• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Is there a name for this syndrome?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, everyone, Happy Easter!

I'm having a problem, and thought I might find some suggestions here on how to get rid of it - because it's driving me nuts!

I have been unable to write this week (spring break). It's really hard to concentrate when a) spongebob and patrick are arguing in my ear
b) timi turner is making ridiculous wishes or c) my seven-year-old is nagging me to play a game or go outside and d) I have to comply or feel guilty.

But then I go to bed at night, unable to stare at a blank computer screen, and my characters won't shut up!

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
WMS, Whirling Mind Syndrome, brought upon by RLS, Real Life Syndrome. A fatal combination that can lead to muttering in your sleep and angry accusations in the morning.

-Derek

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
It's called the every-writer-has-it syndrome. Truly. It typically comes in fits and spurts, with no one remedy, though it can clear up on its own for some. If only there were some immunization available...

Good luck! :)

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Make use of that syndrome! Write out scenes and chapters in your head. Let your characters speak, and force them into situations just to see how they will react. If you can't fall asleep, make good use of the time and your whirling mind.

I write primarily non-fiction, but I enjoy "writing" articles in my mind as I fall asleep. Granted I won't remember it verbatum the next day, but enough sticks with me to give me a jump start the next morning. Sometimes it sparks totally new ideas in the dark of the night too.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
The schools have way too many breaks these days.

Nevertheless, get back in front of that blank screen and free-write about your characters, fast as you can. Don't worry about making sense. Butt in chair, fingers moving, those are your goals.

You may be surprised what you produce.

tyciol

Registered
Reaction score
This doesn't seem like a syndrome, it's nothing on your part. You are not able to think inthe midst of distractions, and able to think when free of them. It seems straightforward, that you need some quiet time alone to write. Parenting can often interfere with work in this way, we assume we can write and parent at the same time, but sometimes focus and being able to withdraw into our thoughts can be very valuable.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
i write best from 5 a.m. to 7 a.m. picked up this habit years ago when my kids were at home. still do it 3-4 weekdays. after work i am buzzing w/ work stuff. i use my evenings to edit and revise but pure creation needs concentration and quiet. once you start you will be amazed at how much you crave the quiet time--best part of the day--s6

Daehota

Registered
Reaction score
It's hard being a writer with a life, sissybaby.

I take care of my elderly mother and I run the household. There are always other "more important" things to do. So be it. I steal the time when I can. No set schedule. Sometimes its early morning, sometimes it's the afternoon, sometimes it's late at night.

And I can relate to those characters screaming at you. It's happening to me right now!

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
I think everyone goes through this to some extent, when real life gets in the way of writing. Here's a couple of suggestions:

You can get up early/stay up late and write while kiddos are sleeping.

Plan an activity for your kid(s) for an hour during the day, and let them know during that hour, it's your time to write (if your kids are old enough, I'd say five or older).

Or you can jot down the wonderful ideas you have for your story and then go play, relax and enjoy your time with your kids, knowing spring break is only a week long, and your characters, impatient as they may be, can wait.

Hope that helps.

Me, I can write with the cartoons blaring. I've written a chapter before, while my boy played his guitar (no, he doesn't know how to actually play) and my daughter braided my hair. I'm blessed with the tune-out button. But if you're not, just relax and you'll find a way to work it all in without the guilt.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone for the helpful, and humorous, responses. School is back in session as of this a.m. Now after another sleepless night, my mind is sharp and I'm ready to go. And you'll notice what I'm doing instead of writing! AAAGH!

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Write or don't. It's when the food and lights start disappearing that it becomes necessity. ;)

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Writing with a cat on your shoulders, your lap, or sleeping on the keyboard is a bit more of a challenge.

My partner took off the keys to get the cathairs out and now her keyboard won't work... >^..^<

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
jst5150 - if only - which translates to "if only I were actually getting paid to write, I'd be writing my brains out!"

Heron - that's hilarious, since it's not my keyboard. One of my cats (I have two inside the house) sits between me and the screen when she doesn't want me to write, and only occasionally walks across the keyboard.

But, I am actually writing today! So yay, me! Of course, when I go back and read it I may have to undo it all, but I took the advice and just started making myself write.

Thanks again to everyone.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Or, we could all take turns and stand over you with a whip in one hand and a chocolate cupcake in the other, making you think you'd get the cupcake but... oh, nevahmind :}

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Writing with a cat on your shoulders, your lap, or sleeping on the keyboard is a bit more of a challenge. >^..^<
I hear ya! Better yet, what about a cat who stalks you, just waiting for you to get up, and who then promptly steals your nice, warm seat? When I get back, he looks so comfy-cozy that I feel like a slug for moving him.

mada

Getting back in the groove
Registered
Reaction score
i write best from 5 a.m. to 7 a.m. picked up this habit years ago when my kids were at home. still do it 3-4 weekdays. after work i am buzzing w/ work stuff. i use my evenings to edit and revise but pure creation needs concentration and quiet. once you start you will be amazed at how much you crave the quiet time--best part of the day--s6

But, but, that's so early!!!! Honestly, I wonder if anyone has advice for transforming into a morning person. If I could get out of bed, I'd be doing great, but I'm a snoozeaholic!

DoctorShade

Registered
Reaction score
I wish they had morning-person-pills, if I got up at 5am I could have so much alone time and the peace and quiet might be just what I need to write. I also think best in the morning but my motivation is at an all time minimum. However I'd probably just turn on The Today Show and get distracted with the beatiful Meredith Vierra delivering the morning news.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Oh! You must have one of those "life" thingies people keep telling me to go out and get..

inkkognito

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
It can be just as effective to be a night owl. I have nice, undisturbed time between midnight and 2, although I don't like staying up that late because then I sleep in too late. But when I get on a roll, it happens.

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
I think dpaterso has it right! Real life doesn't make allowances for anything. Murphy's Law applies here in a sort of mutated way. If you really WANT to do something, something you enjoy, something important to you, the youngest child will always get a boo-boo on her knee or the other little one will ask a question that needs answering immediately. The best treatment for Wandering Mind Syndrome brought on by Real Life Syndrome (quoting dpaterso) is to jot down enough notes to appease the phantoms from your fiction, have a nice glass of wine, and get some shut eye. Real Life can pop up at any moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.