.

Elincoln
04-02-2005, 02:21 AM
I just looked up mine and something's not right. First all, they don't have me under my married name, which is odd since I own property with that name. They do have my husband's info somewhat right (though he's already taking steps to get it deleted, without giving them info--it's part of his job). The only thing they have on me is from 10 years ago and that info will only lead someone to a burned down house (not me, happened after I moved out). What I'm noticing, and what's making me feel weird. All the info I saw is the EXACT same stuff I get as Junk mail. They keep sending us stuff for my father-in-law here at this house when he never lived here. So I wonder, this group might be using the same list as the junk senders use. And if they are...then there's no way this company is going to really remove the info. They'll take it down from the site, but I think they won't destroy it.

Now, that's scary!!!

-Elaine

Galoot
04-02-2005, 02:34 AM
Man, would I hate to be one of the few people named Eric Siegel who live in Atlanta, Georgia.

Especially the Eric Siegel whose name, phone number and email address all appear when you look up the free and publicly available WHOIS entry for ZabaSearch.com (https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/whois.asp?se=%2B&domain=zabasearch%2Ecom).

It sure would suck to be Eric Siegel in Atlanta, Georgia, huh?

reph
04-02-2005, 07:10 AM
Galoot, that link took me to a page where I could do nothing but type access codes, in endless cycles, much like Purgatory. I can pretty well guess who Eric Siegel is, though.

Shawn, my document is called Certificate of Live Birth and has lots of information on it: parents' names, mother's previous deliveries, length of pregnancy, any birth injury (no), all sorts of things.

sgtsdaughter
04-02-2005, 07:21 AM
funny. . . they have me as my dad's birthday--year et al. now, there's some redneck jokes just waiting to happen.

my sister doesn't exist. now that's what i call sleuthing.

just another engine to give us more junk mail in our snail mail and more in our in-boxes.

Galoot
04-02-2005, 07:39 AM
Galoot, that link took me to a page where I could do nothing but type access codes, in endless cycles, much like Purgatory. I can pretty well guess who Eric Siegel is, though.Ain't that a rotter! :(

Well, I'd save you the trouble and just post the private information of Eric Siegel from Atlanta, Georgia to this public forum, but that would probably be wrong. I respect Eric Siegel's right to privacy as much as he respects yours.

Besides, I don't have to. You can get it here (http://www.whois.sc/zabasearch.com) or by typing "zabasearch.com" into the form at Network Solutions (http://www.networksolutions.com/en_US/whois/index.jhtml).

My conscience is clear.

Fractured_Chaos
04-02-2005, 10:28 AM
OKay, call me stupid but...Who is Eric Siegal?

Fractured_Chaos
04-02-2005, 10:30 AM
Nevermind...I googled the name.

How....ironic.

Galoot
04-02-2005, 10:37 AM
OKay, call me stupid but...Who is Eric Siegal?
Eric Siegel is the name listed as the administrative contact for Zabasearch. His name, address, phone number and email address all reside behind those links up there.

Hey, it's out there, why not share it with anyone who's curious? I just hope someone who's angry about Zabasearch doesn't run across that personal contact information. Just like I'm sure he hopes nobody's stalker uses Zabasearch to look up their victim.

And call me stupid, but why do you call yourself "dragonliver?"

MacAllister
04-02-2005, 10:48 AM
Why because she's such a rare and unique ingredient, Galoot...

Fractured_Chaos
04-02-2005, 10:55 AM
And call me stupid, but why do you call yourself "dragonliver?"

It's dragonlover :wag:

And It was the on-line nick I picked many, many moons ago when I was in an IRC channel connected with Elfwood. I also collect the silly darn things.

:ROFL:

I also collect swords, btw. *EG*

;)

Fractured_Chaos
04-02-2005, 10:56 AM
Why because she's such a rare and unique ingredient, Galoot...

Awwwww! :Hug2:

Greenwolf103
04-02-2005, 01:50 PM
Well it has me listed with an old address but it says I was born in a different month AND in 1944. :Smack:

....Works for me....

scullars
04-03-2005, 08:12 PM
Wonder if this will be effective. Sent an email with the link to a gossip columnist at EOnline letting them know that stars unpublished information is being given away freely. He seems good at answering his emails, so maybe once he plugs in a name or two, he'll pass the word on to his cronies and acquaintances. A few disgruntled stars demanding the site's cessation might be more effective than just notifying the attys general. We'll see.

Greenwolf103
04-03-2005, 09:40 PM
Dang, George Clooney's not on there! :Headbang:

scullars
04-03-2005, 09:46 PM
Aaahhh George Clooney's over... Jude Law is the one (let me go check). But wait...does he even live on these shores? I don't think this site has gone int'l yet.

Torin
04-03-2005, 10:10 PM
And it's now saying the beta version will be up until April 30. So much for the March 31 deadline. I'm in Canada, and not listed. Yet. Man, this is bad.

Maryn
04-03-2005, 10:48 PM
That's one of the things I tried, too, typing in the names of celebrities. They're among the at-risk group for major invasion of privacy by those who could harm them, don't you think?

(Must be a bummer having the name of a celebrity--and there's a lot of them. Also a surprising number of Bilbo Baggins listings!)

I also typed in the name of the attorney general in my state No address, but I got a phone number that not a government office prefix and could be his home.

Hmm, who to phone first, Keanu, Brad, Johnny...

KellyS.
04-04-2005, 12:21 AM
Thanks. It had my address and my birth month and year, but no phone number. I have been on a site where you look up a street name. It will tell you every street number and who lives at each. That was freaky too. I'll have to try to find that one again.

What's weird about that link is that it has my middle initial as well. The only place that ended up was when I applied for my copyright and then stupid PA put it on their site and on the idiotic papers they send to the addresses you supply. May mean nothing, but I still don't like it.

Richard White
04-04-2005, 12:34 AM
Luckily, there I've got too common a name for them to easily find me and I'll be damned if I'll fill in all the blanks for them.

There's no way to tell if by filling in the first page if you're adding yourself to a cold fusion driven database.

I'll pass, thank you.

Tish Davidson
04-05-2005, 12:55 PM
You have to wonder where they got the info. I'm not listed at all, my husband is listed with an incorrect middle initial (actually he doesn't have one) , my older child is not listed at all, and the birthdate is wrong on the younger, although the address is right. My one childs significant other is listed only at an old address. I would say that the listings cannot be from the phone book, because I'm in the white pages, but not listed here, and my husband's name is correctly listed in the phone book, but incorrect here. Also on all legal documents, he uses his correct name which is just first-last (no middle initial) so I question whether the source really is publically available legal docs.

Chacounne
04-05-2005, 01:41 PM
My husband is listed under a 15 year old address, his son is listed with just a phone number, his daughter is listed with current contact info but the wrong birthdate. The info isn't from SSI or DSHS because his info would be current. Hmm, time to write the Attorney General, Congress, and media.

Not happy in the least,
Chacounne

Mac H.
04-05-2005, 01:52 PM
Now that 'publicly available information' is a whole lot more accessible, it IS becoming a concern.

In my country (Australia) it is even more bizarre. The database of criminal records which is publicly funded is not available to the public - only to the police, courts etc. (Schools do a criminal record check for paedophiles etc, but they don't have access to the database - they have special permission to query the police who simply say 'yes' or 'no')

But the fact that an individual has gone to court, and had a certain outcome - that is public information. So a PRIVATE database has been set up to collect that information, and for $20 will give you the criminal record of anyone you want.

So the PUBLICLY funded database is PRIVATE, and the PRIVATELY funded database is PUBLIC...

Mac.