I loathe the bus

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to say, after my first (almost) full week of full-time employment, I officially HATE public transportation. I never get a seat, people cough all over the place, some of the other riders smell, it's either too hot or too cold, the buses keep breaking down, I can never hear the stop announcements, I can't find a close parking space at the park & ride lot, and the list just goes on.

It's expensive, but not as much as gas, and at least I don't have to sit in traffic.

Hope everyone else's week was better than mine.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
What's a bus, now?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
PS...I hope it gets better for you. May your next work-week be more enjoyable.

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
See if there's a smaller line that will get you where you have to go. I have a choice of 3 busses - one is just as you describe, one is so-so, and one is a small line that doesn't leave the city limits. The last is always near-empty, and what riders there are, are usually older.

The exception is when the kids are coming home from school, and then it's hell on wheels. (The drivers aren't allowed to throw the swearing, screaming, hanging on the bars and out the windows, throwing, spitting, whatever kids off. The parents might sue. They're not that bad in the morning; too tired.) How often does the bus run? Sometimes just 30 minutes makes a difference in the riders. The school kids all crowd into one - which I don't take.

Good luck. And don't worry; the skin, nerves, ears and stamina all toughen with abuse, like a callous. :D

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
My very first city bus ride... it hits a dog, and we have to wait an extra 30 minutes until they cleaned fido up off the pavement. Meanwhile, the owners of the dog arrived and of course they were very upset. I was 16, and I haven't been on a public bus since.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
I just got off the bus home from work. It takes 20 minutes to go all of two miles, but I kind of like having the time to read. When I'm into a book I can tune out everything around me.

I'll probably start walking once it gets a little warmer though.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
I can so relate, Caro. The buses in New York where I used to live were awful. Hated every minute of it! Hope you have a better week.

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
Is it a short bus? Are you special?

No, really. . . I have never been a fan of the bus except for the time I was living around a university and a lot of my friends drove the university buses. Those were the days. I would get drunk, bring a flask on the bus and ride around with them until their shift was over, messing with the other passengers. There is something about people who drive buses when they are undergrads, they tend to be. . . very. . . strange.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I hate not getting a seat on the bus. As for smelly, my sympathies. Earlier this week I was on the subway, my head sandwiched between two different armpits, one of which was attached to a rather unsteady man who kept careening toward me. Euw.

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score
No. No more horror stories about the bus. I forbid it! ;) Sorry your experiences were less than pleasant. I can't WAIT to ride the bus everyday. I work nights right now and I just don't feel safe, so I'm forking out about $4 a gallon for premium for my supercharged biotch that I just HAD to HAVE four years ago.