Themes + Length

Gimpy

Registered
Reaction score
Themes

I didn't see any other threads on this, so I thought I would start a new one. I will be writing along with the contestants for my own enjoyment even if I do not get into the top 10, but I was wondering...

Has there been any talk of what the themes will be? Are you taking suggestions? Have you already decided on the themes?

Cheesy Romance Novel night: Bonus points if the writing is laughably cheesy.

Magical Realism: Really good style of writing. It is pretty much modern fairy tales where magic is taken as real and no one in the stories question the strange things that happen. It could be called Fantasy, but Fantasy seems to only be tied to elves and dragons in today's literature.

Horror: This is a must. Horror is such fun to write.

Anyone else?

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
A how-to of something silly (like, "how to tie a shoe," or "how to eat a cheesecake.")

spaghetti western

from an odd POV (a dog, an egg, a rubber band)

a coming-of-age

a fake "true confessions"

a tabloid article

Ooh, I'd love to see improv. Impossible, I know, unless it was later in the competition, when it was easier to get a few people to show up at the same time. Jenna posts a word/phrase/whatever, and the competitors have a time limit to write about it.

BlakeOvard

duck, duck, GOOSE!
Registered
Reaction score
Now based in Texas, living the western life.
Website
www.blakeovard.com
I think Jenna gets to choose...

Though I'm sure she wouldn't mind a few ideas being thrown into the mix, I'd bet that she already has some fun doozies up her sleave for this.

That being said, I'd like to add some sort of fake interview with someone from history told in a very non-judgmental newspaper journalistic style. The more extreme the prospective interviewee the better. (ie. how could you interview Hitler, Stalin, Ghengis Khan, or any of the major religions central figure objectively?)

Along those same threads, perhaps a bit of alternate history. (ie. what if the South had won the Civil War, or what if the French Revolution hadn't quite gone off as it did, and the Aristocrats routed the peasant population, or what if someone famous had never been born?)

One last one...
A day in your life.

I think any of those could be fun.

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
blakeovard said:
Along those same threads, perhaps a bit of alternate history. (ie. what if the South had won the Civil War, or what if the French Revolution hadn't quite gone off as it did, and the Aristocrats routed the peasant population, or what if someone famous had never been born?)
Did somebody just take the SAT essay? :D

BlakeOvard

duck, duck, GOOSE!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blakeovard.com
firehorse said:
Did somebody just take the SAT essay? :D

LOL. No, but I can see where you might think of that.

SAT ... that was one of those things I did oh so many years ago when in High School, I think. If I remember correctly, (and it is a hazy, polluted film that I must remember through, as it seems to cover things so far in the past) I was hung over that Saturday morning, being that I had something to celebrate Friday night. (Probably something decidedly un-monumental) Did they actually have something cool like that on the SAT?! :confused: Boy, do I wish I had paid more attention!

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
I had chicken pox and had to take the SAT late in another school district.

In fact, I'm one of those lucky people who got chicken pox twice-- once when I was 2, once when I was 16.

(Boy, that was random trivia.)

Yes, I'm quite open to suggestions for themes. :)

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Anyone ever read "Happenstance"? From one side, the book opens and it's a wife's take on three days. Open the book from the other side, and its the husband's take on the same three days. I'd see a theme that forced men to write about what they've complained women write about too much (chic lit, woes of housewives), and women write about whatever it is men write about too much (conspiracy plots, murder, killing their wives - actually, I'm not sure what that would be - men, any suggestions of what you'd like to see women try to get into that you think we otherwise avoid or criticize you for focusing on too often?)

ShadowGuide

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.votrevray.blogspot.com
westers, confessions and smut, ohmy!

DeadlyAccurate said:
A how-to of something silly (like, "how to tie a shoe," or "how to eat a cheesecake.")

spaghetti western

from an odd POV (a dog, an egg, a rubber band)

a coming-of-age

a fake "true confessions"

a tabloid article

Ooh, I'd love to see improv. Impossible, I know, unless it was later in the competition, when it was easier to get a few people to show up at the same time. Jenna posts a word/phrase/whatever, and the competitors have a time limit to write about it.

:Smack: With a list like that, I'd be happy to NOT make the finals! (Not that I think I have a change in Hades' homeland...just voicing how hard it would be to do some of these well.)

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
mommie4a said:
men, any suggestions of what you'd like to see women try to get into that you think we otherwise avoid or criticize you for focusing on too often?)

Hmmmm.....

Beer, sports and naked coed mud-wrestling. (Thanks maestro!)

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and fast cars and fast women....

ShadowGuide

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.votrevray.blogspot.com
you're an odd one...

robeiae said:
How about 17th Century Florentine woodworking?

Rob
:Wha:

Odd as you are, I mean, this suggestion is, I think I might be able to come up with something on this topic. Guess that shows how odd I am. C'est la vie! (Translation for non-French speakers: Such is life/That's life. <- And for those of you who are just getting to know me, the hidden text is: I feel so at home with you guys! Thanks!) :tongue

BlakeOvard

duck, duck, GOOSE!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blakeovard.com
WhisperingBard said:
Do the finalists have to be able to cook and tap dance, too? Oy. :Smack:

I would say that SHOULD be a requirement... as well as being able to completely sing and dance all scenes of West Side Story, all while being able to write their piece for the week, doing the laundry, making several phone calls, curing cancer, and fixing any errant broken down tractor trailer rigs that come their way! :D

WhisperingBard

Wary...and weary
Registered
Reaction score
I would say that SHOULD be a requirement... as well as being able to completely sing and dance all scenes of West Side Story, all while being able to write their piece for the week, doing the laundry, making several phone calls, curing cancer, and fixing any errant broken down tractor trailer rigs that come their way!

Ooh, wait, wait! We forgot brain surgery! Every good writer should be able to pull that one off! :ROFL:

BlakeOvard

duck, duck, GOOSE!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blakeovard.com
WhisperingBard said:
Ooh, wait, wait! We forgot brain surgery! Every good writer should be able to pull that one off! :ROFL:

:banana: Well, I was going to include that, but I just thought that went without saying. I guess I need to ALSO include such simple things as creating world peace, and eliminating all debts both public and private. Geeez, I just have to get so simple sometimes...

WhisperingBard

Wary...and weary
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I need to ALSO include such simple things as creating world peace, and eliminating all debts both public and private.

Well, okay, now you've done it. You just eliminated me. See, I could handle the public debt side of things, but my private debt is kind of iffy... :cry:

blakeovard, you'll have to carry on alone. Do us proud. :Trophy:

Sonya

Registered
Reaction score
I'd say you all have comedy

covered right here on the board. LOL at these posts!

How about a theme on seeing a spaceship or the Elvis...oh..wait..someone covered that in tabloid. : 0 )

Sonya

SRHowen

Erotica is not a four letter word!
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, a tabloid article would be fun. Something really whacky.

Nose picking man removes own brain: Doctors replace brain in amazing surgery. Photos inside.

Last edited:

Sonya

Registered
Reaction score
Tabloid

Saw one at a checkout line some months ago "Aliens are here for our Krispy Kremes!" So that's why those donut stores have been disappearing.............

Sonya

wurdwise

Banned
Reaction score
doctor_guy.gif
Brain surgery,anyone?