A kind of silly question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
...but curiosity is killing me about this.

I've always wondered what kind of money a book tends to bring in.

Not to sound like I'm in it for the money, cause I've been writing since I could lift a pen and never really aspired to make money from it.

I'm just curious.

I'm talking that if a publisher accepts your first book and it goes to the presses, etc. What kind of money do you get/how are you paid?

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and I'm aware that it fluctuates due to the success of the book. I'm just looking for an average idea here.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
It's tough to say there's any average. A lot depends on what genre you write, for instance, and whether you're being published by a large publishing house or one of the smaller presses. I think I've seen that the average first book price for a new author is $5,000, but I can't cite my source.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen a couple of sites that track this sort of thing but they were all for romance publishers. I'm guessing you're looking for a more comprehensive listing though.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen a couple of sites that track this sort of thing but they were all for romance publishers. I'm guessing you're looking for a more comprehensive listing though.

I'm just sort of wanting to satisfy my curiosity really.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and I'm wondering HOW the pay happens.

Is it all up front?

It like an advance + a percentage of the sales?

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Generally speaking, you get an advance which can range from hundreds to millions of dollars. I think it's safe to say most first-book advances are under $10,000. Mine was half that. The advance is usually paid in installments - at least two - part upon signing the contract, part upon completion of the finished, edited ms.

If the book "earns out" - that is, sells enough copies that the accumulated royalties equal and then surpass your advance (in effect, repay it) - you are then paid, usually twice a year, royalties on all sales above and beyond the amount of the advance.

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
I did have an acquaintance that received an advance of like $100,000 (in installments of course) but that's the great exception to the rule. It was her first book (in a series) and she happened to land one of the super top tier of agents. The rest of us poor slobs have to get the $1.00 to $49,000 (nice deal) tier in advances.

Status
Not open for further replies.