Quelle horreur! My work doesn't give me warm fuzzies.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I can't tell if you're promoting Prudence or merely sharing the letter she received. Or are you "Deterred in the District?" Man, I'm confused, but that shouldn't surprise anyone.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Un-freaking-believable. That letter writer is a college grad? What the heck are they teaching in colleges now? Certainly not work ethic or common sense.

1. Law firms are filled with lawyers. Ergo, don't expect it to be a warm and fuzzy environment.

2. Leaving off the "NW" in an address is not a "simple mistake," as anyone who's spent any time in DC knows.

3. If the letter writer hopes to go to law school, he/she better quit whining because he/she will have to learn even more nit-picky things (e.g., "L.L.C." and "LLC" are not interchangeable).

Please tell me that not all 20-somethings are like this.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I'm merely sharing the letter she received, because it made my head explode.
Ah, thanks for clarifying. The letter didn't exactly cause my head to explode, but I felt an intense pressure along the temples. Then I started thinking you might actually be Prudence herself! That made me dizzy. :)

blueobsidian

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersblocks.blogspot.com
Please tell me that not all 20-somethings are like this.

Not all 20-somethings are like this. My head almost exploded reading that letter too (and the one after, where the person wanted to ask their parents to help pay back their loans).

I have a very similar boss. She demands perfection and rarely gives praise. But my coworkers and I (all mid-20s) are well aware that she isn't there to hold our hands and reassure us. She's there to manage the business and make sure our product is as perfect as possible. For me, the rarity of compliments just makes them more powerful when she gives them. I know I did a truly great job.

I hate the 20-somethings out there who act like that. They're just spoiled and need some lessons in how the world works.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...I hate the 20-somethings out there who act like that. They're just spoiled and need some lessons in how the world works.
This is true; and when they do indeed discover how the "real" world works, away from parents and other enabling influences, they'll find out soon enough how things work for sure.

For the longest time, I used to think I was short-changed, being married young and having children early on. I went to college and worked two jobs and took a full load of courses. It was hard, but not any more difficult than what I see parents enduring every day to supply their children with the basic needs for survival.

I went bankrupt sending my two oldest children to college. But that's what you do as parents if you have to, you know? They're successful now in their own endeavors, and that's what matters the most.

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
I really think this has nothing to do with college but the entire school system. They promote attitudes like this.... No one is recognized for doing exceptionally well and the flunkies get treated the same. They don't want to make anyone feel left out.