PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question

AllyWoof
03-24-2008, 07:41 PM
How old are teens when they go away to work a summer job for the first time?

Moon Daughter
03-24-2008, 07:45 PM
Where I live, kids as young as 14 can get a regular job. Personally, however, my first real job was when I was 11.

AllyWoof
03-24-2008, 07:47 PM
Okay. How old are summer camp/beach club workers? Somewhere between 16 and 18?

Shadow_Ferret
03-24-2008, 07:47 PM
How old are teens when they go away to work a summer job for the first time?
What do you mean by "go away?"

Teens can't get a job here until they're 16. Years ago they could get a newspaper route at 12, but adults with cars have sucked up all those jobs.

AllyWoof
03-24-2008, 07:49 PM
Go away as in the place they are working is far enough away from their childhood home that they rent a house near it, in lieu of driving back and forth all the time.

Shadow_Ferret
03-24-2008, 07:53 PM
Go away as in the place they are working is far enough away from their childhood home that they rent a house near it, in lieu of driving back and forth all the time.
That I have no idea on. I think that's up to the parents, but even then, I'm thinking maybe 17. That's when you can join the military with your parents permission.

AllyWoof
03-24-2008, 08:03 PM
Teens can't get a job here until they're 16. Years ago they could get a newspaper route at 12, but adults with cars have sucked up all those jobs. In Georgia, even "adults with cars" can't find jobs. All the illegal allians are getting them.

I'm thinking maybe 17. Yeah. I was leaning towards that, also.

Harper K
03-24-2008, 08:09 PM
When I went to summer camp (here in the great state o' Georgia), I remember that some of the youngest counselors and assistants were 16 and 17. They lived at camp during the week, and sometimes went home on the weekends. Most of the counselors were college students, but there were always a few younger ones every year. This was back in the early '90s, so it's possible that things have changed a bit since then.

I got my first job at age 15. I answered phones at the engineering firm where my mom worked. I wish I'd done the camp counselor thing at some point; 15 was way too young to start acquiring a "business casual" wardrobe.

mada
03-24-2008, 08:30 PM
I was 16 the first summer that I worked at a girls' camp. For kitchen staff, you could be 16 but you had to be 18 and through your first year of college to be a counselor.

mada
03-24-2008, 08:33 PM
What do you mean by "go away?"

Teens can't get a job here until they're 16. Years ago they could get a newspaper route at 12, but adults with cars have sucked up all those jobs.

Here in Madison we'll have a bunch of kids who DO have routes learning the hard lesson of lay-offs in about a month! I think that companies are going to more motor routes as well as dealing with low readership and that hurts the kids' ability to make a few bucks. I had my first route when I was 9, my mom had to have everything in her name.

Arisa81
03-25-2008, 03:36 AM
I think it depends on the place and the camp itself. If they were to work at a summercamp though, they would likely actually stay at the camp with the kids. So they wouldn't need to rent an apt.

At a beach club, I don't know. You could always just have it (in you story) that accomodations are provided with the job. Like maybe a group of them shares an apt. or whatnot. Just an idea. :)

I would say 16 or 17 years old.

AllyWoof
03-25-2008, 03:43 AM
Thanks.