When do you celebrate?

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
When you get a request for full? When you get a contract offer? When you sign the contract? When you receive the advance? When you get comp copies? All of the above?

I'm going for "when the contract gets countersigned", but in the meanwhile I'm doing a little hop and skip over an unofficial acceptance of the changes I proposed to the offered contract.

This is a new publisher for me, so I'm doubly happy. Expanding work experience is good street cred.

I thought 2007 was going to be the big year for me, but it looks like, if all goes according to plan, I could have 4-5 titles hit the shelves in 2008.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
:partyguy:
*celebrates for Lloyd*

I celebrated when I got an agent. My next celebration will be when I have a signed publication contract.

Stocking up on booze and munchie recipes whole I wait. :)

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
I keep trying to figure that out myself--when is it "real"?

But gosh, you have already published,it sounds like, and may have 4 books next year?? Seems you are on safe ground to celebrate, since you know it is for real. Congratulations!

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
I say writers should celebrate at each milestone they consider significant. I celebrated like crazy recently when I received two offers from agents, again when I actually decided who to sign with, and am planning to celebrate even more once I sign the agency agreement and they countersign it. My agent emailed me today to let me know she'd put it in the mail so now I'll be keeping an eye out for it so the celebrating can start all over again.

Of course, I'm sure the biggest celebration will occur when I sign that first publishing contract.

Wishing that celebration for all of us! =)

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
But gosh, you have already published,it sounds like, and may have 4 books next year?? Seems you are on safe ground to celebrate, since you know it is for real. Congratulations!

Two are already out. One has a submission deadline by the end of the month (!). and this one I'm signing for right now is slated for August, if possible. I have several manuscripts I need to prioritize for my next project, and if I get that done, sold and submitted very, very soon, the number for the year could be 5.

That's one nice thing about the small pubs. They can work faster than places like Tor.

cate townsend

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a lot to celebrate, Lloyd. Break out your favorite vice and let loose.

I celebrated yesterday when my local police department waived a $100 parking ticket I had. I also celebrate the days when there are none of my SASEs in the mailbox.

It's the little things.

Chicken Warrior

Ahead of Your Time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teenebooks.com
Celebrate all the time! Why not?

I think I'd celebrate most when I walked into a bookstore and saw my own book there, honestly. But my idea of celebrating would be like...I don't know, buying a copy at full price or something (which doesn't make sense economically, I know). Heh, I'm kind of lame.

Prevostprincess

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.queenoftheroadthebook.com
Lloyd - Sure sounds like you got LOTS to celebrate to me!

I celebrated (after I cried - I'm not a crier but it was looooong road, so please understand) when I got an agent. Then, I celebrated (Ok, Ok. I admit it. I cried again. Geez.) when we got a publisher.

And... Chicken Warrior - it kind of amazes me, but I have not even THOUGHT about that moment, yet. I guess it still doesn't seem real. Thanks so much for mentioning it. Now I've got something - a specific something on a specific date - to look forward to and plan on.

Susan, have you even thought about that??? If not, we're both shrinks - what's with us, anyway?

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Celebrate every morning if you wake up and the zombies didn't eat your brains while you were sleeping.

Obviously.

rachel.moore.hawkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
readingwritingrachel.blogspot.com
Awesome, Lloyd! I'm a big fan of the celebration, so my family celebrated when the first draft was finished of the first book I ever wrote, we celebrated my first full request, and we celebrated me getting an agent. We plan on celebrating when the book goes on submission, and, obviously, when someone buys the damn thing. Now, that doesn't mean we go out for a 5 star dinner or anything, but a nice lunch out or a bottle of wine...or both... is pretty celebratory for us!

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
I guess it still doesn't seem real. Thanks so much for mentioning it. Now I've got something - a specific something on a specific date - to look forward to and plan on.

Susan, have you even thought about that??? If not, we're both shrinks - what's with us, anyway?

Well, you know the shrink defense: endless analysis of the deeper meanings while you have to kind of stumble over the thing right in your path :)

Yes, it would be cool to go into a bookstore and see my own book! Right now, though, I am in limbo since we are facing the possibility of a move in a few months (husband looking for work) so I alternative between massive denial and panic.

So yes, I've been picturing my local independent bookstore, already planning to promote myself as a local author in the SF Bay Area--but now I might end up in New York when the book comes out. Not the worst place to be for a writer, but there is a local aspect to my story that I would lose.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
The two times I celebrated (so far) were when the publisher made the offer and when I first put an ARC of my book on my bookshelf.

Gray Rose

Beware of the Thorns!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
roselemberg.net
I haven't yet queried, but I don't think I'd ever celebrate. :D

Event-------------------Voice in my head
query-------------------"I am sure it will be rejected"
partial request-----------"but it will not lead to a full"
full request--------------"but it won't get me an agent"
offer of representation---"the book will not sell to the publishing houses"
offer from an editor------"the book is crap, why are you buying this?"
the book is out----------"OMG, the reviews. The truth is gonna come out any day now"
reviews are good--------"but I will never get a Hugo"
book wins Hugo ballot----"My mother will only be satisfied with the Nobel prize"

You see? Why celebrate when it is so much more fun to kvetch? :roll:

JoeEkaitis

Certified Gray Haired Geek
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagi
Every library that acquires Collinsfort Village is a reason to celebrate because it's a victory over policies and practices that keep books from small and independent publishers out of public libraries.

NovelistByNight

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I set little goals for myself. I'm not ready to submit anything yet, so my goals are set in time increments or chapter increments. I reward myself with something little for every X amount of time/words. Usually, it's an iTune or for a bigger accomplishment, a new book. Gosh, I love the smell of Borders. :)

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
Congrats Lloyd!

I slowed down and tried to enjoy each moment. That first request for the full, that first offer from an agent, signing, the auction, etc.

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
:PartySmil:PartySmil

Congrats, Loyd. We think it's time for you to celebrate.

I recently had my dream agent reject my middle grade novel after requesting the full. His assistant said that he loved the story and characters, but thought the dialogue was a bit contrived in places.

I fell all the way to cloud 1. But then I emailed the assistant and asked if they'd give the new and improved revision another read if the characters promised that there'd be no more contrived dialogue and she said they'd be happy to. Back up to cloud 9.

Now I just have to figure out what she means by "contrived dialogue."