Hey, how far do you think writers tend to get before quitting?

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I just had a thought. I've written 32,000 words so far. But others say that's a great achievement compared to others who quit. To be honest, it's a big surprise. But for some reason I'm curious to know how far to wannabe writers get before they quit the book before finishing?

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I would think that would be an impossible question to answer. Those who quit (outside of this 20,000+ membership) aren't likely to advertise the fact and I know of no groups that have polled all wannabe writers to find out.

rainyman

Registered
Reaction score
The key to the answer of this question is in the word "wannabe." The writer won't quit until he writes the last word of the manuscript: "End." The wannabe will quit at any point between the first page and the last. cf

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
The key to the answer of this question is in the word "wannabe." The writer won't quit until he writes the last word of the manuscript: "End." The wannabe will quit at any point between the first page and the last. cf

Have to disagree. It depends on the story as well. To me it doesn't make me a wannabe to know that the manuscript isn't working in its present form and to set it aside. When I do that it's on the understanding that I might never pick it up again if I don't get any idea how to make it work. When that happens I am still writing, but move onto a different project instead. Not everything you write will turn into gold. There are always 'false starts'. Sometimes you can use elements of abandoned MSs, (which is why I never delete anything permenantly) but sometimes you just have to admit that it's not viable.

As for 'when you quit', I agree that it depends on the writer and the project, so it'd be pretty impossible to produce a definite answer (however you want to interpret the word 'wannabe'). Me personally, I always have to fight a bit harder at around 40-45K as that's when I find it gets harder to stick with it. Since I've noticed that tendency though it's easier to look at the MS and see why it might be, if my 'middles' need more action or I need a different approach to chapters or the likes.

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
I agree; there seems no "right" answer to this question. The factors leading to completion or abandonment of a ms are too many to categorize a norm.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I just had a thought. I've written 32,000 words so far. But others say that's a great achievement compared to others who quit. To be honest, it's a big surprise. But for some reason I'm curious to know how far to wannabe writers get before they quit the book before finishing?
I suspect you're thinking of the people who have loads of ideas and make a bunch of false starts, never getting much past the first or second chapter. My brother is one of them. :DHe started a really great suspense story but stalled at chapter 3 when he ran out of ideas. It's been sitting in a drawer for quite a few years now and he never tried to write anything again. A lot of people love the idea of being a writer. It seems romantic and something easily done because of all the terrific ideas they have swirling around in their heads. Once they begin to write though, they find out it's not as easy as they thought it would be and they quit.
Linnea

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Maybe it's the way you're phrasing your question?

If you'd asked something like, "To those who started writing a novel but didn't finish it... how far did you get before you quit? Why did you quit? And do you think you'll ever go back to it again?" -- then maybe you'd get interesting answers.

-Derek

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I suspect you're thinking of the people who have loads of ideas and make a bunch of false starts, never getting much past the first or second chapter. My brother is one of them. :DHe started a really great suspense story but stalled at chapter 3 when he ran out of ideas. It's been sitting in a drawer for quite a few years now and he never tried to write anything again. A lot of people love the idea of being a writer. It seems romantic and something easily done because of all the terrific ideas they have swirling around in their heads. Once they begin to write though, they find out it's not as easy as they thought it would be and they quit.
Linnea

Again though having loads of ideas and a lot of false starts doesn't necessarily make the writer a 'wannabe' as opposed to a serious writer. Some people, myself included, just tend to work more that way. Quite often I'll get six or seven novel ideas, not including little ones for existing WIPs, in the one day, and once I finish a WIP I quite often have a period of false starts before I find one that takes me in again. Yet I've been writing for as long as I can remember and haven't quit yet.

I think since every writer is different and will have different strengths, techniques or preferences, assigning particular characteristics or working methods to the label 'wannabe' is potentially insulting to a few people.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.

I have a problem with the use of the word wannabe. 32,000 words is definitely beyond being a 'wannabe'. Define perhaps what a writer is verses what a wannabe is and maybe it'd be easier to answer. :)

just a suggestion ;)

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
But for some reason I'm curious to know how far to wannabe writers get before they quit the book before finishing?

WHAT???

I'm sorry, I'm a little rusty on gibberish. Could you rephrase the question?

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Writers do not quit. Hobbyists and people who wish to prove their erudition but are impatient with the writing process quit.

If you don't quit, then you're a writer. If you do quit, you're a wannabe writer. Period. Quit asking silly questions, put your butt in the chair, and go back to writing. Don't let all of these questions distract you so much, because no one here wants to see you turn into a 'wannabe' because you're distracted by the internet and/or your need to ask these things.

And congrats on 32k. Good job! Do that twice more and you have a novel.

Good luck. :)

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
WHAT???

I'm sorry, I'm a little rusty on gibberish. Could you rephrase the question?

"To those who started writing a novel but didn't finish it... how far did you get before you quit? Why did you quit? And do you think you'll ever go back to it again?"

Can I make a new thread, since not many people understand?

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
huh. I always thought wannabe is just another name for poser. So in my estimation. However, humble it might be, the person who writes, no matter how consistent is a writer. Not everyone seeks publication and not everyone who seeks publication gets published.

A writer is someone who. writes.

A wannabe is someone who pretends to write so they can talk about it and get a lot of attention.

So in other words, 32 k ...good job! Your showing how serious you are about your work. Good job. :) Keep it up.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
32,001 words, exactly. FACT.