PDA

View Full Version : How to find time to write, by Autodidact.

Autodidact
03-29-2008, 07:59 AM
You just let your housework go all to hell. You're welcome.

DamaNegra
03-29-2008, 08:06 AM
What if homework is what's keeping me from writing? Do I let my career go to hell and send all the money being wasted on tuiton to the garbage?

JamieFord
03-29-2008, 08:52 AM
Selling your TV also works. (So I hear...)

bluntforcetrauma
03-29-2008, 08:53 AM
Wake up earlier to go to bed later.

bunnygirl
03-29-2008, 09:33 AM
1. Don't watch TV.
2. Don't go to movies or rent them.
3. Don't have kids.

In all seriousness, though, you can have anything you want but not everything you want. There are only so many hours in a day and no matter how much you may wish for it, no one will hand you any more. If you want more time for something, you have to give up something else. Luckily, a lot of what popular culture says matters, doesn't. Not really.

Few people, if any, will die wishing they had watched more American Idol, but I bet there are a lot of folks who will reach the end of life wishing they had made the time to take up watercolors, learn the tango, or write a novel.

bluntforcetrauma
03-29-2008, 10:21 AM
Signing up for tango lessons tomorrow.

Mumut
03-29-2008, 11:11 AM
In find I write better after I have completed the unavoidable chores. I make a list of what needs to be done in the week, apart from the usual housework, then any writing time is a bonus.

JeanneTGC
03-29-2008, 11:29 AM
I'm with Bunny and Blunt -- turn off the TV and keep it off. Amazing the hours you get back which you can fill with chores, homework, work and writing. Also, getting up earlier and/or staying up later gives you even MORE hours.

You have to prioritize what's important to you and give the top priorities more time. Simple, not necessarily easy, but doable for all.

dreamsofnever
03-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Love the suggestion, Auto! Indeed, when I'm really into writing, the cleanliness of my house takes the brunt of the blow for that.

inkkognito
03-30-2008, 12:12 AM
Stay off the internet. (Ink speaks with forked tongue.)

DamaNegra
03-30-2008, 12:32 AM
Stay off the internet. (Ink speaks with forked tongue.)
Heresy!

Riley
03-30-2008, 03:19 AM
Heh, better:

No internet.

I'm supposed to be writing now but. . . AW, it is so SHI-I-I-NY!

I remember, once, when my internet was down (oh, the horrible three days), I managed to write over ten thousand words. It was vacation time and I had nothing else to do without the internet.

Know what? I'm getting off right now so I can write. Shutting the compy off and everything. You guys are real inspiration. Thanks! (*Insert creepy emoticons of dubious meaning and origin here*)

mada
03-30-2008, 07:40 AM

Here I thought I was going to get some sage advice! I've let the housework go to hell and still have issues finding time to write!

I can say that if you have a child who is old enough to bathe by themselves and you don't have to hold them while they play, taking the laptop into the bathroom is great! Just be sure you're out of harm's way if "tidal waves" are a common occurrence in your tub!

Exir
03-30-2008, 08:12 AM
Easy - carry the notebook with you at all times. I'm a busy middle school student, what with doing all the IGCSEs, but I always manage to squeeze out one hour of time just by having a notebook with me and jotting around for ten minutes when waiting in line for lunch, on the school bus, during break, when taking care of my sisters, etc.

JustJess
03-30-2008, 08:14 AM
3. Don't have kids.

Ah crap-now you tell me! About 13yrs too late...Right now I should be writing but am instead rocking my 4mo's carseat with my foot, in order to keep him asleep...I've been doing this for over 2hrs (actually every 20min or so I get to stand up and pace with him when he wakes and cries)

mada
03-30-2008, 08:23 AM
1. Don't watch TV.
2. Don't go to movies or rent them.
3. Don't have kids.

In all seriousness, though, you can have anything you want but not everything you want. There are only so many hours in a day and no matter how much you may wish for it, no one will hand you any more. If you want more time for something, you have to give up something else. Luckily, a lot of what popular culture says matters, doesn't. Not really.

Few people, if any, will die wishing they had watched more American Idol, but I bet there are a lot of folks who will reach the end of life wishing they had made the time to take up watercolors, learn the tango, or write a novel.

This is truly excellent advice. Granted, you're late on #3, but I have noticed that when I don't turn on the TV while I fold laundry or make dinner, I don't turn it on after. That gives me time to catch up on my reading and writing.

Mr Flibble
03-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Housework? What's that?

Robin Bayne
03-30-2008, 09:24 PM
Teach the family to cook for themselves. You don't pay get up unless the smoke alarm goes off.

inkkognito
03-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Housework? What's that?
Amen to that. If the house is in decent enough shape not to be condemned by the health dept., that works for me.

(Alternately, marry a man who doesn't mind household duties. Mine cooks, washes dishes, does the laundry, makes beds, and vaccums, but I just can't get him to do litter boxes...oh, well, no one's perfect.)

mada
03-31-2008, 03:58 AM
(Alternately, marry a man who doesn't mind household duties. Mine cooks, washes dishes, does the laundry, makes beds, and vaccums, but I just can't get him to do litter boxes...oh, well, no one's perfect.)

Does he have a brother? I'm thinking my husband may be broken and it's time to look at a newer model! (I'm kidding, kind of!)

inkkognito
03-31-2008, 04:26 AM
He has a twin, but unfortunately it's an evil one (unemployed and I've lost count of how many kids he's fathered).

mada
03-31-2008, 05:12 AM
He has a twin, but unfortunately it's an evil one (unemployed and I've lost count of how many kids he's fathered).

Thanks, but I'll pass! He's even more broken than mine!!

ACEnders
03-31-2008, 06:28 AM
The TV doesn't bother me at all. I have to have it on..or the music. The internet sometimes is a hinderance.

But I get most of my writing done at work. The beauty of being a good admin. assistant - lots of downtime.

Lyra Jean
03-31-2008, 09:42 AM
okay this thread convinced me I just need to get off my lazy ass and get my goals accomplished.

After all my new desk has not been put together yet. It's been in the box for a little over a year.

Willowmound
03-31-2008, 03:47 PM
Wake up earlier to go to bed later.

Just wake up earlier.

Phaeal
03-31-2008, 05:21 PM
Live simply, so you don't have to work a demanding day job.

No kids? Well, it does help a lot, but some of you have to reproduce to keep the species going, and good writers reproducing will keep up the intellect/imagination level in the gene pool. :)

Mod35tBabe
04-02-2008, 04:44 PM
Heh, better:
I remember, once, when my internet was down (oh, the horrible three days), I managed to write over ten thousand words. It was vacation time and I had nothing else to do without the internet.

I once had the power cut off at my house while they... I dunno replaced the pole or something... anyway it was the first day of Nanowrimo so I took my laptop (bad battery, lasts approx 6 mins) to my aunt's and wrote 7000 words in 4 hours. There was no internet, no animals, no tv, no people because my aunt lives alone and had an appointment that took up most of the 4 hours - I'd never written 7000 in such a short time before, nor have I since. However I find it much easier because I knew there was no internet to distract myself with - at home I know it's there so I use it and I doubt unplugging it would work because I just bet I'd go "ooh better research that, better logon and go to google" and be distracted for the next hour.

Jenan Mac
04-07-2008, 05:00 AM
Live simply, so you don't have to work a demanding day job.

No kids? Well, it does help a lot, but some of you have to reproduce to keep the species going, and good writers reproducing will keep up the intellect/imagination level in the gene pool. :)

There we go-- that's my excuse for the four kids: Literacy Eugenics. I knew there had to be some reason for them.:D

steveg144
04-08-2008, 10:28 PM

Bah. Ship your wife off to Cozumel for a week for her birthday present. Lock the cats in the outside storage room. Take a bat to the wireless router so your laptop can't get to the internet (also known as "the black hole that consumes a writer's time"). Pour yourself a stiff Maker's Mark and water. Right, you're all set. Get to work!

steveg144
04-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Just wake up earlier.

True fact. I worked on a disastrous, large-scale software project back in my youth. Things were so bad that they hung a big banner (made from a bedsheet, with the words written in what appeared to be iodine) over the entrance to the campus cafeteria. The sign read:

SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK

Words to live by. And maybe die by, but at least you will have truly lived first.