• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Planning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronan

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, my first question on here, and it's to do with the first part of writing fiction

Just trying to gather different opinions on how is a good way to plan novel writing, once the idea is in your head. Are your plans usually quite long? And are there planning elements you always include?

What I'm doing at the moment is writing several rewrites of my plot out line, pages and pages on characters (background, looks, personality etc) and collecting images of important settings

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
I think the best way to do it is the way that works best for you. Try planning every little thing, try writing by the seat of your pants, and try everything in between. Pick the one that works. I think there are probably as many ways to plan as there are writers - maybe more.
Personally, I'm going for outlining the major points and pantsing the bits in between.

And now I'm going to stand back and watch the regular battle fight friendly discussion between outliners and pantsers ensue.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
IPick the one that works. I think there are probably as many ways to plan as there are writers - maybe more.
Personally, I'm going for outlining the major points and pantsing the bits in between.

Yup - any way that works for you. I barely plan, works for me. I know someone whose plan runs pretty much the length of the book, a full length sysnopsis if you like, and he goes back to put it all into show rather than tell -- I'd rather stick pins in my eyes, but it works for him.

And now I'm going to stand back and watch the regular battle fight friendly discussion between outliners and pantsers ensue.

I have a mackerel, if anyone wants to fish-duel

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
I write short biographies of my main characters, so they stay in character no matter where the story goes. I know the general line the story will take but I like the characters to tell their own story to a certain extent. They seem to know better than I do what happened (well, it happened to them after all, didn't it?).

Ronan

Registered
Reaction score
Pfft, ok that what you get If I don't fully read the forums.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It happens, Ronan. This is a huge site.

Welcome, and take time to browse around the many sub-Forums.

In this sub-Forum there's a Thread called Learn Writing with Uncle Jim. It's long, but well worth the effort of reading. There is an index to that thread at the top of the sub-Forums listing, one page back from here.

But this link will take you to the start of the thread:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6710

Last edited:

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Hey, my first question on here, and it's to do with the first part of writing fiction

Just trying to gather different opinions on how is a good way to plan novel writing, once the idea is in your head. Are your plans usually quite long? And are there planning elements you always include?

What I'm doing at the moment is writing several rewrites of my plot out line, pages and pages on characters (background, looks, personality etc) and collecting images of important settings
If this is what works for you, then do it. I do not outline. If I outline I feel like the novel is set in stone and HAS to go that way. I lose my freedom to let the story go wherever it wants to go. Obviously some kind of mental block but that's how it is with me. I do, however, paper my walls with pictures of people, places, buildings, maps and plans. I construct my novel in my head and only put scenes on paper when I get to them. I'm loosely familiar with a beginning, middle and end but if I get there and the characters feel forced in that direction then I go their way.
Linnea

David I

Registered
Reaction score
I think the best way to do it is the way that works best for you. Try planning every little thing, try writing by the seat of your pants, and try everything in between. Pick the one that works. I think there are probably as many ways to plan as there are writers - maybe more.

Right on. And be aware that how you work may change from book to book, and even over time in your career.

I'm a jump-right-in, seat-of-the-pants guy. But recently, while working on Book X, I kept getting ideas for a Book Y. So I scribbled down short notes so I wouldn't forget the ideas/scenes. And, guess what? I ended up with something like an outline by accident.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I'm going to move tihs to basic writing questions, and ask the nice mods there to merge it with the other thread on the same topic, or otherwise deal with the duplicate :)

Last edited:

Varthikes

Dragon Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Draconia, Orion's Arm, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way G
Lately, when I start a new project, I start by outlining the primary setting, the primary events that I want to happen during the story, and main characters.

Then, I expand on the story points and separate them into chapters. Once I have several chapters outlined, I start the actual writing part.

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
In my current WIP, I know 3 or 4 major plot points, places where the story just has to go to, but I improvise the route taken in between.

Also, listen to your characters. In my current WIP, I had Jade laugh at a remark of Ben's, but when I went over and read it, I thought, "ho, there, Jade wouldn't laugh. She would be terribly offended by Ben's remark!" and viola!, I just got a conflict going, and a new twist in the plot!

Status
Not open for further replies.