PDA

View Full Version : Yay! I now have an agent!

Kasey Mackenzie
03-24-2008, 08:25 PM
I am beyond thrilled to announce that I have accepted an offer of representation from literary agent Ginger Clark with the Curtis Brown Literary Agency. Ginger represents a fantastic roster of clients who write in my genre (as well as others) and I am absolutely awed to be in their company. She's an amazing agent and I know that both my manuscript and I will be in terrific hands.

Can I just let out one little squee, please? Squee!

Thanks to everyone who has supported me and commiserated with me during my agent search. I won't forget it!

Claudia Gray
03-24-2008, 08:31 PM
Congrats!

bluntforcetrauma
03-24-2008, 08:31 PM
Squee, baby, squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Congratulstions.

Soccer Mom
03-24-2008, 08:33 PM
OMG! She's one of my dream agents. Congrats!

:snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy: :snoopy:

Bufty
03-24-2008, 08:34 PM
Yeehaaaahh!! That's terrific news. Congratulations, Kasey. :Hug2:

Marian Perera
03-24-2008, 08:52 PM
She's an excellent agent. Well done! :)

Susan Breen
03-24-2008, 09:06 PM
Congratulations! She represents a dear friend of mine and I've heard only good things.

Perks
03-24-2008, 09:07 PM
Treeeeeemendous! Great news! Congratulations times ten.

Provrb1810meggy
03-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Ah, congratulations! Talk about a big-time agent!

Irysangel
03-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Super awesome! Congrats! And you are allowed to squee as much as you want. :)

triceretops
03-24-2008, 09:20 PM
Just wow. Top breed, Ginger.

Tri

ReneC
03-24-2008, 09:28 PM
Awesome news! Congrats! Squee away!

:hooray::partyguy:

IHeartWriting
03-24-2008, 09:31 PM
That deserves a HUGE squee!
:hooray:

Congrats!

DeleyanLee
03-24-2008, 09:34 PM
Congrats again, Kasey!

May your book sell quickly for you.

clara bow
03-24-2008, 09:37 PM
woot!! that's fantastic! many happy sales!!!

Prevostprincess
03-24-2008, 09:39 PM
BIG FAT CONGRATS to you! What a way to finish your agent search!

Kasey Mackenzie
03-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Thank you everyone! I am totally on Cloud Nine but trying to keep my feet on the ground. ;) Part of me still can't believe I'm not dreaming. (But if it turns out I am, please don't wake me up!)

Calla Lily
03-24-2008, 09:45 PM
Squee as loud and long as you want! Congratulations! :hooray:

smlgr8
03-24-2008, 11:30 PM
Congratulations on making the official decision, Kasey

WriterInChains
03-24-2008, 11:40 PM
Congratulations! :) She's a real heavy-hitter!

xiaotien
03-24-2008, 11:47 PM
kasey, i am both jealous and thrilled for you!
i couldn't even get ginger to eject me. ;*)

can i ask (if i'm not being too nosey) how many
agents you queried and when you began your
search?

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!

CaroGirl
03-25-2008, 12:00 AM
You can let out a lot of squee. Congratulations!!!

joyce
03-25-2008, 12:02 AM
:hooray:Congratultions that's awsome.

dawinsor
03-25-2008, 12:19 AM
That's fantastic! She's a great agent.

SmartAsh
03-25-2008, 12:25 AM
Squee! Woo Hoo! Hooray! Yippee! Yayy!

Moon Daughter
03-25-2008, 12:27 AM
Congrats, Kasey! Ginger is an awesome agent.

Maui Author
03-25-2008, 12:34 AM
Congratulations!! I hope to one day write a similar post, but until then I will live vicariously.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Kasey Mackenzie
03-25-2008, 12:39 AM
kasey, i am both jealous and thrilled for you!
i couldn't even get ginger to eject me. ;*)

can i ask (if i'm not being too nosey) how many
agents you queried and when you began your
search?

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you! Hey, I've been in your shoes myself many times. *grin* We all get those conflicting feelings going through this process.

This is the third manuscript I've queried since I got serious about getting published a few years ago, though I have successively queried more widely with each manuscript as I have learned more about the process, my craft, and discovered more and more agents who repped my genre (urban fantasy). Part of that, of course, is that urban fantasy is getting even more popular so more agents are actively seeking it out now. I'd say I queried between 5-10 agents with the first ms, between 10-20 with the second, and probably between 15-20 with the newest manuscript which actually landed my agent. As far as that manuscript goes, I finished it in January and sent out my first query on February 5th. I continued sending out small batches of queries (both email and snail) over the next few weeks, and got a good result of partial and full requests.

As of last Monday when the first agent offered representation, I had 3 outstanding partials and 3 outstanding fulls (I think my math's right there...LOL). One of those agents with the full had been VERY complimentary about the partial and promised a quick read and I was positive she was going to make an offer. (*grin*) With last Monday's offer, she got back to me that she had loved the first three chapters but had been planning to ask for MAJOR revising of the manuscript, and even if I made them couldn't promise representation. (I mention this just to reiterate how very subjective this business is and to remind writers to never give up hope when you receive rejections.) The other agent with the full fit me in for a quick read and ultimately passed (but she was absolutely lovely, both on the phone and in her rejection), which left the agents with partials. I had emailed them at the same time I emailed the agents with the fulls to let them know about the offer on the table. One hasn't responded yet, but another promptly asked for the full manuscript and asked to have until Friday to respond. Since she (Ginger) was one of my top choices, I immediately agreed. I let the first agent know I would make a decision later in the week, and as the other rejections came in, I had myself convinced Ginger was going to, too.

Which is why I almost fainted Friday when I saw the 212 area code on my cell phone. Obviously I called Ginger right back, she let me know she was calling to offer representation, I tried not to sound too much like an idiot, and I let her know I needed a couple of days to make my decision.

Okay, I know that was a very long-winded response, but I know that I really enjoy reading these so hopefully someone will find it helpful and/or inspiring. Persistence really IS key in this industry!!!

caromora
03-25-2008, 12:41 AM
Congratulations on snagging an awesome agent. :)

cate townsend
03-25-2008, 01:35 AM
Another round of applause. Good for you, Kasey. I've heard many good things about Ginger Clark. I'm with Xiao - would love to hear about your journey to getting to this point.

cate townsend
03-25-2008, 01:38 AM
Guess I saw your story a little late, Kasey. Thanks for sharing!

Susan B
03-25-2008, 05:45 AM
Congratulations--great news!!

Karen Duvall
03-25-2008, 05:50 AM
Woo hoo! Excellent!

JustJess
03-25-2008, 05:59 AM
Congratulations!!! Very exciting.

windyrdg
03-25-2008, 06:27 AM
Good for You!! Congratulations, CB is one of the old timers.

jamiehall
03-25-2008, 06:47 AM
Wow! That's a really major agency.

:hooray::e2cheer: :hooray: :e2cheer: :hooray: :e2cheer: :hooray:

xiaotien
03-25-2008, 11:01 PM
omg, kasey. thank you for sharing the deets
and what an incredible journey. i really give you
props for writing a THIRD novel and querying with the
other two. that takes so much persistance. i admire
you for it.

this is just my first and it's a matter of when to
give up and move on two writing. i'm not without hope
just yet. so i'll stick with it until all the no's do come
in. i was nuts tho, and queried 100 agents. =X

i'm obsessive like that.

congrats again! i can't think of a better story
and someone who deserves it more! yay!
may we see your book on the shelves soon!!!! =D

Judg
03-26-2008, 01:05 AM
Very, very cool. Squee as much and as loud as you like.

I don't know why I don't get jealous when I read these things... Maybe because they encourage me.

KikiteNeko
03-26-2008, 02:29 AM
Congrats :)

Kasey Mackenzie
03-26-2008, 03:18 AM
You are so welcome! I'm just glad my long post didn't bore you to tears. ;) I have to admit that this is actually the fourth novel I've completed since I got serious about publishing, but the first one is what I like to affectionately refer to as my "trunk" novel and will not be seeing the light of day unless I majorly re-write it. *grin*

The previous two are much more salvageable, though I'll wait awhile before springing them on my unsuspecting agent! ;)

I'm sure I would have queried more agents with this book as I had a feeling it was "the one," but fortunately I didn't have to go much past 20 this time around. Nothing wrong with querying widely, I think it's one of the best things a writer can do, so long as they're researching the agents as well as they can.

And thank you so much for the kind words!!!

omg, kasey. thank you for sharing the deets
and what an incredible journey. i really give you
props for writing a THIRD novel and querying with the
other two. that takes so much persistance. i admire
you for it.

this is just my first and it's a matter of when to
give up and move on two writing. i'm not without hope
just yet. so i'll stick with it until all the no's do come
in. i was nuts tho, and queried 100 agents. =X

i'm obsessive like that.

congrats again! i can't think of a better story
and someone who deserves it more! yay!
may we see your book on the shelves soon!!!! =D

jamiehall
03-26-2008, 04:06 AM
You are so welcome! I'm just glad my long post didn't bore you to tears. ;)

Oh, but we like to hear all the details so we can stalk amass information on agents. ;)

aliajohnson
03-26-2008, 04:29 AM
Definitely squee worthy! :hooray: Congratulations! And that post wasn't too long at all. I love hearing the story behind the success. Very cool.

Way to go!!

:e2woo::e2woo:You get two woohooers

astonwest
03-26-2008, 05:02 AM
Congratulations!!!

stormie
03-26-2008, 05:11 AM
Congrats, Kasey! :snoopy:
ETA: I just read your "journey to getting an agent" on the first page. What impresses me is that you thought everything out. You didn't jump at the first agent wanting to rep you. Even when Ginger offered representation, you waited a little. Good. Very good. That's a hard thing to do when you're at that stage. Now I'm off my soap box. :D

Pisarz
03-26-2008, 06:34 AM
Wow, what a ride! Congratulations . . . and enjoy it.

spacejock2
03-26-2008, 10:10 AM
Congratulations! Excellent news!

Mythica
03-27-2008, 02:50 AM
Congrats Kasey!! How exciting!! I visited your website and your books sound very interesting. I love the human phoenix idea!

I have a quick question that you might be able to answer :) How long was it before you heard back from Ginger? She has a partial of mine from a couple weeks ago, and I'm super excited to hear back from her. I'd die of happiness if she offered representation :D

funidream
03-27-2008, 03:27 AM
Bravo!

Kasey Mackenzie
03-27-2008, 03:54 AM
Congrats Kasey!! How exciting!! I visited your website and your books sound very interesting. I love the human phoenix idea!

I have a quick question that you might be able to answer :) How long was it before you heard back from Ginger? She has a partial of mine from a couple weeks ago, and I'm super excited to hear back from her. I'd die of happiness if she offered representation :D

Thanks so much! I love the phoenix manuscript. Hopefully my agent will like it, too, once we're ready to discuss other projects. But I know that won't be for awhile yet. *grin*

Let's see. It took Ginger 10 days to request my partial from my e-query. She had the partial for about a month, which is when I emailed her to let her know about the first offer of representation, at which point she immediately requested the full manuscript and promised a response within three days, and she very promptly responded on the third day as promised. She actually hadn't quite finished the manuscript yet but said that she wanted to make the offer since she had promised a response by that day. She was very nice during all of our correspondence and lovely on the phone.

Trust me, I had my own mini freak-out session when she offered. She's been one of my top choices for awhile, and Curtis Brown is a major agency, so I feel very fortunate and blessed to be working with them.

And congrats on the partial. It's so exciting to get those requests, isn't it? Good luck!!!

jamiehall
03-27-2008, 04:22 AM
Thanks so much! I love the phoenix manuscript. Hopefully my agent will like it, too, once we're ready to discuss other projects. But I know that won't be for awhile yet. *grin*

Let's see. It took Ginger 10 days to request my partial from my e-query. She had the partial for about a month, which is when I emailed her to let her know about the first offer of representation, at which point she immediately requested the full manuscript and promised a response within three days, and she very promptly responded on the third day as promised. She actually hadn't quite finished the manuscript yet but said that she wanted to make the offer since she had promised a response by that day. She was very nice during all of our correspondence and lovely on the phone.

Trust me, I had my own mini freak-out session when she offered. She's been one of my top choices for awhile, and Curtis Brown is a major agency, so I feel very fortunate and blessed to be working with them.

And congrats on the partial. It's so exciting to get those requests, isn't it? Good luck!!!

Thanks for providing even more stalking info details! It really helps those of us who are stalking searching for agents conceptualize the process.

;)

aka eraser
03-27-2008, 04:45 AM
:Clap:

Mythica
03-27-2008, 07:07 AM

Ooooh! Is 'Where Angels Fear to Tread'going to be the one you'll sell first? That concept is also really cool!

So that sounds pretty good then! She requested my partial in about four days and it was my first request, so I definitely did a serious happy dance haha It's only been a couple weeks, and I haven't heard back from the other three agents with my manuscript, so I'm not going to bug her. I hope she likes it! It's a little dark, but not splatterpunk or anything. I really like that she called you on the third day like she promised. That really marks a solid, professional future. How exciting!! *sends along electronic hugs* lol