PDA

View Full Version : That's a kick in the---

bluejester12
03-27-2008, 10:35 AM
I just waited three months to find out my application to the graduate Creative Writing program at my school got denied.

I'm seriously betting it's because I'm a genre writer. I recently sold my first short story, too.

It's like telling me I'm not good enough for my career choice. The letter actually says "You may wish to consider other degree....programs. etc."

I'm REALLY pissed right now. :rant:

Foinah
03-27-2008, 10:52 AM
Sorry to hear that. Maybe you should incorporate this into a short story that will win a major award and humble the school...

Joe270
03-27-2008, 10:57 AM
It's like telling me I'm not good enough for my career choice.

Bullshit, Blue. Here's proof:

I recently sold my first short story, too.

You're already doing it. Screw the graduate school. Write. Publish. You've done it.

All you gotta do is keep up the good work.

You are not just a writer, not just an author, you are a published writer.

Go back in a couple decades and accept an honorary degree as a private joke.

Tedium
03-27-2008, 11:59 AM
One of my good friends was told by the head of my MFA dept. that his work was no good because it was genre. I'm not even sure I know what the line seperating literary from genre is anymore.

Joe270 is right. You did publish a story, so you're on the right path. See if you can't find a Prof. at school to mentor you. Some of them could be interested if they like your writing.

Most of all, keep your head up. This isn't the end of the world, but I absolutely see why you are so mad.

Shweta
03-27-2008, 12:53 PM
For what it's worth, UC San Diego's starting up a master's program in creative writing, and is, and will probably continue to be, very genre-friendly.

The Clarion SF/F workshop is now at UCSD. Kim Stanley Robinson and other great SF writers are native here. It's a good place for us genre geeks.

Mumut
03-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Keep writing, that's the main thing. And, for what it's worth from an old man who has had his share of knock-backs, something better usually pops up and makes up for the disappointment. All the best, mate!