to give or not to give information . . . ?

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
So, here's the basic problem: As I get feedback on my WIP, I find that people who know certian heistorical facts will misinterpret where the story is going becasue of histoical "clues" that lead them to think the wrong things. On the other hand, a certain amount of knowledge on the subject helps the story make more sense.

Here's the specifics: (A few of you might have read some of it when I posted it over in the sharing forum.) I am writing a story about the "Comtesse" de La Motte, who was from an obscure, bastard, impoverished branch of the Valois family. She really is not royalty in any sense of the word, and is in fact a conniving thief and a bit, well, loose. She tries to capitalize on her Valois heritage by making sure everyone knows about it. Here's the thing: for the reader to understand this, they have to know that "Valois" was a French royal house that petered out (many do not). However, if a reader knows that (which I assume a lot of historical fiction readers would) it seems to lead them to believe that the "Comtesse" is more important, well-bred, and respectable than she is. I try to make it clear at several points that she is a very distant relative of the king (something like fourth of fifth cousin and from the bastard line no less), but it still seems to lead people astray...

So, I need to balance those who don't know enough to understand what's going on and those who know enough to be misled by their knowledge...

Any suggestions? And please let me know if I wasn't clear, haha.

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
I am writing a story about the "Comtesse" de La Motte, who was from an obscure, bastard, impoverished branch of the Valois family. She really is not royalty in any sense of the word, and is in fact a conniving thief and a bit, well, loose. She tries to capitalize on her Valois heritage by making sure everyone knows about it.
That seemed to sum it up perfectly. Can you have another character say or think something along the lines of this paragraph near the beginning? If so, I think that would put a stop leading any reader astray, historian or not.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
The character doesn't have to be likable, thinking of Hannibal Lector, but the person does have to keep the reader's interest. Make your MC with flaws and strengths, goals and foibles-keep up the drama of what's going to happen next, and it won't matter if they are royalty or pretenders.

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.donaldmichaelplatt.com
If you are going to add an Author's or Historical Note at the beginnig, you might include a sentence or two identifying the Valois dynasty so you do not have to do it except through showing in the novel.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I agree with storygirl. The information can easily be introduced by another character. With great disdain a real nobleman/woman can say this woman CLAIMS to be...(give her side of the story) but is ACTUALLY (give the real facts). If it's a whispered conversation between two people just out of her earshot it would make a nice scene. While they're laughing and whispering and casting knowing looks in her direction, she can be frustrated and dying to know what they're talking about.
Linnea

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Wow, there seems to be a split in opinions. I'm going to have to mull this over...a note at the beginning may seem a little heavy-handed. But, as I also have to deal with changing names/titles, I might make a list of characters that gives the information to the reader.

And I have to say, I'm half of a mind to leave anyone who doesn't know the name Valois to their own devices, because frankly I think people should know that word, lol. But then I'm lame and I probably knew that word in middle school from reading about the wars of the roses (Catherine of Valois, you know). Then again, that isn't very charitable of me, is it?

Diviner

Registered
Reaction score
In Tess of the d'Urbervilles, Hardy tells of Tess Darbyfield's distant relationship with a noble family. You might want to take a look at that. It's just narrative, but amusing, and occurs in the first chapter.