Dumb Question Regarding Amputees in Movies/TV

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
How do they take a two-legged/two-armed person and then make them look like they've lost a limb?

I have a character that loses her leg and I'm curious how they're planning to get someone beautiful enough to play her but with one leg. LOL.

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
Rent the movie AI if you don't have it and there is one of those behind scene clips. Alot of the robots that are missing parts have that part of their body wrapped in blue screen so on film they look like they are missing limbs.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
In AI, for one of the scenes with the multiple mechas with missing limbs, they actually used people missing arms and legs. I think either most or all were real amputees.

In Forrest Gump, Gary Sinise wore a colored scarf around his leg. In post production, it was CGI'd out. (NOTE: When I first saw clips from Forrest Gump, not knowing who Gary Sinise was, I asked, where did they find the amputee actor to play that guy?)

The same with Planet Terror. Rose McGowan wore a blue cast over leg (so she couldn't bend it). In post, the leg was CGI'd to look like a machine gun.

allen

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
In older days it was usually done using holes (See for example Barry Lyndon), the magic of editing or trying to hid it with clothes

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
The poor chap who played Toulouse Lautrec in the 1940s/50s movie had to shuffle round on his knees with his legs tied up behind him somehow!

There is a very low budget SF movie which features a man with no feet. When I first saw the film (name now forgotten, but it involved time travelling scientists) I thought "Wow! How did they manage the special effects to do that?" Then I thought "Hang on, this film didn't have the budget to do that." Sure enough, the actor really had no feet, and hobbled around on his bare ankles for the film. I read later that he ran marathons in his spare time.

PleaseMay

Registered
Reaction score
In older days it was usually done using holes (See for example Barry Lyndon), the magic of editing or trying to hid it with clothes

This is exactly what I was going to say. This is correct.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
The poor chap who played Toulouse Lautrec in the 1940s/50s movie had to shuffle round on his knees with his legs tied up behind him somehow!

I believe this is also how John Leguizamo played Toulouse in Moulin Rouge.

The Forrest Gump effects for Gary Sinise still amaze me today, though.