• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Question about publishing, sort of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.starrydollz.com
Right-o. Say you write a big, long story, and you publish it on a website like fictionpress, fictioncentral, etc.

Then, a year or so down the line, you decide you want to have it published in a book.

Would that be possible? To have had it published on the web, then to suddenly decide you want it in a book?

I hope this is in the right forum >_<

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
my humble opinion

When you say, "you decide you want to have it published in a book" -- what do you mean? A self-published book? Or do you mean, for example, submitting your story to an anthology?

Most editors insist that submitted material must not have appeared anywhere -- including internet venues. They're paying for first rights, not reprint rights. If you submit your story to anyone without being open about this, and they find out, they'd be well within their legal rights to ask for their money back -- plus, editors talk to each other, you could be screwing your own career.

-Derek

Shanster

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.starrydollz.com
I mean submitting to an editor, etc. :]
It's not something I plan on doing, but it's a question that came to my head a few days ago and it just wouldn't leave me alone. Thanks for clearing that up ^_^

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
There are some publishers that don't mind if it's previously been on the internet. I think the Macmillan New Authors scheme explicitly states that they're happy to accept books that have been online.

ETA: From here
Do you accept submissions from authors whose work has previously been self-published, ‘vanity’ published or electronically published?

Yes.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I think it depends if it's the whole thing or an excerpt. Many people have excerpts of their stories online, like on their professional websites and something, so I'm guessing if you had the first chapter up, it wouldn't hurt.

The whole thing?

That's when it gets risky, I think.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not so sure about that - that quote doesn't explicitly say they will 'accept books that have been on-line'.

There are some publishers that don't mind if it's previously been on the internet. I think the Macmillan New Authors scheme explicitly states that they're happy to accept books that have been online.

ETA: From here

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Do you accept submissions from authors whose work has previously been self-published, ‘vanity’ published or electronically published?

Yes.
To me, that says they'll accept submissions from authors who haven't been tradionally published -- not that they'll accept material that has already been published.

-Derek

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
--And I'm back! Sorry, I had to go look up how to spell traditionally

-Derek

Status