College Admissions Angst

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
OK, so how many of you are sitting there, angstfully awaiting college admissions decisions, either for yourself or a loved one? In my case, it's my daughter. Three decisions down (one admit, one waiting list, one rejection). Two to go.

How about you? I can't stand it. AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
I remember that! God, it nearly killed me!

It was all very anticlimactic, though...

I got a phone call one day from the head of the psych stats department at NYU asking if he could help me with anything, answer any questions, or cut any red tape for me.

I demanded to know why he was calling me.

He said he had been given the names of 20 of the top potential students who had applied to NYU with psychology as their intended major.

That was when I asked if I'd gotten in... He got all flustered and said "Oh, well, yes, you have... I guess they just haven't sent the letter. It should be there in a few days."

*sigh* I was SO expecting that moment at the mail box... You know? Trembling over the large envelope and asking my mother "But what if it's a rejection?" And hearing her shout back, in that derisive tone I know so well, "For the love of God, look at the size of it, Hillary! What, do you think they sent a book called "1,001 Reasons We Don't Want You At Our School"??? For Christ's sake, open it already! Let's see how much this is going to cost us..."

Yeah. I missed that bonding moment. Sad.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We're visiting colleges now, Maggie, for next year, but hugs as you await!

misslissy

Only a sassbucket sometimes.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
womeneverywhere.wordpress.com
Sometimes it's really nerve wrecking, but what I discovered is that if you don't have a number one school, it becomes less nerve-wrecking.

And I'm going to college next year. It's pretty sweet. Good luck for your daughter!

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
It's always a letdown I think. If you don't get into all the schools you applied to, you feel rejected. If you do get into all the schools you apply to, you still have to decide between them. And it's not really going to make or break the rest of your life. Happiness in college is a lot like happiness anywhere else - you carry it with you (barring complete disasters).

Thanks to everyone for the mature and reassuring comments.

And best of luck to everybody embarking on this great adventure.

Daimeera

Registered
Reaction score
Website
daimeerafic.livejournal.com
I only applied to one university, and thankfully, I got in (not that admissions standards were particularly rigorous). However, I was surprised when I received another letter telling me they want to interview me and make me write an essay in order to maybe give me a scholarship.

Good excuse for a shopping spree--I own nothing formal. Worst problem? Hard to fit feet combined with veganism makes finding shoes murder.

Best of luck to your daughter, and anyone else awaiting word!