• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

This first draft is so frustrating. ARGGGGGGGH >:-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
:rant:Every day, I want to write something and when I sit down in the chair to start writing, I just stare at the screen for hours. Knowing that I can't get any thoughts on paper, I just check emails, and come back. I couldn't write. I'm just staring at the last sentence. What to write next? It's irritating. I swear.:rant:

:cry:
I have written 30,000 words and on the 98th page. Chapter 8/18-25

I'm 33% done with the work.

I want to finish, but I'm having a hard time writing.

Whether it's Writer's Block, Sagging Middles, Unfinished Work Syndrome(I tried googling it, nothing.). HELP! :(

What's the problem with me? How can I fix this? How can i prevent this from happening again?

HELP! This 5 hours of screen staring is driving me crazy!!!!:Soapbox:

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Blue, I know everyone around here says to do BIC (Butt in Chair), however, I find that when I'm really, really stuck somewhere with the story, taking a few days off from writing to just think about the story helps a lot. Avoid the internet if you can during those days, and go to some new places even if that's just visiting a park, restaurant or shopping mall you don't normally frequent.

Sometimes the story just needs a little space to sort itself out in our brains, without so much pressure. If you want to write something, try freewriting or interviewing your characters. Be sure to ask them what happens next. They might surprise you with a juicy plot twist. Or they may be refusing to cooperate because they dislike some part of the story you've already written.

Good luck.

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
When you get back on track after this point, try this: When you've finished for the day do a mental inventory of what you did. Even if it was only a thousand words or so, go back and re-read it. Then type out a few quick ideas on where you're going with the story from there. It doesn't make any difference if they seem sane or crazy at that time, just do it. Three or four will do.

Then, when you come back to write again, you have a quick reference to motivate you on what comes next in the WIP. Make it a habit and you'll have an easier time for the few seconds it takes.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Sometimes you just have to sit down and write crap. If you're staring at the screen unable to come up with something "good," just write whatever crap scene comes to mind. Maybe you'll generate 500 words, maybe a 1,000. When you're finished, at least something will be down. And out of those thousand words of crap, there might be gold buried in there, whether it's a character revelation or great plot point. Or maybe even a great piece of dialogue.

Just write. Something will come of it. Even if you have to cut most of it. It's better than nothing.

allen

WannabeWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Just write no matter how it turns out. Writing from scratch is much harder than editing text that is already there, so don't expect great words on the first pass. :)

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I find this is because I'm too far ahead of myself. I have to edit as I go and this means I need to re-read fom the start. I'm in that phase now, myself.

Constantine K

Registered
Reaction score
Good advice so far. Taking a few days off to just let the story mellow in your brain is a fabulous idea. If you don't want to wait, though . . .

Drop a huge bomb in your story that will shake things up. It might just be a character being killed off, or something along those lines, but it will give you a "jump start," if you will.

You may end up cutting it out in the end, but in the meantime it should reinvigorate your work and give you some new plot ideas.

Also, it's a good idea to ask yourself: "What is my story really about? What am I trying to say?" I don't mean theme-wise, I mean what made you want to write the story in the first place.

Maui Author

Halfway between here and there
Registered
Reaction score
That happens to me too and when it does, I look at the clock and set a time limit. Say it is 3pm, I say that I will type til 4pm, even if what I write sucks. But just so I can get an hour of writing done and feel like the project is moving.

And it works! Just by setting that time goal, I work for the hour! And then I don't feel stuck anymore.

Mythica

Expert Gerbil Wrangler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.courtneyallisonmoulton.com
Put it away and pull out another WIP or start something new :) If I get stuck somewhere, that's what I do. That way, you're not really wasting time and you're giving yourself something fresh to look at. Everyone needs a bit of change once and a while. Good luck!

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
I second the "go away and do something else" suggestions. I like to go and do something repetitive, like laps of the pool, or mowing the lawn. Something that will cause your brain to "switch off" the activity and "switch on" your creative brain.

Have a conversation with your character (whether inside the safety of your head, or out loud - who am I to judge?) Think about how they would do the activity that you are doing. Think about other situations, not necessarily in your WIP, and how your characters would react to those. Sometimes, stuff pops up just by doing this, for me.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Work out and play video games, that's my motto.

Or if I'm in a world conquering mood, wrangle some freinds together for a game of Dust (my latest boardgame. Like Risk, but...better). Anything that makes you think, you'll find your brain thinking of other things. Like...your story.

I was actually walking home when I realized what had been sticking in my story and making it not progress. It was a real "aha" moment, quite cool.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I find it helpful to fill in what I want to happen in a chapter if I can't write it.

As in:

Chapter 18

In this chapter, Ariadne tells Derek that she loves him. Derek shows his wishy-washy nature in his response. Meanwhile, Bruno and Leon are searching Professor Wilson's office for the treasure map. We learn more about the history of the two burglars, and why Leon never gets angry at Bruno's taunts (long friendship dating back to their childhood working for a sadistic master thief). Professor Wilson's office is described in some detail: work in the first mention of the silver spyglass of Jean Lafitte (though neither Bruno nor Leon know what it is). End with a cliffhanger--will Charlotte Wilson discover Bruno and Leon ransacking her mother's office?

Sometimes just listing what you want to happen in a chapter opens the door and lets the words out.

Feathers

emerging from the writing cave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.headdeskforwriters.blogspot.com
The first thing I try when I'm stuck like this is BIC. If that doesn't work, I take a few days off, thinking, being bored, listening to new music and people watching. Stuff to inspire my creative juices and get me pondering about my story. If THAT doesn't work (and it usually does) I go and try what Constantine K suggested, the whole bomb-drop, what original idea got my story going? thing.

And finally, If I'm still stuck, I try outlining, or writing a synopsis/query. By trying to summarize my story it really makes me think about the way I'm doing things and how good they look. In the act of writing my query, I often come up with something to fix my block.

Some great advice on this thread. I hope it helps you get over your block :)

-Feathers

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
BIDC (Butt in Different Chair) works well for me. I move my laptop all around the house, and if I'm in a "zone" I might keep the location for a few days. If things are really going bad, I go with paper and pen out back in the hammock (BIH). Or a coffee shop (BICS), or writing somewhere I've never been (BISINB).

So try switching it up. Or go for a long walk and think about your plot. Hope this helps. :)

Nicole

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
It's probably not writer's block. It's probably more likely that you're pushing your boundaries of knowledge, which would be expected. So let me ask this question: Have you introduced any subplots into the story yet? If not, introduce one now.

Charlie Horse

Speaking in metaphors
Registered
Reaction score
Website
imablogginghorse.blogspot.com
Sometimes you just have to sit down and write crap. If you're staring at the screen unable to come up with something "good," just write whatever crap scene comes to mind. Maybe you'll generate 500 words, maybe a 1,000. When you're finished, at least something will be down. And out of those thousand words of crap, there might be gold buried in there, whether it's a character revelation or great plot point. Or maybe even a great piece of dialogue.

Just write. Something will come of it. Even if you have to cut most of it. It's better than nothing.

allen

What he said.

writer friend

Registered
Reaction score
Please feel encouraged! You've written 30,000 words. You're creative! Every type of genius has a little "shadow" side to it. Musicians have their particular problems, so do writers. I agree with several people who suggest finding a different location, temporarily, to write. If you are lucky enough to own a lap top, great. If not, yellow legal pad and pen can go anywhere. Fall in love with your characters all over again. If you have a VERY VERY trusted and positive type friend, can you get a copy of a chapter or two to that person? Even so, don't listen if they tell you to start over. DON'T. This may sound odd, but I don't give chapters even to trusted friends if there responses are too negative the first time I show them something. Yes, I want their opinions, but please, be gentle! Enjoy the weather if it's nice. Find inspiration in other works in the same genre that you enjoyed and ask yourself "why did I love that movie or book?" But this is your work. Feel good about all the work you've done. Many people NEVER get that far and quit at twenty pages. Writing is like giving birth: all good things take time, gentle care, and appreciation. A wonderful lady at a 50th, yes, 50th H.S. reunion I attended with a family member had come through all sorts of hard times. She looked twenty years younger than anyone there though! I asked her her secret and she said, "I always just told myself 'You can do it!" I kept repeating it each time I had a challenge and the words were like magic." I think positive vibes are truly contagious! And I believe that you too, can do it!
Wishing you all the best.
Writer Friend

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Granted, there's a lot to be said for encouragement.

Blue can only do it if she stops 'frittering about' and concentrates upon 'doing' it, as encouraged to do. She should forget about posting every chapter of this work-in-progress on the net as soon it is written. Doing so gets her no useful feedback.

On the contrary, she has no end of encouragement here and never-ending advice - usually on the same topics.

Blue - take a break from staring at the screen. Inspiration doesn't come from a screen -it comes from within yourself.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I find it helpful to fill in what I want to happen in a chapter if I can't write it.

Sometimes just listing what you want to happen in a chapter opens the door and lets the words out.

Excellent advice. I do this kind of focused freewriting all the time. Often I'll do a paragraph of it just before quitting for the day, so I'll have a prompt to get me into the next day's writing. I put the paragraph in caps; for me, the capitalization means I'm going into a different mode, a sort of thinking-out-loud writing..

For example:

OKAY. NEXT THING THAT WILL HAPPEN IS EDDY WILL DISCOVER SHOGGOTH SLIME UNDER HER BED, WHICH CAN'T BE A GOOD SIGN, AND SEAN WILL CONFESS THAT HE'S BEEN TRYING OUT NEW SPELLS FROM THE NECRONOMICON, AND EDDY WILL FREAK. WHERE'S RACHEL? BRUTUS EATS SHOGGOTH SLIME?

If I was stuck in the midst of a section, I might write:

ARGH, I CANT BELIEVE THIS CRAP JESUS PLEASE GIVE ME AN IDEA JUST ONE IDEA ABOUT HOW YOU GET SHOGGOTH SLIME OUT OF ORIENTAL CARPET OKAY THIS MUST HAVE BEEN A PROBLEM FOR THE MEDIEVAL ARAB ALCHEMISTS SO SEAN WILL GO BACK TO THE NECRONOMICON AND FIND A POTION TO LIFT SHOG STAINS AND EDDY WILL DEFREAK ENOUGH FOR THEM TO DISCUSS THEIR NEXT MOVE AND MAYBE BRUTUS WILL BARF

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Did you do any of the writing exercise homework I gave you? Sometimes writing to prompts on short exercises will start the flow of words for the WIP. Do some writing exercises, it will free up the words.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Since people are giving awesome fundamental-level suggestions, this should be in BWQ to help other people too. So, moved.

-Shweta

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I like BIDC when I'm stuck. Usually I'm chained to my laptop in the family room, but sometimes I'll grab a notebook and go outside, or treat myself to a nice working lunch, or go to a bookstore or whatever and do a little work there. It may not end up being on my WIP, but it always ends up generating new ideas for something else at the very least.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
OKAY. NEXT THING THAT WILL HAPPEN IS EDDY WILL DISCOVER SHOGGOTH SLIME UNDER HER BED, WHICH CAN'T BE A GOOD SIGN,

<snip>

HOW YOU GET SHOGGOTH SLIME OUT OF ORIENTAL CARPET OKAY THIS MUST HAVE BEEN A PROBLEM FOR THE MEDIEVAL ARAB ALCHEMISTS SO SEAN WILL GO BACK TO THE NECRONOMICON AND FIND A POTION TO LIFT SHOG STAINS

Greatest idea I've seen in a week, Phael. Should be a horror-comedy starring [female name here] who runs the "Out, Damned Spot" cleaning service, specializing in eradication of Elder God scat and Shoggoth slime. No extra charge for shredding any stray sheet music of Erich Zann.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I like IceCreamEmpress' Idea. Why didn't I think of that? I think I oughta try it.

Also, subplots. Linda, do you also mean fillers? I don't think I have any of those. I feel that I am too focused on writing scenes relevant to the story. It's like everything I write has to be significant. Like, if my main character found a spoon. I put that spoon there for a reason. When you write the reader assumes that the spoon is important. Everything I write seems to only foreshadow.

Status
Not open for further replies.