PDA

View Full Version : Law & Order made an error tonight (I think)

Plot Device
03-31-2008, 05:58 AM
Tonight's episode involves contaminated toothpaste from China.

Their "ripped from today's headlines" schtick is obviously trying to borrow momentum from the recent lead-contaminated toys from China. But the error that I think I see in tonight's episode is that even though it's perfectly fine here in the USA to import toys, I was told that it is not permissible to import pharmaceuticals--and toothpaste is classified as an "oral pharmceutical." I used to work (in a rather low-level job, I addmit) for a pharmaceutical company, and I was told that the FDA puts strict controls on toothpaste and mouthwash, etc. That kind of stuff cannot be imported and MUST be manufactured here in the USA.

If anyone else has info that differs, please share.

SmartAsh
03-31-2008, 06:04 AM
I don't know anything about the issue you raise, but I wouldn't doubt that it's an error. They make up criminal rules of procedure to suit their purpose for the court cases in nearly every episode... I wouldn't take anything from Law & Order as fact.

Mac H.
03-31-2008, 06:39 AM
That kind of stuff cannot be imported and MUST be manufactured here in the USA.

If anyone else has info that differs, please share.
Where the heck do you get this information from !?

Compare: http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/toothpaste.html

To quote:

FDA has found a poisonous chemical, diethylene glycol (DEG), in certain toothpastes imported from China. The agency increased its scrutiny and testing of imported toothpaste and dental products after receiving reports in late May 2007 of contaminated Chinese dental products found in several countries, including PanamaThe USA imports pharmaceuticals all the time.

Ironically, the quality of some medical devices (such as surgical stents) are HIGHER outside of the USA compared to inside . This is because the company introduces a new device to most of the world, but it simply isn't worth the expense of getting the new device approved for the USA.

This is because if you are the market leader with 'Product A', if you spend $1 million getting 'Product A.1' approved, you'll only be taking sales away from your own 'Product A' .. so you won't be getting any more income.

Some medical companies simply wait until a competitor is taking seales away before they introduce 'Product A.1' to the USA ... while the rest of the world has had it for a while.

Mac

Plot Device
03-31-2008, 10:13 PM
Where the heck do you get this information from !?

If you had read my entire post, you would have

a) known where I got the information from

and

b) hopefully not been so demeaning in your response.

Mac H.
04-01-2008, 03:13 AM
Crikeys - I wasn't trying to be demeaning.

I had read the entire post, but all I could figure out was that you were told it. It just seemed like such a far-fetched thing to be told, I gave a somewhat "I'm flabbergasted" response.

Please read my previous post as "I'm flabbergasted" rather than "I demean you".

Apologies,

Mac