PDA

View Full Version : How to handle trademarks in nf books

JosephR
03-22-2008, 06:15 AM
I'm writing a nf book (parenting/education/psychology) which uses trademarked names. Some have suggested that whenever a trademarked name is used, a trademark symbol should also be used to indicate it's a trademarked name. Of all the psychology books I've read, I don't recall seeing a trademark symbol used, and I can't remember ever seeing a trademark symbol used in newspaper articles. Does anyone have any knowledge about this? Is this something the publisher (if it gets picked up) would take care of? I'm also interested in knowing how to handle this in the event that I end up self-publishing. I guess the safe option would be to have an attorney vet the book. Any ideas?

tombookpub
03-22-2008, 06:21 AM
The editor I'm working with stated these symbols are optional. As a result, I'm not planning to include these.
Others may have different thoughts.

johnrobison
03-22-2008, 06:27 AM
First, you should generally capitalize trademarked names. So it's Pepsi or Dumpster, for example. I recommend you do that throughout the work. With respect to TM and other symbols, your publisher will have a policy on this, and they will normally implement it when doing their final edits.

K1P1
03-22-2008, 06:02 PM
My publisher also does not include the circled R for registered trademark or the TM in book text. They say it's not necessary.

JosephR
03-22-2008, 06:41 PM
Thanks to all of you for your input. It seems that capitalizing trademarked names without using the symbol seems to be the norm. It makes sense. Having trademark symbols scattered throughout the text would be aesthetically unpleasant. Thanks again for all your help.

inkkognito
03-24-2008, 08:02 AM
When I worked in corporate communications, our company's policy was to use the TM symbol only with the first instance of each trademark, as well as capitalization; after that, capitalization was used in subsequent instances. The same policy applied to our website. I don't think I've ever seen TM used in non-fiction books, tho'...just capitalization.

JosephR
03-24-2008, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the additional info, Ink.