PDA

View Full Version : Beer or Chardonnay

JJ Cooper
03-21-2008, 03:05 PM
Disclaimer to start - I always promote responsible drinking of alcohol.

Now that's out of the way - what do you prefer, beer of wine (I said Chardonnay in the title because it sounds cooler than wine)?

Me - beer. But, I do enjoy a good white to mix it up. And as Perks knows, I love my Port.

My beer fridge is always full with my standard 'mid-strength' beer and a couple of bottles of white. I also carry some of the expensive 'posh' beers in case of visitors. Especially Crown Lager.

I'm always looking to add to the collection with an overseas brand for conversation sake. Any suggestion from the gallery - be it beer or wine?

Remember kids - please drink responsibly when you are of the legal age. Too many bad things happen when your pissed. It's not cool to be a drunk idiot.

JJ

donroc
03-21-2008, 03:15 PM
Wine when I dine a la Lechter.

Mandy-Jane
03-21-2008, 03:21 PM
My main choice of alcohol is wine - red wine. Except for bubbly red. Can't stand it and can't understand why anyone would drink it. Bubbles do not mix with red wine. I occasionally have a white, but mostly if someone offers me a wine, I'll have a red.

I love beer. I used to be a big VB drinker, but after a few years of being pregnant and having kids and not drinking so much, I tend to be more suited to light beer now. I like most beers except Ales. A bit too flavoursome and full on for me.

I don't know much about overseas wines or beers. Still working my way through our own!

Inky
03-21-2008, 03:32 PM
Zinfandel wine
If red wine, then only from an Italian vinyard I frequent when in Austria and I decide to go for a little drive...

I only like an ice cold beer after working on the garden all day...and then must be Michelob Dark...

writin52
03-21-2008, 03:35 PM
Fruit wines from the Niagara region or my own cranberry liqueur over ice.

oswann
03-21-2008, 03:36 PM
For someone in France this thread is profane. It's like asking if someone likes motorcycles or carrots. Not only are there no two wines alike there are no two wines from the same villlage in France which are alike. To compare all of them to 'beer' is...well...I think I need to lie down.

Os.

Mandy-Jane
03-21-2008, 03:45 PM
For someone in France this thread is profane. It's like asking if someone likes motorcycles or carrots. Not only are there no two wines alike there are no two wines from the same villlage in France which are alike. To compare all of them to 'beer' is...well...I think I need to lie down.

You're not a wine snob, are you?

JJ Cooper
03-21-2008, 03:49 PM

Os.

This is a great response. Because, I truly don't understands- being in Aus and all.

JJ

JJ Cooper
03-21-2008, 03:50 PM
You're not a wine snob, are you?

Broncos won tonight, MJ.

JJ

JJ Cooper
03-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Zinfandel wine
If red wine, then only from an Italian vinyard I frequent when in Austria and I decide to go for a little drive...

I only like an ice cold beer after working on the garden all day...and then must be Michelob Dark...

Snob. (pokes tongue). How's the knee?

JJ

Mandy-Jane
03-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Broncos won tonight, MJ.

JJ

And the Swans are gonna' win tomorrow night.

JJ Cooper
03-21-2008, 03:55 PM
And the Swans are gonna' win tomorrow night.

We're going to have to get together when the Swans play the Lions.

JJ

Mumut
03-21-2008, 03:57 PM
When I was drinking, a few years ago now, I enjoyed Guiness. I'd been started on it at the age of seven to treat my anaemia. I gravitated to single malt whiskey in my early teens and I've always enjoyed that. So I'd actually suggest Glenfiddich instead of beer or wine. And drink it properly. Don't drink it with anything added. If you're thirsty, drink water separately. Then come back to the pure whiskey.

Mandy-Jane
03-21-2008, 04:03 PM
We're going to have to get together when the Swans play the Lions.

JJ

Round 3 - 5th April. I'll bet you your favourite beer or wine that Sydney will win!

JJ Cooper
03-21-2008, 04:06 PM
Round 3 - 5th April. I'll bet you your favourite beer or wine that Sydney will win!

If it's in Brisbane, I'll pay for the tickets - as long as you pay the hotel.

JJ

Mandy-Jane
03-21-2008, 04:16 PM
If it's in Brisbane, I'll pay for the tickets - as long as you pay the hotel.

JJ

Hmmm. Brisbane Budget Motel Chain sound okay?

tjwriter
03-21-2008, 04:22 PM
Back to the original question, I typically prefer a sweet or semi-sweet red wine, but I'll try just about anything once.

If I'm drinking beer, I prefer something a little dark, but my current preference is Sam Adams Cherry Wheat Ale.

Robert Toy
03-21-2008, 04:41 PM
What's the word? Thunderbird!

Also good for cleaning/degreasing your car's engine.

kristie911
03-21-2008, 04:55 PM
I refuse to participate in this thread because I drink neither beer nor wine.

Oops...I just particpated, didn't I?

In that case, I like vodka. Why isn't vodka on the list? :D

oswann
03-21-2008, 05:18 PM
This is a great response. Because, I truly don't understands- being in Aus and all.

JJ

If you understand, why would you pretend you don't? Chardonnay is an encépagement and not an appelation but I guess having any idea about this makes me a snob so I'll leave you to it.

Os.

Sarita
03-21-2008, 05:28 PM
I don't drink much at all, but it totally depends upon the meal or mood.

If it's beer, I want dark or wheaty. If it's wine, it's red, dry, and full bodied. Unless it's a Pinot noir. Then it just has to be good. :)

Last night, I cracked a beer for the first time in a long time. It was a beautiful Russian porter, one I've never tried. Rich, smoky, a little chocolaty, and knocked over within 2 sips by a projectile sippy cup. See why I don't drink? Eh. I didn't need the extra calories anyway.

BenPanced
03-21-2008, 05:29 PM
It's beer for me, please. One of the last times I drank wine, I had only two glasses and the next day, I woke up feeling I'd been hit by a bus.

Devil Ledbetter
03-21-2008, 05:36 PM
I prefer beer. I don't care for champagne at all, but I do like red wines.

EriRae
03-21-2008, 06:06 PM
If I drink any alcohol at all, it's champagne. Moet Chandon. LOVE IT!!! Plus, every time I drink, I have something to celebrate...love, job, friends, novel complete...now for the agent and publisher!!!

Hillary
03-21-2008, 06:18 PM
Wine, wine, and more wine. Though beer is more appropriate in some situations.

So, uh, both?

Perks
03-21-2008, 06:25 PM
And as Perks knows, I love my Port.

And I love you for it.

I usually prefer wine to beer, mostly reds. Big, chewy ones. Which is weird, because when I'm in beer mode, I only like wimpy Mexican or Japanese beer - Tecate and Sapporo specifically.

I also quite love the hard stuff, mixed well with various kitchen ingredients. My latest and greatest concoction is called 'Tequila Perks' and I know it was served up by our very own Nicholas Simon James Hugh Mohammed Woodhouse (aka Nique Zoolio) at least once at his bar, Tantra.

It's a double shot of tequila in a tall glass, half a cup of orange juice, a little less than that of cranberry juice (and not cranberry juice cocktail - that shit is mostly high fructose corn syrup water - use the 100% juice mix, your liver will thank you for it) and fill it to the top with lime seltzer. It is guaranteed to peel the bad mood off you.

donroc
03-21-2008, 06:26 PM
Wine exclusively but nothing carbonated -- except for a subtle bit of spritz in Moselle spátlesen. Mostly reds.

Robert Toy
03-21-2008, 06:35 PM
It's a double shot of tequila in a tall glass, half a cup of orange juice, a little less than that of cranberry juice (and not cranberry juice cocktail - that shit is mostly high fructose corn syrup water - use the 100% juice mix, your liver will thank you for it) and fill it to the top with lime seltzer. It is guaranteed to peel the bad mood off you.
That is tequila abuse!!

Perks
03-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Nope. It's good.

Sarita
03-21-2008, 06:48 PM
That is tequila abuse!!
Throwing tequila down your throat is body abuse. That stuff is aaaaawful!

If I'm drinking, it's a gin with a twist. Thanks.

TrainofThought
03-21-2008, 06:52 PM
It depends on the weather and mood. If I want to feel good fast, I'll have a bottle glass of wine, and on a hot summer day, beer in a cold mug, or a margarita... or a Mojito... or a Malibu and Lemonade... or a Sangria...

tjwriter
03-21-2008, 07:14 PM
I refuse to participate in this thread because I drink neither beer nor wine.

Oops...I just particpated, didn't I?

In that case, I like vodka. Why isn't vodka on the list? :D

I have to agree with Kristie, too. If it's going to be hard liquor, it's vodka. I love that stuff. People make the weirdest faces when I do shots, though.

rhymegirl
03-21-2008, 07:34 PM
Sorry but I absolutely can't stand the taste of beer. And don't like the smell of it either.

But I do like wine. Any kind at all.

nerds
03-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Of the two o.p. choices, beer beer and beer. Ale, porter, stout. But it needs to be well made stuff with some moxie to it. Spaten, Old Speckled Hen, Guinness, and many of the micro brewery offerings, all good stuff.

Most commercial wines make me pay too dearly in terms of headache/unhappy stomach, but I love homemade wines. I make a homemade Elderberry which is probably my favorite, it's a nice dinner wine and doesn't hang one over.

A. Hamilton
03-21-2008, 07:54 PM
I love my red wines but do like beer on occasion as well. I really enjoy ales and darks but unfortunately am allergic to most. (makes me itchy!)
Usually I look for St. Pauli Girl.

kristie911
03-21-2008, 10:24 PM
I have to agree with Kristie, too. If it's going to be hard liquor, it's vodka. I love that stuff. People make the weirdest faces when I do shots, though.

Not me! I'll be right next to you doing shots too! :D

Dawno
03-21-2008, 10:28 PM
like both, depends on circumstances. Red Wine (merlot, shiraz are my favorites)

and just because - Monty Python's Skit on Australian Table Wines:

A lot of people in this country pooh-pooh Australian table wines. This is a pity as many fine Australian wines appeal not only to the Australian palate but also to the cognoscenti of Great Britain.

Black Stump Bordeaux is rightly praised as a peppermint flavoured Burgundy, whilst a good Sydney Syrup can rank with any of the world's best sugary wines.

Château Blue, too, has won many prizes; not least for its taste, and its lingering afterburn.

Old Smokey 1968 has been compared favourably to a Welsh claret, whilst the Australian Wino Society thoroughly recommends a 1970 Coq du Rod Laver, which, believe me, has a kick on it like a mule: eight bottles of this and you're really finished. At the opening of the Sydney Bridge Club, they were fishing them out of the main sewers every half an hour.

Of the sparkling wines, the most famous is Perth Pink. This is a bottle with a message in, and the message is 'beware'. This is not a wine for drinking, this is a wine for laying down and avoiding.

Another good fighting wine is Melbourne Old-and-Yellow, which is particularly heavy and should be used only for hand-to-hand combat.

Quite the reverse is true of Château Chunder, which is an appellation contrôlée, specially grown for those keen on regurgitation; a fine wine which really opens up the sluices at both ends.

Real emetic fans will also go for a Hobart Muddy, and a prize winning Cuivre Reserve Château Bottled Nuit San Wogga Wogga, which has a bouquet like an aborigine's armpit.

Unique
03-26-2008, 04:20 PM
Beer! No wine!

No, wait, Both!
I found some cheap, raspberry Merlot at Wal-Mart (sorry, Os) - tastes great. You can probably just barely call it wine though - but it's sweet and smooth so it works for me. :) I like champagne cuz I love the bubbles.

Beer - gotta be an import. American beer sux rocks. There are some decent new, heck... what do you call them? Anyway - Blue Moon Harvest Wheat something or other is pretty good. Tastes like cucumbers and I like cucumbers. :)

That's it. (Try again, Dawno) ;)

Jersey Chick
03-26-2008, 04:44 PM
I don't like beer - don't like the taste or the smell of it (reminds me of skunks, for some weird reason)

I'm a wine drinker - mostly reds - and mostly pinot noirs or merlots. I like South American wines - Chile, Argentina - and Australia, and I love Kenwoood's (California) Jack London reds (way cool bottles, as well)

DWSTXS
03-26-2008, 05:17 PM

Also good for cleaning/degreasing your car's engine.

And what's the price?
Thirty - twice!

Priene
03-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Pint of St Peter's (http://www.stpetersbrewery.co.uk/), please.

EriRae
03-26-2008, 05:23 PM
like both, depends on circumstances. Red Wine (merlot, shiraz are my favorites)

and just because - Monty Python's Skit on Australian Table Wines:

Dawno, you're not a thread killer...it's just HARD to top MONTY PYTHON, of all things!!!

Hillary
03-26-2008, 05:28 PM
Now I want wine tonight. Curse you people and your power of suggestion!

quickWit
03-26-2008, 05:34 PM
Red when I'm writing, beer socially, Tequila when I'm feeling very social.

Shadow_Ferret
03-26-2008, 05:37 PM
I prefer a good beer, a pale ale, or IPA, or sometimes something darker and heavier like a Scottish ale or an amber. I also like the German hefeweizens.

Wine, not so much. The only wines I like are the semisweet German reislings.

Everything else, the reds, chardonnays, all taste bitter to me, like vinegar. I don't get much pleasure having all the moisture sucked out of my mouth.

Although I do enjoy brandies and cognacs.

And a good whisky.

Jcomp
03-26-2008, 05:47 PM
I like wine as it makes me... um... amorous. But it also invariably gives me horrendous headaches the next day, so I generally avoid it.

Beer is my buddy. My ghostwriter, my wingman, my therapist, my confidant. My homie. We spend way, way too much time together, but it is what it is...

So yeah, beer over Chardonnay...

poetinahat
03-26-2008, 05:59 PM

What's the answer? Throat cancer!

(sorry... buddy of mine used to complete the couplet this way)

It's all good. But - if I were still in this game - the medals would go to, in some order, depending on day:

Gin Gimlet
Guinness / Bass
Campari & Lime

But, for now, I'll have a tonic, thanks.

stormie
03-26-2008, 06:07 PM
If it's a choice between wine or beer--wine. I really like Smoking Loon Pinot Noir. Smooth.

But I always have a bottle of Rumple Minze Peppermint Schnapps in the freezer. A shot of that on ice--delicious. :D

DWSTXS
03-26-2008, 06:51 PM
What's the answer? Throat cancer!

(sorry... buddy of mine used to complete the couplet this way)

It's all good. But - if I were still in this game - the medals would go to, in some order, depending on day:

Gin Gimlet
Guinness / Bass
Campari & Lime

But, for now, I'll have a tonic, thanks.

Great! I've always heard it answered as, 'What's the price? Thirty-twice!'

Never heard the Throat cancer! version. In my WIP, I have a character who says the 'What's the word' thing all the time.

brokenfingers
03-26-2008, 07:03 PM
It's boggling my mind that there are people who actually prefer something other than beer.

Boggling, I say.

waylander
03-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Registered beer snob.
Particularly fond of the products of the Wychwood brewery http://www.wychwood.co.uk/ and the Hogsback Brewery http://www.hogsback.co.uk/

Sarita
03-26-2008, 08:22 PM
Gin GimletI have a friend who makes the perfect, I mean PERFECT, gimlet. He's a bartender, of course. But how he does it... Even when I get the proportions just right, it's still not as good as his. Heaven. Delicious, tart, juniper berry heaven.

writerterri
03-26-2008, 08:31 PM
I'm on a beer kick right now. It used to taste so bitter to me but lately it's so nutty and tingly on my tongue.

JustJess
03-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Neither. One beer and I'm slurring, and I can't stand the smell of wine (not that it's offensive in itself but it brings back memories I'd rather forget)

Give me Kahlua or Bailey's or Schnapps-yeah I like my liquor sweet and syrupy.

joyce
03-26-2008, 08:50 PM
I'm a beer girl if given the choice between that and wine. I've never found a wine that tastes good to me. I use to drink Boonesfarm a hundred years ago but I don't think that counts. I really do prefer tequila though.:D

Joycecwilliams
03-26-2008, 08:56 PM
Beer only because of the sulfates in wine... make me ill.

JLCwrites
03-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Both, and add bourbon to that list too.
Mr. Turkey has a beer site... see sig.

GeorgeK
03-26-2008, 10:30 PM
I love my Port.

JJ

Tawny or Ruby? If tawny, try some Harvey's Bristol Cream; very smooth kick.

I like almost all beers exept sweet ones and the big American 2 (bud and miller)

I like almost all wines except French wines. All the one's that I've tried from France tasted like vinegar and lemon, more like a window cleaner than a drink. I'm convinced that they drink the good stuff and export the swill. You probably have to go there to get the real wine.

stormie
03-27-2008, 12:27 AM
...try some Harvey's Bristol Cream; very smooth kick.
I like that on a cold winter's night.

waylander
03-27-2008, 12:37 AM
Tawny or Ruby? If tawny, try some Harvey's Bristol Cream; very smooth kick.

Er... Harvey's is sherry.

You knew that right?

StephanieFox
03-27-2008, 01:54 AM
I don't like beer at all because I can't drink bubbles. I like nice dry wines, either red or white, depending on if I'm eating with the wine and what I'm eating.

After the wine, I like martinis and single malt scotch.

Writer2011
03-27-2008, 01:56 AM
Well before I found out I was diabetic, I used to drink beer--not all the time mind you but every now and then.

Now though I can't drink it as often unless I take extra medication. :( Oh well.