PDA

View Full Version : April Mileage

Maryn
03-30-2005, 06:28 PM
April is the cruelest month--or not, depending on whether you enjoy a bit of exercise or hate even the mildest exertion.

Whether you run, jog, walk, stairclimb, row, train on an elliptical or Nordictrack machine, rollerblade, cross-country ski, swim, bicycle, or do wheelchair workouts, you probably have a pretty good idea how far you move every time you exercise.

This thread is for everyone who moves for the purpose of exercise. Fit or flabby, young or old, long-active or fresh from years of sedentary living, give yourself credit.

Post the miles or kilometers (say which it is, please) you moved for exercise purposes every time you work out in the month of April. At the end of the month, Iíll total it up, converting the sum to miles and kilometers.

Iím expecting a pretty impressive number! (I hope my math skills are up to the task.)

Maryn, a walker

Maryn
04-02-2005, 05:50 PM
Nobody else? Oh well, I can log my own here, but the number won't be nearly as impressive.

April 1, 3.0 miles

Melina
04-02-2005, 07:39 PM
April 1= 1.2 mi

Melina

ritinrider
04-03-2005, 07:36 PM
Wow, two days of not walking really took a toll on me. I'd been walking every day (okay for four days), but skipped Friday because I was a wuss and it was raining when I finally got my tail out of bed. Yes, it quit raining, and the sun even came out, but by then I was out of the mood. Saturday I worked in the morning and was just too lazy to take time for a walk. So today, I'm trying to get back on track. Made it, just barely.

I mile for me today. So far we have a total of 5.5 miles, right? Come on people post your milage.

Nita

brokenfingers
04-03-2005, 07:48 PM
.00019 miles today.

Had to get my mail...

ritinrider
04-03-2005, 07:50 PM
On Sunday, Broken? Next time walk down to the end of the block and back, or around the house or something. Try to make it at least .00025 miles, it'll make it easier for our fearless leader to add.

Niita

brokenfingers
04-03-2005, 07:53 PM
Things were too hectic yesterday what with all the hubbub over the contest and all.

Actually I have a very physical job and I'm on my feet walking etc all day so I really get a good workout during the week.

Weekends are for lounging and relaxing and checking out the AW Forum.

Oh! And writing too, of course!

(Edit my entry to .25 miles then - I did also have to go out to my truck and find my parachute pants...)

ritinrider
04-03-2005, 07:55 PM
Well, count your dayjob milage. We need miles.

Relaxing at the board is a good thing.

Nita

ritinrider
04-04-2005, 04:59 AM
I'm baaaack. Went for another 1 mile walk, it was 7pm and too much daylight to ignore, so awalking I went.

Whew, drinking water and breathing now.

Nita

Melina
04-04-2005, 11:21 AM
April 2 = 1.5 miles

April 3 = 0 miles :(

Melina

Maryn
04-05-2005, 01:11 AM
April 4th, 3.0 miles--and I jogged for a couple minutes in there, too, which is no mean feat (pun fully intended) for me.

(I've got to get a better bra for this before I hurt somebody!)

Maryn, minutely fitter

ritinrider
04-05-2005, 04:01 AM
April 4, 2 miles, no jogging. They don't make a bra heavy duty enough for me to jog.

Maryn
04-05-2005, 04:59 AM
We're already at 12.95 miles--and it's only April 4th!

ritinrider
04-07-2005, 02:24 AM
April 5 - 2 miles

April 6 - 2 miles (husband walked with me on the second mile, said I was on my own from now on, he doesn't like walking unless there's a destination in mind.)

Maryn
04-07-2005, 08:49 PM
April 7, 5.0 miles, plus at least .05 miles to the car and back. (We do like our round numbers!)

Don't go assuming I'm athletic or even fit, BTW. If you saw me, you would assume I couldn't do five miles. Hahaha, fooled you!

It was pretty great, actually. Upper 50s, very light rain, nobody around. And a brand new kick-a$$ CD our daughter burned for me now that her entire collection is on her computer. You can get such energy from music, eh?

The only bad parts were that near the end my sock was rubbing a bit (I just peeked--no blister), and that there's not a restroom anywhere. I find my speed doesn't drop off if I'm genuinely eager to get back to the starting point ASAP!

Maryn, totally full of herself for the next ten minutes or so

ritinrider
04-08-2005, 02:46 AM
Maryn, are you and I really the only two walking, running, jogging, swimming,cycling, or otherwise moving? For today 1.5 miles walking and 4 miles riding the exercise bike. Goal is to walk 5 miles in one go. Got a ways before I'm there.

Also Maryn, you weren't full of yourself this morning, you were pumped up and high on endorphines (or some such thing). Since I've gotten into a walking routine I find I almost look forward to it. *shakes head* there's gotta be something wrong with looking forward to exercise.

Nita

Maryn
04-08-2005, 05:12 PM
It can't be just us, can it? (Melina, you still with us?) I was expecting a lot of visitors from the Health thread. Guess that rumor about exercise being an integral part of health must be a big fat lie, huh?

When I turned a certain age-ending-with-zero I gave myself permission to exercise differently--and what a difference it made. I like walking--but when I did more vigorous exercise in my youth, I absolutely detested it. I felt, at best, self-righteous at having tortured myself cardiovascularly. (<--new word!)

Now I endure indoor walking (necessary about 4 months of the year). Once I can return to my favorite outdoor walking-place I don't mind the exercise itself, only the time it takes.

I think I'll go again today!

Maryn

rtilryarms
04-08-2005, 05:21 PM
I jogged my memory does that count?

Melina
04-08-2005, 05:49 PM
Yep, I'm here, with stuff to report:

April 4 = 1 mi

April 5 = 0 mi

April 6 = 2 mi

April 7 = 0 mi

It's been really rainy here, lately, and I absolutely refuse to do the treadmill. Been away from the computer for a couple of days, RL has been hectic. Good job, you guys, keep it up! My mileage has been sporadic because of the rain. I live in San Francisco, so the walking is always a good workout (hills!), and there's always something interesting to see.

Maryn
04-08-2005, 11:43 PM
April 8 = 5.0 miles

ritinrider
04-09-2005, 04:33 AM
Melina, good going, glad your still with us, every little bit helps. I don't have a treadmill, I'm sure I would hate it if I did, but I do have an exercise bike, not fond of it either. However, on days I can't, weather interferance or something, or won't, safety issue - I refuse to walk if drivers can't see me at all, dark or foggy, then and only then, I resort to the exercise bike. There's a milage thingy on my indoor bike, I think it's accurate. I hope it is, I've been counting the miles it has.

So that said for today:
4 miles on the indoor bike
1.6 miles walking the streets

Nita

ChunkyC
04-09-2005, 06:52 PM
Can't believe I missed this thread. Okay, here are my numbers so far (not counting running around at work, or chasing the missus around the couch)

April 1 -- 2 miles
April 3 -- 2.5 miles
April 4 -- 2 miles
April 6 -- 2 miles
April 8 -- 2 miles

My total so far: 10.5 miles

Maryn
04-09-2005, 07:51 PM
Excellent, everybody! As of noon Saturday (eastern time), our total is 51.6 miles.

Take a look at a map--whatever's 51.6 miles from your home is pretty far away, huh?

Maryn

Melina
04-10-2005, 01:31 PM
April 9 = 1 mi

Melina

Maryn
04-11-2005, 11:33 PM
April 11 = 5.0 miles (partly with a teeny rock in my shoes that I couldn't shake out, only move, grrr....)

Group's total 57.6 miles!

Maryn (Way to go, movers and shakers!)

awatkins
04-12-2005, 12:44 AM
I hope y'all continue this. Walking is my favorite exercise! But I've been horribly sick with a kidney infection for the last few weeks and can't do much walking just now. Kidney infection + diabetes = Not so good.

Anyway, as soon as I'm able, I want to join in, if that's okay. :)

Cabria
04-12-2005, 12:49 AM
Hope you're feeling better soon Anne. I know about kidneys and diabetes not relating so well together. I used to work on a nephrology unit where many of our renal patients were also diabetics. Such a difficulty in stabilizing blood levels in these type situations. Hopefully your kidney infection will clear up soon. Take care.

Debbie :)

awatkins
04-12-2005, 12:52 AM
Thank you, Debbie! I see you understand what I'm talking about! Icky stuff.

As soon as I can, I'm going to be clipping on my pedometer and joining in. :)

ritinrider
04-12-2005, 08:39 PM
Anne, hope you get that kidney infection under control soon. Don't know much about diabetes (I'm learning though), kidney infections are a pain, as I well remember.

Moving wise for me: Took the weekend off. Saturday took off, figured my bones and muscles needed a day off. Sunday was just too lazy to make myself walk or exercise. Monday, April 11 got back on track, walked 1.6 miles. Today, April 12, rode exercise bike 2 miles, did other exercises and will walk this afternoon. I'll wait to post that tomorrow, after I actually walk.

Keep on moving everybody.

Nita

awatkins
04-12-2005, 11:25 PM
Thanks, Nita. I'm feeling cautiously optimistic today, not so much pain or discomfort, don't feel as sick; maybe the meds are finally kicking in. At any rate, I'm hoping to be adding my mileage to the totals soon. :)~ Anne

ChunkyC
04-13-2005, 03:14 AM
Hullo! Thought I'd touch base. Stuck on 221lbs for the moment, but no worries. I still have 'til the end of the month to get to my target of 216lbs.

Anne -- take care of yourself, girl!

Maryn
04-13-2005, 03:26 AM
Anne, whenever your health is up to it, you join right in and we won't consider it a late start at all, just a pleasure to have you along. Meanwhile, I invite you on a vicarious walk, kind of like the way I smoke...

Maryn, who quit in 2000

Maryn
04-13-2005, 03:27 AM
April 12, 3.0 miles for me. This time, no little stone in my shoe--much better!

Maryn

ChunkyC
04-13-2005, 03:29 AM
Sheesh, I posted backwards, weight here and mileage in the svelte thread. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteSmack.gif

Anyway, 2 miles yesterday and again today. Gonna try doing it every day from here on out.

Kudra
04-13-2005, 12:04 PM
I've been avoiding walking for months. Did it back in October, but then got busy and stuff, and just needed a reason to stop exercising. Well, I'm back baby!

And it was 3.0 miles for yesterday. I'm hoping to go again today. :hooray:

Maryn
04-13-2005, 04:44 PM
Subtotal 71.2 miles for the group.

Is a month's goal of 150 reasonable? (Since when have I been reasonable? Hmm...)

Maryn

Kudra
04-13-2005, 10:44 PM
I did go again and walked 2 miles this time. So that's a total of 73.2. 150 sounds good to me. But then, what do I know? I'm just about getting started.

Maryn
04-14-2005, 01:59 AM
Good for you, KitKat! My intentions are good, but my follow-through weak. You followed through!

Maryn

Kudra
04-14-2005, 12:06 PM
My follow-through was pretty weak too, Maryn. But this time I've decided that enough is enough. And with a support group such as this one, I have no excuse left. :Shrug:

I find that getting ready to go is the toughest part. Once I've actually left the house and started walking, I'm always glad I did. Pretty much like going to the gym and working out. You hate the idea of going there, but after a good workout, you're glad you didn't wiggle out.

My legs are hurting though. Not because I overdid it, but because I haven't walked in ages. Just shows how desperate my body is for some form of exercise!

I hope to go again too. Will post the results when I'm back.

Maryn
04-15-2005, 12:03 AM
April 14th, 5.0 miles

That makes our total to date 78.2 miles, pushing us past the half-way mark before the mid-point of the month. Woo-hoo, huh?

Maryn

Kudra
04-15-2005, 01:37 AM
Another 1.2 miles for me. :Jump:

Total: 79.4

Maryn
04-16-2005, 08:42 PM
April 16, 3.0 miles. I would have gone for 5, but my ride couldn't handle it. Miss you ride, and you're talking 10!

Total 82.4

ChunkyC
04-17-2005, 01:54 AM
2 miles on Wednesday and again on Friday, 1 mile today (shorter break at work). Thursday I had a sore back (old herniated disk acting up a tad) so I didn't walk that day. Feeling much better, so tomorrow I'll go for at least 2 miles. Should be sunny out as well, yay!

Maryn
04-17-2005, 05:47 PM
New total 87.4--and I'm going out walking later today to give us another little bit.

Maryn

Maryn
04-17-2005, 08:28 PM
April 17, 5.0 miles, group's total now 92.4 for the month.

Getting into my car, the inside thigh seam of my shorts split. (Thank goodness it didn't happen earlier, huh?) On examining it at home to see if I can fix it, I see that the cloth is just worn through. That's a lot of steps!

Maryn

ritinrider
04-18-2005, 04:01 PM
We are one moving group. Here's my total's for the week, sorry computer, and brain, on the fritz haven't posted before now.

April 12 - 1.6 miles
April 13 - 2 miles on exercise bike
April 14 - 1.6
April 15 - 1 mile (should've walked again when I got home, that was an easy arount the track walk with Jen in town.)
April 17 - 1.6 (a little more, but not sure how much, so will go with the smaller amount)

total for the week for me= 7.8 Whoo-hoo. This week I'll up my milage to 1.8 or 2 miles.

Maryn - does that put us at 100.2 miles?

Nita

Maryn
04-18-2005, 04:14 PM
I'm duly impressed with us all--we did break 100 miles thanks to Nita! And look how often she's getting out there and doing it, too.

Maybe later today I'll give my one pair of new running shorts (which I won't run in, although I suppose if something was chasing me I'd give it a shot) a short break-in walk, just in the neighborhood. Everybody's daffodils are in bloom--mine were the last to open, I think--and it's a pleasure to see that spring is actually here.

Maryn

Melina
04-18-2005, 06:31 PM
Haven't posted in here since the 9th. I've logged about 8 miles since then.

Glad you are all keeping it going!

Melina

awatkins
04-18-2005, 06:57 PM
You guys are doing great. Keep up the good work!

I'm beginning to get really discouraged. Felt better over the weekend, but had a busy schedule. I tried to pace myself and thought all was okay until late yesterday afternoon. Then the kidney pains came back, started aching again, blech. Don't want any more meds, don't want to go to the doctor, I just want to start walking with you guys. And I will! But just not as soon as I had hoped. *sigh*

Maryn
04-18-2005, 07:13 PM
Oh, bummer! Listen, my favorite walking place is still all mud and bare branches (plus the paved path--I ain't stupid!), so you're not missing anything terrific yet, Anne.

How about I look for you when the trees have a lot of small leaves and look like they're going to flower soon? You don't want to miss that, but it's still a ways away.

(This year, I'm going to tote a camera and get a picture when all the trees along the section between the 1.0 and 1.5 mile markers are blooming. <----I say that every year, though.)

Maryn

ChunkyC
04-18-2005, 07:38 PM
It snowed here over the weekend, so much for a sunny Sunday. I managed to do 1 mile on Saturday and another 1.5 on Sunday.

ritinrider
04-19-2005, 12:30 AM
But Maryn, this year you can take the pictures and post them here to share with us.

Anne, hope you get better real soon. In the meantime you can read this thread and imagine yourself walking with us.

CC - Yuk on the snow. That's one reason we don't live any further north than we do. Yeah there are other reasons, but my husband and I really aren't snow birds at all.

Maryn - it really doesn't take too long to take my walk, and now it's almost a habit. After I'm up to walking 2 1/2 miles, (that's how far it is to the curve in the road) I'll start working on walking faster. Read somewhere we should be able to walk a mile in 15 min. Yeah right. For today though, I'll just increase my distance.

Good luck everyone. Time for my walk.

Nita

Maryn
04-19-2005, 08:06 PM
April 19, 5.0 miles. Nearly everybody was crabby and refused to respond to "Morning!" (what grouches, huh?) but I did see my 'friend' from last year (conversation in 15-second snatches) and exchange pleasantries as we passed.

Maryn, who's lost track of our total

ritinrider
04-20-2005, 05:58 AM
Yesterday 1.8, today 2 miles whoo-hoo. Of course it took me 50 minutes to walk it but I did it! Tomorrow isn't looking too promising, have to go to an all day seminar and it's supposed to storm. Of course after a day of sitting, either listening or driving, I will need to move. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and I can walk when I get home. If not it'll be the old exercise bike for me - yuk.

Maryn - I think we're at 109.5 miles, only 48.5 more to go to reach your goal. Eleven days to go, do we need to enlist some other poster or get busy ourselves, or will we make it? Let's get Melina back in here, she bumps us several miles each time she reports in.

Nita

Maryn
04-20-2005, 04:35 PM
I should share--I got the nicest compliment from Mr. Maryn, who is not one to hand them out. (Usually I have to say, "Do I look all right?" to get back "You look fine," often delivered without actually looking at me!)

We went to an Italian restaurant to celebrate the anniversary of the day we first, uh, became intimate, and we were talking about how we've changed physically since then. I told him that although his hair had gone grey (how tactful--it's practically snowy since he was ill ten years ago), he was in much better shape than most men his age.

He replied that although I've got silver streaks at the temples, since I started exercising again I look pretty much like I did when we met, even nekkid. That's not true, but I think he does actually see an improvement. Maybe I do, too!

If we all keep this up, at whatever level or speed we can, I think we'll all see an improvement, don't you?

Maryn

tjwriter
04-20-2005, 08:14 PM
I logged 2 miles yesterday, and did it in decent time considering people stopped me twice to talk to me. I live in a small town, and you know how that goes. Kinda reminds me of Mayberry in a way.

To get back to topic, I thoroughly stretched afterwards, and I wasn't sore when I woke up this morning. It felt really good to be in the park with the trees, and the breeze. Not to mention the sun and the shade. Overall, I think I should just keep going.

Maryn
04-21-2005, 07:49 PM
tjwriter, that's great. Being sore can totally sidetrack the best intentions.

It's fairly amazing (to me, but I'm easily amazed, apparently) how much easier it is to walk outside. Indoors, even in a set-up where I might have music or even TV, meh!

Today it's cold again, low 40s, but sunny, and I got in my 5.0 miles before 11:00. That puts the group's total at (drumroll, please)...

116.5 miles!

ritinrider
04-22-2005, 04:03 PM
We are now at 118.5 miles, I walked my 2 yesterday. Thanks to this board, I had been working on writing and quilting all day and almost forgot. Came here, saw this thread, went:Smack: Duh! you forgot something silly. Had been walking so regular I thought it was a habit. Skip one day, and my mind goes to mush.

Oh, btw, it only took me uh, 50 minutes to walk that 2 miles. That's 25 minutes a mile, gotta step it up to do 1 mile in 15 min.

Okay gang, that leaves us 8 days to go 31.5 miles and reach Maryn's goal. That's only, wait a sec., tha'ts just 3.9 miles a day. We can do that. Let's go.

Nita

BlueTexas
04-22-2005, 05:10 PM
I finally found a new walking buddy (Sometimes I need to be forced!), so I'm walking regularly again. So far this week--3.5 miles.

Maryn
04-22-2005, 06:29 PM
I make that 122.0 miles so far--and I'm 'suited up' so I won't weasel out later on today.

Maryn

ChunkyC
04-23-2005, 02:35 AM
Man, I binbizzy! But I did my 2 miles 3 out of the last 4 days, and plan to do 2 more today ... right about now, actually. Anybody coming?

Maryn
04-23-2005, 08:19 PM
Sheesh, somehow I managed to weasel out anyway--it was raining and god forbid I get wet!

Even with my shameful record, with ChunkyC's additional 6 miles we stand at 128.0 for the month. (When he gets back, it'll go up!)

Maryn

Maryn
04-24-2005, 10:40 PM
April 24th, 5.0 miles, putting the group's number at 133.0. Gosh, I hope Chunky survived the walk!

Maryn, who came home cold and nose-drippy

ritinrider
04-26-2005, 03:31 AM
April 25, moved the group's goal up to 137. Hate that exercise bike, did 4 miles on it this morning before going to work. But it is good for the group's milage goal.

Next. Hey, where's Chuck? He didn't get lost going on that last walk did he?

Nita

ChunkyC
04-26-2005, 08:11 PM
Boy, that was a LONG one! Just kidding. Had a busy, busy weekend. I did get in 2 miles on Friday, and 2.5 miles yesterday. Where does that put us?

+ 4.5
= 141.5

Kewl!

Maryn
04-26-2005, 11:33 PM
Ooh, do you all see how close we are to our goal?

Uh, is that 8.5 to go? (I'm lost without a calculator!)

Maryn

Maryn
04-27-2005, 03:57 AM
April 26, 3.3 miles, putting us at 144.8 miles.

If one person would give us a 10K, we'd be there!

Maryn

tjwriter
04-27-2005, 10:29 PM
Mark me for another 2 miles. If the weather stays decent later, perhaps two more.

awatkins
04-27-2005, 11:48 PM
Yay! I actually walked a half mile today! Don't think this will count toward the mileage, but I wanted to let you know that I'm working on getting to it! I'm still having to be so careful, but I'm just about ready to start walking with you guys.

Thanks for all the encouraging words when I was sick. :)

ritinrider
04-28-2005, 04:07 AM
Oops, forgot to mention the 1 1/2 -2 mile hike I took with the kids. Better just put me down for 1 mile to be safe.

Anne, why not count your 1/2 mile? You accomplished it, and btw, congrats on beating the sick bug.

Nita

Maryn
04-29-2005, 01:27 AM
Hokay, let's do some simple arithmetic. I'm counting all the miles, short, estimated with the kids in tow, all of it. (If you have young kids, you log plenty already.)

144.8 + 2.0 + 0.5 + 1.5 = 148.8 miles

My walk today was shortened by a thunderstorm that the weather man didn't know about, apparently. I got to spend about a half hour under a bridge with other exercisers smart enough not to run or walk while there was lightning.

Add 3.0 for me 4/28 and we did it! 151.8!

Maryn
05-01-2005, 02:00 AM
Probably the last entry for the month.

April 30, 2.5, group total 154.3 miles.

Way to go, everyone! Now, promise yourself--and mean it--that in May you will equal or pass your April mileage.

Maryn