Northern Aussies needed

DeaconBlu

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard you have salt water crocs up your way. Are these the big monsters I've heard about? How dangerous is it to live near them? Do you have any statistics?

Thank you for any help on this.

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
So many Asstralian jokes, but I won't...

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
ROFLMAO. Better get a supermod. Haggis or Rolling Thunder would NEVER change the title of this thread. Oh no...they'll leave you with it until the Aussies get here.

*snicker, chuckle, laugh, guffaw*

Voyager

Registered
Reaction score
ROFLMAO. Better get a supermod. Haggis or Rolling Thunder would NEVER change the title of this thread. Oh no...they'll leave you with it until the Aussies get here.

*snicker, chuckle, laugh, guffaw*
Dear god, Deacon, run for you liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiife

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks (for nothin!), it's pronounced "arse" in our neck of the woods! lol

To try and answer your question, Deacon. I'm not northern enough to have regular contact with salties (thank heavens for that!), but yes, they get very, very big. And yes, living with them can be very dangerous. They are one of the most well-adapted animals on Earth, which pretty much explains why they haven't changed much since the dinosaurs roamed.

They can swim really fast, they can run really fast, and they are expert and camouflaging themselves. Females can be very agressive, particularly when she is defending her clutch of eggs. You get a news report every year or so about some poor bloke spending days up a tree, while the croc below cruises around, waiting for him to try and make a break for it.

And yes, they really do get that big!

Dunno about statistics. Maybe the net can help. Bureau of Statistics, maybe?

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Assies hey! Yeah the crocs are that big they sometimes take up two lanes of traffic. But we just bounce right by them on our pet kangaroos.

Just do a google search for the Steve Irwin Asstralia Zoo, that should give you the answers or links you're looking for.

JJ

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Salties.

Yes, they are very big and very dangerous.
You do not camp on or near a river bank or billabong. You don't swim, and you do take notice of the warning signs.

I haven't got actual stats but the box jellyfish actually kill more people than the Salties. However several people, idiot enough to get too close to water where Salties are, do get killed each year.

Voyager

Registered
Reaction score
Assies hey! Yeah the crocs are that big they sometimes take up two lanes of traffic. But we just bounce right by them on our pet kangaroos.

Just do a google search for the Steve Irwin Asstralia Zoo, that should give you the answers or links you're looking for.

JJ

Hey JJ, I forgot you was Asstralian :tongue. Maybe it was the salties that ate all the apostrophes?

Jo

Travelling the re-write road
Registered
Reaction score
Crocs and wet season flooding... yeah, fun. Cairns has a few problems with them. Better beware of them lurking in your drains (good fishing). Or mistaking them for logs. Tours can be fun, too. Just don't drink too much.

Here's some stuff about crocs up there. And some more stuff. Even the government has something to say about them.

crocodile-sign.jpg

Still, no need to worry.
On average only one person a year is killed by a crocodile in Australia, in comparison three people a year die from bee stings, and thousands from smoking and car accidents so as long as you take some sensible precautions there is no need to worry on your Australian holiday.
^courtesy: http://www.amazingaustralia.com.au/animals/crocodile_attacks.htm ^

category17_1.htm