Which celebration is most important to you?

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
Most of us mark each turn of the wheel, but are there any celebrations that you enjoy more than others? Frankly, I enjoy Ostara more than the Yule holiday season, and Samhain is more important to me spiritually. I may not always celebrate Beltane with ritual, but I feel the spirit of the season in whatever I do then.

What about everyone else? Or is there another celebration outside the wheel of the year that you enjoy more?

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
I think I probably enjoy Beltane the most, and find Samhain the most spiritually significant.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Our weather extremes are...er, extreme. We can have 138 degree (F) different from summer to winter. Imbloc is always brutally cold, Ostera get a blizzard, and I've seen flurries on Beltain more than once. We do a lot of indoor rituals.

I think that Samhain is the holiday I enjoy, not just because of the spiritual signifigance, but becaus e the rest of the culture seems to be joining in on the fun.

Beltain is also important, and in Minneapolis, it's treated as the first day (or weekend, at least) of the outdoor season by pretty much everybody. There a big parade that ends with a festival in the park whose theme is the re-wakening of the Earth Mother. About 50,000 people show up for this.

Melisande

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Walpurgis night is very important to me, but more so is Midsummer. I also observe the Winter Solstice as a spiritual day.

Jenan Mac

The Deadliest Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Probably Samhain, for the aforementioned spiritual content. Our folk tend to be big on the ancestor-reverencing.
On a personal level, I've always had an affection for Labor Day. In an early show of sick humor (or perhaps just an excess of literal-mindedness), I interrupted a Labor Day picnic with my arrival. My sisters retaliated by feeding me popsicles the moment I got home from the hospital. Fortunately, live siblings don't count as ancestors.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
For Mr. Vagabond and me, it's spring equinox. We were even married on spring equinox. That seemed like the perfect time for us - rebirth and all.

We do love Samhain, though. We always get geared up for it, but it seems that in recent years we "gear" more than we do. It's always fun to think about and plan for, but the mundane world seems to win...a lot.

Last edited:

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
The local UU in Arlington VA had a great pagan/wiccan group. Samhain was my fav. time. Sometimes my partner and I do a ceremony in the park across the street on quarters or cross quarters. The nice thing here is that you can wander around at midnight or any time without being in danger from nutcases. I've always had an affinity with Sehkmet and it's nice to be closer to Her.