Second Life and Autism

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
I thought this was a pretty neat article. It talks about using the virtual world of "Second Life" as a place for people with autism to practice social interaction in a safe environment. I know we have several members here at AW with autistic relatives so I was wondering if this is an exercise they'd considered.

David Savill, 22, lives in Gloucester, England, in real life and created this spot within the virtual world of Second Life. Residents of this digital realm can represent themselves with 3-D images called avatars and connect with each other over the Internet.

Savill, who represents himself in the virtual world using an avatar named Dave Sparrow, said one benefit is that visitors can practice social interaction and find information about the condition. The graphical representations of real people create a "comfort zone" that can coax users out of their shells and get them communicating with others, he said.

"You're on your own computer, in your own room, your own space," Savill said. "So you're not going out into the real world meeting people, you're going meeting people online and in your own home, so you're perfectly relaxed. It's just a fantastic tool to use to bring people together."

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Trey. Seen this before, but unfortunately, MY Trey is only, well...trey years old. Mwhahahahaha!

But it's a neat concept. Right now, we're working on the potty thing. We had a successful attempt yesterday! Woooo!