US Postal Service Delivery laws

BlackViolet13

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to create a situation with my MC in which she has to hide something that's incredibly important to her, that nobody will have access to. She only needs to hide it for a week or two, until she knows what to do with it. Without boring you with all the details, her house has burned down, and she wants to send it there Priority Mail with a signature confirmation on delivery, obviously knowing that the postal carrier won't be able to get one because well, she has no house and she won't even be there.

Now from what I understand, they will take it back to the post office to be held, and if the recipient wants it, she can go to her post office, present her ID and get it. And that's where my knowledge ends.

And now a few questions:
  1. How long would the PO keep her package there, and where would it go next if the limitation on the time they kept it passed?
  2. What steps would she have to take at the next step in the road, if there is one?
I am of course also interested in any other bits of information anybody might have to add, and I thank you in advance for your help!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about packages, but letters requiring signature are held for about ten days. After that, they are discarded, and the delivery confirmation slip, without a signature, is returned to the sender. At least that's what happened to mine.

It seems possible that a package, or a letter with important documents, would not be discarded, but I don't know what you'd have to do to get it returned to the sender.

You know, the local post office has a manager who would know all this stuff. Stop by, explain you're a writer eager to get it right, and ask when would be a good time to have about five minutes of his or her time. The odds are the answer is, now.

Maryn, whose postal employees are gruntled

mommyjo2

Bad grammar make me [sic]
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.milehimama.com
She could send it media mail to herself at a PO Box. If it's that important, would she want to even fill out a delivery slip with her signature and the date and time she received it, to go on file at the post office? Talk about a paperwork trail!

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Now from what I understand, they will take it back to the post office to be held, and if the recipient wants it, she can go to her post office, present her ID and get it. And that's where my knowledge ends.

Yes.

And now a few questions:
  1. How long would the PO keep her package there, and where would it go next if the limitation on the time they kept it passed?
They make 3 delivery attempts--how long that takes varies by individual post offices. Between 10 days and 2 weeks is probably a believable estimate.

Then it goes back to the sender.

2. What steps would she have to take at the next step in the road, if there is one?

Well, it goes back to the sender. So if she put the name of, say, a close friend or family member as the "return address", it would go to them.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
It also depends on the distance the package comes from and the way it's sent. 1st class goes quickest, book rate or 3rd is slowest.

BlackViolet13

Registered
Reaction score
You've all given me a lot of great information to consider, so thank you all for taking the time to put in your feedback! Now I have several ways I can go with this :D

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Oh almost forgot, if the local is rural or remote like in the midwest, some tiny townships either don't have a PO and need to go to the next city or town of reasonable size population 10K?, or the mail delivery is only 2 or 3 days a week, less in bad weather, or if the sole proprietor is out ill. Saw an article about a postal delivery person on horseback in one rough terrain area--the mailboxes were set about 5' (150 cm) off the ground for easy access.