Not open for further replies.

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
What I mean is do you dream about your characters, or dream scenes, or solutions to story issues?

I've started a new project, sprung from an old idea, about a soldier. The book is touching very deeply on post traumatic stress syndrome, something that I've recently (last several months) had to deal with for the first time in my life. Tons of research, reading books on Vietnam and the Gulf Wars, and speaking in depth about experiences and PTSD with a couple of veterans, one that's mine.

Lately I've noticed my dreams have turned to war and are so vivid they're waking me up or keeping me up. I feel almost haunted by this story.

Anyone else live their stories at night? I'm not sure I'm very happy about my mind continuing to write after I close my eyes.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I dream my stories, or sometimes my characters are the people in my dreams not about their stories, but I know who they are and such.

What's interesting on waking is that often my brain has "cast" some actor as my character who's totally unlike how I imagined him or her. This must be what screenwriters experience all the time, but it's kind of nerve-wracking for a novelist.

Maryn, who woke up the other morning thinking, Ted Danson?

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I don't do a lot of fiction writing, but I have dreamed short story ideas for the little that I do. Once I start writing the story, I don't dream about it again.

Sometimes when I am deeply embroiled in a non-fiction piece, I will dream about it. I don't dream about the content, but rather the actual writing of the piece.

justme

Well butter my biscuit!
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. I dream my stories. I wake up with ideas all the time and then write them down.

Riley

They won't let me be good
Registered
Reaction score
I'm jealous. You lucky guys get to dream! The medicines I take pretty much knock me right out of Dreamland, or at least Lucid Dreamland.

Your subconscious is talking to you. Kind of neat, but scary at the same time. Isn't anyone here ever unnerved waking up from a dream about their own stories?

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
I would like to dream more of my story and my characters, but it doesn't happen often. Once I did come up with something that helped with the plot of an as yet unwritten sequel. More often I get story ideas from dreams that I do not want to pursue. Most of my dreams are pretty trivial, and frequently computer oriented (It's reading my mind, she muttered paranoidly). On the other hand, I have found some of my dream experiences useful in describing characters' dreams.

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
What I mean is do you dream about your characters, or dream scenes, or solutions to story issues?

I've started a new project, sprung from an old idea, about a soldier. The book is touching very deeply on post traumatic stress syndrome, something that I've recently (last several months) had to deal with for the first time in my life. Tons of research, reading books on Vietnam and the Gulf Wars, and speaking in depth about experiences and PTSD with a couple of veterans, one that's mine.

Lately I've noticed my dreams have turned to war and are so vivid they're waking me up or keeping me up. I feel almost haunted by this story.

Anyone else live their stories at night? I'm not sure I'm very happy about my mind continuing to write after I close my eyes.

I can't say I dream about my long fiction. But I have had poems wake me up, fully formed, so much so that I had to get up and write them down. I know what you mean about your mind continuing to write. It's sometimes as if my brain can't let something go, even if I'm physically tired. It just keeps on clipping along until it hits on the right wording then gives me a good punch in the cerebellum, and boom! I'm awake.

AuthorGuy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.marcvunkannon.com
I originally came up with my first novel from some dreams I had, which is unusual since I don't have a conscious memory of my dreams most of the time. I have often had story line problems that I work out in my sleep, and I wake up knowing where to go, but again I don't remember working them out, they're just there in the morning. I use a similar technique when awake, by putting a story in the back of my head and letting it work itself out while I drive.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I dream per se about stories and characters, but I often drift off while working out solutions.

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
My dreams are loony and not worth the brain cells they're printed on.

JacobWorld

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Website
jacobworldireland.spaces.live.com
Hello

I have to say I have this dream.
I am on my pleasure Island with my friends and some of the characters from the books I read . They change all the time . Sometimes they are good but sometimes I get nightmares .
The pleasure island turns into a nightmare island

Status
Not open for further replies.