PDA

View Full Version : A kind of silly question...

James81
03-26-2008, 11:24 PM
...but curiosity is killing me about this.

I've always wondered what kind of money a book tends to bring in.

Not to sound like I'm in it for the money, cause I've been writing since I could lift a pen and never really aspired to make money from it.

I'm just curious.

I'm talking that if a publisher accepts your first book and it goes to the presses, etc. What kind of money do you get/how are you paid?

James81
03-26-2008, 11:25 PM
Oh, and I'm aware that it fluctuates due to the success of the book. I'm just looking for an average idea here.

Claudia Gray
03-26-2008, 11:36 PM
It's tough to say there's any average. A lot depends on what genre you write, for instance, and whether you're being published by a large publishing house or one of the smaller presses. I think I've seen that the average first book price for a new author is $5,000, but I can't cite my source.

kristie911
03-26-2008, 11:37 PM
I've seen a couple of sites that track this sort of thing but they were all for romance publishers. I'm guessing you're looking for a more comprehensive listing though.

James81
03-27-2008, 12:35 AM
I've seen a couple of sites that track this sort of thing but they were all for romance publishers. I'm guessing you're looking for a more comprehensive listing though.

I'm just sort of wanting to satisfy my curiosity really.

James81
03-27-2008, 12:37 AM
Oh, and I'm wondering HOW the pay happens.

Is it all up front?

It like an advance + a percentage of the sales?

aka eraser
03-27-2008, 03:28 AM
Generally speaking, you get an advance which can range from hundreds to millions of dollars. I think it's safe to say most first-book advances are under $10,000. Mine was half that. The advance is usually paid in installments - at least two - part upon signing the contract, part upon completion of the finished, edited ms.

If the book "earns out" - that is, sells enough copies that the accumulated royalties equal and then surpass your advance (in effect, repay it) - you are then paid, usually twice a year, royalties on all sales above and beyond the amount of the advance.

Appalachian Writer
03-27-2008, 03:33 AM
I did have an acquaintance that received an advance of like $100,000 (in installments of course) but that's the great exception to the rule. It was her first book (in a series) and she happened to land one of the super top tier of agents. The rest of us poor slobs have to get the $1.00 to $49,000 (nice deal) tier in advances.