The Ongoing Hellocopter Adventures

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.hellocopter.org/blog.asp

Monday, March 24, 2008
In case you have been wondering when we will finally deliver those many well-wish cards that we have gathered: we're experiencing some difficulties in getting hospital managements to give permission for us to drop by.

Jared has been talking to six different hospitals to date, trying to get them to open the doors of their children's wards, but they are reluctant. Fears of infections and the like. That's understandable, though it appears to also be a matter of fears of lawsuits.

So far, no one is keen on allowing us to land on their helipads. Some say it's okay for us to come as close as the front door where they'll be happy to accept our cards, but that's as far as it goes. Others say that we are not welcome, period. And two hospitals we have yet to hear back from.

We'll take it as it comes. Landing the helicopter in front, or on top, of the hospital would be good for drama, and especially exciting for the kids to see or at least hear. But if they don't want us there, that'd be fine too; we'll land on the next lawn or parking lot that's available. Or at the local airport like everybody else, and we'll grab a cab from there. As long as we can come in and get a chance to talk to at least a few of the sick children, so that we can tell them in person that strangers are thinking about them and wishing them well.

We'll also need, frankly, local media to record our early visits, to help spread the word. We can only help a million sick kids if we reach hundreds of thousands of other people and ask them for their help, too. There is no doubt that we'll get it done. It's just a matter of finding the first doors that will open for us to deliver (y)our ray of sunshine. Seems we may have to go to the more remote hospitals first.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~​

Funny, they've been on this goodwill trip for more than a year now.
Just starting to talk to hospitals? A total of six?

Total cards collected: who knows?
Total cards delivered: None
Total donations collected: who knows?
Total donations delivered: None

Query: Are the donations in an interest-bearing account?

Does shaking a million hands in restaurants and hotels count as a charity activity?
Is Alice getting carpal tunnel from clicking her "handshake counter" device?

Last edited:

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Didn't they claim to be in the air last year delivering cards? And claiming to have passport problems at some borders? And having fuel problems in a few places?

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Didn't they claim to be in the air last year delivering cards? And claiming to have passport problems at some borders? And having fuel problems in a few places?
You have to go to the website Hellocopter.org to read the whole story.
It's all in Willem's blog, partially quoted above.
In writing.
In public.

It's a strange, strange world.

Last edited:

nancy sv

30 months on a bicycle...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
I've just spent about an hour reading through the site and I'm still confused. As I look through their site I notice that they are trying to "break" 10 world records - all "firsts". I wonder if they've even contacted Guinness World Records about their attempt. When we contacted them about the possbility of our boys setting a new world record for being the youngest people to cycle the Pan-American Highway, we found out that Guinness doesn't do any "firsts" because that can NEVER be broken. The idea behind a record is that it has to be something that someone can break if they want to - the youngest, the oldest, the fastest, etc... Guinness gave us a list of things we had to do in order to document our journey and we have to do them or they will not recognize our trip at all.

Guinness World Records receives around 65,000 record claims each year, and it's obviously impossible for us to accept everything that’s sent to us.

Some record suggestions are, frankly, far too dangerous for us accept, especially if there is risk to spectators and members of the public as well as the individual participant(s). Others are simply not enough of a challenge, too specific to an individual, or unbreakable.

Also, owing to space constraints and limited resources, it is no longer possible for us to recognize or publish national or parochial (country specific) records. This is why we are now called Guinness World Records, not the Guinness Book of Records.

While we certainly do not underestimate these accomplishments, we do require all of our records to be provable, quantifiable and breakable.

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Keep reading. I don't think you'll get any less confused.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I'm still not convinced that the initial flights ever happened.

Nothing but generic pictures that could have been harvested off the internet and very generic postings about places.

I wish I knew what airport they kept their helicopter at. I would have gone up there during the "flight" to verify it actually left Maryland, much less the country. I mean, Frederick is only about 40 miles from here.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Hmmm, that's PA logic for you. Break a record by being first. Nope, that's establishing a record, not breaking one. The second person to try gets to break the record.

But don't give up hope, Willem. You can still establish a record for the most rejections from hospitals. Just don't throw away those rejection letters. Guiness will want those as proof of your achievement.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Mean-spirited people might suggest that Hellocopter is either a charity scam to raise money fraudulently, a tax dodge for helicopter expenses, a PR scheme with no basis in reality to make the participants appear to be charitable, or all of the above. Or something entirely different. Willem has vowed to 'shake a million hands' as if that is an accomplishment worthy of note.

The truth of the matter has yet to be determined.

The fact that the Hellocopter crew has been traveling for more that a year and has delivered no cards to children and has received no media attention whatsoever, and is not endorsed by any trustworthy charitable organization, makes their mission statement suspect.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
And considering the 'copter rental and fuel costs wouldn't it just be cheaper to mail a bag of cards?

Dear sick kid,

Sorry we couldn't land on the hospital roof, but there was a Med-Evac 'copter on the pad bringing in a critical injury, so it's not our fault you missed a big thrill. It's also not our fault that the hospital staff couldn't be dragged away from their life-saving duties to get you and your sicko pals up the five stories to the roof so you could watch us wave at you, then cart you back down again in time for your chemo.

Hope you feel better for getting this lame-ass card.

Sincerely,

Someone willing to use your illness to grab some cheesy publicity.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dear sick kid,

Sorry we couldn't land on the hospital roof, but there was a Med-Evac 'copter on the pad bringing in a critical injury, so it's not our fault you missed a big thrill. It's also not our fault that the hospital staff couldn't be dragged away from their life-saving duties to get you and your sicko pals up the five stories to the roof so you could watch us wave at you, then they'd cart you back down again in time for your chemo.

Hope you feel better for getting this lame-ass card.

Sincerely,

Someone willing to use your illness to grab some cheesy publicity.
No, PA would demand an apology from the sick kid.

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
I'm still not convinced that the initial flights ever happened.

Nothing but generic pictures that could have been harvested off the internet and very generic postings about places.
. . .
Maybe the whole thing has been a PA riff on "Flat Stanley," but entirely imaginary, with not even a mailed cutout of the Hellocopter.

--Ken

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
If these wankers REALLY want to make a million sick kids happy, then they should donate ALL of PA's profits toward medical research so the sick kids can get cured.

If that copter is real, then we know where one of the Stooges spends his cut of the con profits.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
The great and mighty pirate ship is actually a helicopter at least partially manned by one of the three stooges? This is a kool-aid story, isn't it?

Well at least it makes for some great entertainment. :popcorn:

From the few blogs I've read there, there is a, shall we say, interesting relationship with reality.

Last edited:

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if the hospitals who refused to let them land were sent "tone letters"?

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.hellocopter.org/hellocard.asp

We don't necessarily seek to raise money, but we don't discourage it either. Please make your check payable to HELP, Inc. The Air 44 Xplore team supports Helicopter Explorers for Life Partnerships (HELP), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization

Maybe someone can explain this to me:

Willem is the XPlore team which supports HELP.
Willem is also the tax exempt HELP organization which is 'supported' by
the XPlore team and YOUR checks, made payable to HELP, Inc.

Is this some sort of incestuous relationship between Willem and Willem?

I'm sure he has been told numerous times to perform a physically impossible act -you know the one I mean- but this is the first time I've seen it happen in real life.

I guess he no longer 'supports and consults Unicef' (sic).

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com

We don't necessarily seek to raise money, but we don't discourage it either. Please make your check payable to HELP, Inc. The Air 44 Xplore team supports Helicopter Explorers for Life Partnerships (HELP), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization

I'm sure he has been told numerous times to perform a physically impossible act -you know the one I mean- but this is the first time I've seen it happen in real life.

I guess he no longer 'supports and consults Unicef' (sic).

I wonder if it actually IS registered as a nonprofit organization... you do have to file papers for that...

anyone wanna do a bit of legwork?

;)

Khazarkhum

Registered
Reaction score

There is no requirement for a charity to spend its money on the cause it supports. All he has to do is show intent. Live AID, the huge concert for Africa, delivered a whopping $70,000.00. The rest went to 'overhead'.

Willem can legally draw a salary from donations, and he can pay his pilot, mechanic, secretary, legal team, janitor and so on as legitimate business expenses. He can cover office expenses, too, including meals, travel, rent, utilities and anything else that would normally fall under the costs of doing business.