What kind of accent do you have? Quiz

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

I'm from Ontario. Canada. :tongue

(But my son's gf is from Ohio.)

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I got Northeast, too, which seems fitting since I'm from New York, but I've been in GA so long, I kind of twang the words anyway.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
accentwo1.jpg

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

I have never called it POP in my life. It's soda!

dobiwon

Planning to retire for the 5th time
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
magind7.wixsite.com
Like Shadow Ferret and MTNester, it pegged me as Inland North--Wrong. Yankee from upstate New York--never heard of "pop" until I was well into my adult years. "Soda" it always was.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
What American accent do you have?Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

Maybe. I was raised in Iowa, but both my parents were from Brooklyn NY, so many the mix is Inland North.

When I was in Iowa, I said 'pop', but I learned to say 'soda', as in "No think you, I don't like soda," when I started to move around the USA.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What American accent do you have?Your Result: The Inland North

Yes, they've nailed me. And we do call it pop, and only pop.

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Pop? as in, 'goes the weasel?'

that's not right!

All us Texicans can tell you that the proper terminology is 'coke'. Even if it's Sprite, RootBeer, Dr. Pepper, or Fanta...it's a 'coke'

As in, 'Go get me a coke!'

"okay, what flavor?'

"I'll have a Sprite"

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not even close. The danged thing says my accent is Boston when I know damned good and well it's pure Texan.

I need a coke. Make mine a Dr. Pepper. ;)

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Like Shadow Ferret and MTNester, it pegged me as Inland North--Wrong. Yankee from upstate New York--never heard of "pop" until I was well into my adult years. "Soda" it always was.
Said the same for me, but I'm from North Central Jersey. Although, the accent only comes out when I get comfortable. It's hding in the depths of my soul :)

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I couldn't give a "right" answer one of the questions: "Mary and merry sound the same but marry is different from them"
I think Mary and marry sound the same, but merry is slightly different, but I chose "All 3 sound the same."

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Midland

I thought it would say (I think it SHOULD say) Southern. That's what everyone on Long Island thought (and in retrospect they likely thought I was "slow" because of being from the South, which only added to my insecurities - overall, living on LI sucked. But enough of my memoir excerpt...).

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

That's interesting, I suppose it has me nailed, I grew up in Atlanta, though both my parents were from rural Georgia, and that surely had a stong influence. But at least I (and my parents!) aren't as bad as some rural people I hear...