• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Writing about scenes that you haven't been to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
I am writing a scene in my story of a lake lined with Maple trees. The problem is, I've never been to such a lake before, but my mind strongly desires for the scene to be set in such an environment. I do have a clear picture of the place, but the problem is, I'm afraid my mind's eye might play tricks on me. For example, what if I make the character walk right into a tree? Or right into the middle of the lake? Or if the position of the little boat in the middle of the lake suddenly changes midscene?

Should I look at a picture, and describe it? Or should I actually draw it myself? (I'm a poor artist, though). What should I do? Do some research?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Hard to take your questions seriously, Exir.

Don't make your character walk into a tree.

Don't make your character walk into the lake.

Take control of your writing. You are the puppet master, not the puppet.

Google search results for: lake shore

-Derek

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
You don't have to be a great artist just to plan it out, if that's going to help you work out where everything is

A wibbly line round the edge of the lake, X's for trees, whathave you. As long as you are clear where things are. It's not like they are going to put it in the front of the book ala Tolkien.

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Use Google Earth. It's not all that clear for close-up viewing but could give you a look at the real thing. I've done that for a town which really fits my needs as far as location, castle, river etc so now I've used the camera feature to see the streets, houses and surrounding countryside.

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
It's not about what you see, more what the readers see. Keep the description to a minimum. Let your readers use their own imagination.

JJ

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Pet peeve warning: When I read maple trees lined the lake, I see a lake basin full of maple trees from the lowest depths to the rim, like a purse lined with silk. The trees would surround the lake, or possibly line up around it, or crowd down around it, or fill it with the yellow and red fire of their foliage (in fall.)

The right two or three sentences, with good strong verbs, would probably be enough to set the lake scene for you. Your character won't walk into a tree unless he's that kind of person, and he's not likely to walk out to the middle of the lake unless he's Jesus or Chance the Gardener. ;)

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Use willows.

Problem solved.

Your character would feel the wisp of the overhanging branches before they a)walked into a tree or b)walked into the lake.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I think the only tree being walked into was all of you who didn't know you were being had...
What makes you say that? The thread was posted in Story Research forum before being moved to Basic Writing Questions, which seemed more suitable. It's a little early for an April 1 joke.

-Derek

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Being had? Us? Surely not. Oh, naughty Exir - naughty!

Mind you, on re-reading all his posts...

I think the only tree being walked into was all of you who didn't know you were being had...

Last edited:

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Here's a pic from the lake my family's cottage is on. I'm afraid there's oak, birch, pine, fir and poplars mixed in among the maples but what the heck - it's a nice photo.

Cnv0008-1.jpg

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks eraser

Thanks everyone for their replies. I think the question seems a bit silly now, looking back, but I think that as long as the reader can imagine the place, it doesn't matter if my mind's image is entire correct

Thanks eraser for that picture - that's what it should look like :)

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Notice in Eraser's picture how the foliage sets the lake on fire -- this is a wonderful sight every year. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.