PDA

View Full Version : alternate ending to I Am Legend

nevada
03-21-2008, 08:14 AM
I much prefer the alternate ending. Much more in keeping with the film, with the character of the bad guy. Remember, Rae, you protested about the end about the guy being smart enough to set up a trap and then being stupid about the plexiglass door?

I can see why they showed it with the ending they did, no offense but americans like their big heroes with their tragic sacrifice, but I much prefer the ending of redemption and hope. But that's just me. :D

Calla Lily
03-21-2008, 03:41 PM
I'd like to know, too. Rented it Tuesday and was appalled by Will Smith-as-Kevin Costner (as in Dances with Wolves, I'm soooo talented, look at my bod and my emoting for hours).

Does the alternate ending even try to follow any part of the book?

narselon
03-21-2008, 05:22 PM
The alternate ending is closer to the book, but can't get all the way there for obvious reasons (vampires don't talk in the movie).

<spoiler> When the head vampire is knocking against the window, Smith notices the vampire wants his girlfriend (who Smith experimented on). (The buttlerfly thing is not some sort of message of faith/hope like in the theatrical version but foreshadowing to the tattoo on the woman's back) He lets the vampire in and the others calm down and removes the "cure" from the IV. She returns to "normal" and the vampire carries her away and the rest follow. Smith sits down and stares at the wall of pictures of the previous experiments and realizes what he's done. It ends with him driving with his woman companion narrating how they are broadcasting a signal for any other survivors. </spoiler>

Calla Lily
03-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks. I like Will Smith, but the Vincent Price version was better in every way, IMO. Not the least because it traied to follow the book.

maestrowork
03-21-2008, 06:27 PM
I think I like the alternate ending better... OK, it's a bit silly, too but I think it's a more logical conclusion given the rest of the plot development (the appearance of Ana, the female zombie, etc.) Some people are not going to like it because it's too Hollywood... but I think it's better.

Perks
03-21-2008, 06:29 PM
Now I'm gonna have to get it to see.

James81
03-21-2008, 06:31 PM
Now I'm gonna have to get it to see.

Just find the youtube link that someone mentioned above.

maestrowork
03-21-2008, 06:34 PM
I think the original "he's a legend because he self-sacrificed" ending was just bad...

JamieFord
03-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Ugh. I liked the first ending better. But the movie was still a pale facsimile of the book.

Here's the youtube link to the alternative ending. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2b4VqEGEJw)

nevada
03-21-2008, 08:13 PM
I say this as a major joke because tone doesn't come across on the net. If we were in person, we'd all be laughing, BUT people have to get over the "movie doesn't do justice to the book" mentality. No movie ever can. It's a totally different media and tells a story in a completely different way. Taken on its own, without the book, which ive not read, and without the other versions, which i've not seen, this was an excellent movie. I thought Will Smith turned out a stellar performance. That man's pinky, while asleep, could out act Kevin Costner. Just the scene in the video store with the mannequin was brilliant.

Huh, strangely I'm getting a sense of deja vu. Have I whined about this before? :D

III
03-21-2008, 08:16 PM
I liked the alternate spelling of "Rae" :D

nevada
03-22-2008, 01:19 AM
I liked the alternate spelling of "Rae" :D

I'm Canadian. We spell things differently. Correctly. :P

Bmwhtly
03-24-2008, 12:56 PM
I prefer the alternate ending, too. But even a mediocre ending isn't enough to save the rest of the film.

small axe
03-27-2008, 02:44 PM
I was shocked at how empty the movie was (until now, I would say that Will Smith has great taste in picking movies to star in or making them great by starring in them) ...

He's got enough $$$, he doesn't have to star in a lame screenplay, right? Or in one only an hour-and-half in length!
Fix it. Re-write it. Expand it.

The only good character was his dog. The only character I cared about was ... his dog. And his dog dies?

Now, I suppose I'm one of the dumb Americans who wants it all to work out happy, but for crying out loud, either make losing his wife and kid TRAGIC (they failed there, imo) ... or replace the stranger/nobody woman and kid with HIS wife and kid coming back for him (or, I dunno, they never got out of the city, whatever, and finally they find him ... but make them characters we CARE about)

It makes ZERO sense that he rejects her "faith" there are survivors (irrationally) and then has this instant 180 turn-around at the end.

Compare THAT empty twist with how SIGNS (Mel Gibson vs the aliens vs lost faith etc) deals with the issue so more deeply, and sets it up throughout the entire movie for its HUGE pay-off.

I'm preaching to the choir though ... we all agree it's bad, right.

Really, very disappointed.

James81
03-27-2008, 04:20 PM
I actually liked the movie myself. I'm sure if I'd read the book first I would've been a lot more annoyed with things that I was, but I thought it was a fun movie to watch.

I was shocked at how empty the movie was (until now, I would say that Will Smith has great taste in picking movies to star in or making them great by starring in them) ...

He's got enough $$$, he doesn't have to star in a lame screenplay, right? Or in one only an hour-and-half in length!
Fix it. Re-write it. Expand it.

It surprises me that you could like "I,Robot" and not like this movie.

The only good character was his dog. The only character I cared about was ... his dog. And his dog dies?

Well then they did what they were supposed to do. Make you love a character and then take that character away tragically. That's actually GOOD writing when you feel this way about a particular character.

Now, I suppose I'm one of the dumb Americans who wants it all to work out happy, but for crying out loud, either make losing his wife and kid TRAGIC (they failed there, imo) ... or replace the stranger/nobody woman and kid with HIS wife and kid coming back for him (or, I dunno, they never got out of the city, whatever, and finally they find him ... but make them characters we CARE about)

Why? Why do we need to learn more than we already know about his wife and kid? They have nothing to do with the story at hand and only play a part to show what he lost. Expanding their roles would just be needless filler.

It makes ZERO sense that he rejects her "faith" there are survivors (irrationally) and then has this instant 180 turn-around at the end.

Why does it make zero sense? The whole point of most movies is to "rescue" the hero of the movie...to have the character believing one thing in the beginning only to have the events of the movie shake him so much that he changes his mind. This movie wasn't about rescuing survivors. This movie was about Rescuing Will Smith's character. That why the 180 turn (and if you paid attention to details you would see that a key factor in his "turn" came from the tatoo on the woman's arm--remember how his daughter liked butterfiles).

Compare THAT empty twist with how SIGNS (Mel Gibson vs the aliens vs lost faith etc) deals with the issue so more deeply, and sets it up throughout the entire movie for its HUGE pay-off.

Signs was a complete joke and waste of money. lol What DID happen is they laid the groundwork great in that movie only to just piss all over it in the end.

I'm preaching to the choir though ... we all agree it's bad, right.

Really, very disappointed.

It wasn't bad. No, it wasn't one of the greatest movies I've ever watched. There were things they could've done better and from what I hear they didn't even come CLOSE to matching the book, but I still liked it.

chartreuse
03-29-2008, 07:06 PM
We just watched it last night - the alternate ending does sound better. I've still got the DVD so maybe I'll check it out.

SPOILERS AHEAD:

As for the rest of the film, I was mostly, well, underwhelmed. I didn't like the flashback structure, they skipped over what would have been, to me, the most interesting part of the story (between the time NYC is sealed off and the time that Neville realizes he and Sam are alone, how he discoverd his own immunity to the "contact" strain, how he simply avoided being killed in the civil disruption that would have followed the sealing off of the island and managed to lay in enough food and other supplies to get through until he could safely venture out, as well as further back when they first discovered that this supposed cure for cancer wasn't what it seemed), and it made no sense at all to me how these creatures had enough brain power left to place the mannequin and set the trap. Amongst other things.

The movie was only an hour and forty minutes long; they certainly could have padded it out some. And I didn't think that they really developed Neville as a character enough, either - it just seemed comical when he kept saying stuff like "this is my zone (or sector, or whatever it was)" and "I'm not leaving - I can still fix this." If he had that kind of feeling of responsibility, great, but I sure didn't see where he got it.

Definitely a disappointment.

chartreuse
03-31-2008, 04:47 AM
Okay, so, I put the disc back in and there doesn't appear to BE an alternate ending?????

Guess I'll have to watch it at work on You Tube. (No high-speed at home).

JacobWorld
03-31-2008, 01:40 PM
I think the original "he's a legend because he self-sacrificed" ending was just bad...
I have to say I couln't see any other ending .
His family was killed so he had to die too!!!

small axe
04-01-2008, 03:45 PM
I actually liked the movie myself. I'm sure if I'd read the book first I would've been a lot more annoyed with things that I was, but I thought it was a fun movie to watch.

It surprises me that you could like "I,Robot" and not like this movie.

Why does it surprise you? I, ROBOT was imo simply a better, more thought-out movie.

:)

Well then they did what they were supposed to do. Make you love a character and then take that character away tragically. That's actually GOOD writing when you feel this way about a particular character.

No, it just means they wasted the one good emotional conection.

And the WRITING didn't 'make' me love the dog character ... I just like dogs. It could've had the worst writing in the world, I'd still love me that doggie!

Now, I'll fess up, I 6x when he injected his poor hero doggie ... so did he merely euthanize her, or did he try to use the anti-zombie cure (and it failed)?

Because he's a lousy scientist if he DIDN'T try to cure the doggie (it worked on the rat, it eventually worked on the human ... why not try to save his dog with it?)

But maybe he did, I admit all i saw was the injection of something and then the dog died.

Why? Why do we need to learn more than we already know about his wife and kid? They have nothing to do with the story at hand and only play a part to show what he lost.

That's my exact point: they could've had Smith reconnect with his OWN wife and kid ... instead all we get is mere NEW strangers, right?

His self-sacrifice would've been bigger if, having found his wife and kid AGAIN ... he LOSES them again, gives himself up to stay behind and fight the zombies .

Expanding their roles would just be needless filler.

Well, we differ in what filler is, then. Finding STRANGERS with zero emotional attachment, is filler imo. Finding his FAMILY again, that's emotional. imo

Why does it make zero sense? The whole point of most movies is to "rescue" the hero of the movie...to have the character believing one thing in the beginning only to have the events of the movie shake him so much that he changes his mind.

Because the woman tells Smith there is a community of survivors ... and he DENIES and REJECTS her "faith" without even having a rational, scientific reason. He doesn't even allow that there COULD be survivors, right? SMITH has had NO human contact, no new info ... but maybe SHE knows something he doesn't.

This movie wasn't about rescuing survivors. This movie was about Rescuing Will Smith's character. That why the 180 turn (and if you paid attention to details you would see that a key factor in his "turn" came from the tatoo on the woman's arm--remember how his daughter liked butterfiles).

'If [I] paid attention to details ... ?'

The butterfly tattoo is utter NONSENSE, it's the classically BAD deus ex machina (unlike in SIGNS, where we realize the ENTIRE MOVIE has been foreshadowing its clues, than pays them off beautifully)

Signs was a complete joke and waste of money. lol What DID happen is they laid the groundwork great in that movie only to just piss all over it in the end.

How did they 'piss all over it at the end' ... that LEGEND doesn't piss on it even more pointlessly?

SIGNS is all about Gibson's loss of faith ... LEGEND just throws 'faith' in at the last moment like the schlock rip-off deua ex machina that it is.

It wasn't bad. No, it wasn't one of the greatest movies I've ever watched. There were things they could've done better and from what I hear they didn't even come CLOSE to matching the book, but I still liked it.

Well, to each their own, but we just differ on tastes ... Answer the issues above to see if you can take it beyond mere tastes.

nevada
04-01-2008, 04:13 PM
That's my exact point: they could've had Smith reconnect with his OWN wife and kid ... instead all we get is mere NEW strangers, right?

Ummmm, family dead. Helicopter. Kaboom. Those pesky details again.

Bravo
04-02-2008, 09:09 AM
it's a better ending, but that isnt saying much.

i think thematically, it's fairly interesting showing humans to be the monsters, the outcasts, the ones without morals.

but it still falls short for many reasons, most of all, because it's not a theme that's evident anywhere else in the movie. this should've been hinted at earlier, that what neville was trying to do was "wrong" in some way.

either ending was still better than the one in akiva's atrocious screenplay.

that was just utter crap.

WerenCole
04-08-2008, 01:45 AM
I just watched this movie last night. I puzzled over the ending for a while before I got it to make sense.

"They won't stop. . . they won't stop. . ."

This is true. . . I was wondering why he could not find a way to save himself. . . for instance, throw the grenade after he hid in the hole with the other two. . . but after a little thought I came to the conclusion that it worked, kind of. It does bring to mind a script writing no no; "Never let the audience second guess a plot point." There were also questions that remained mysterious and unanswered within the movie, such as the nature of the dark seekers and why they moved his friend (Jeff?) to set a trap for him. He says all human social functions were lost but that seems like they are thinking and acting semi-intelligently, yet that was never addressed. Then, when the girl and her kid comes you want them to sit down and answer some of the obvious questions, but it is just and exercise in neuroticism of Smith's character.

Entertaining movie. . . that is about it though. Smith knows how to pick the high grossing flicks and this was certainly one of them. He hardly ever makes bad decisions. . . if this movie had flopped on the revenue end of the spectrum I would have said it was a bad decision because the movie in and of itself is mediocre, but you cannot argue with a the box office gross (and the continued avenue for gross) that the movie has, thus making it a success.

At the same time, the youtube alternate ending has been removed and my copy does not have it so I cannot comment on that.

WerenCole
04-08-2008, 01:48 AM
I would also like to add that this movie is just another twist on the zombie flick genre. When you think about it, that is all it really comes down too.

I did like the animated shorts on the dvd though.

small axe
04-09-2008, 06:25 AM

Ummmm, family dead. Helicopter. Kaboom. Those pesky details again.

Um ... but you understand that it only happened that way in the movie because they wrote it that way? ;)

I'm suggesting someone could have written it in a way I like to call "better" !!!