PDA

View Full Version : Desperate Plea To Moderators

Ken
03-20-2008, 02:19 AM
"You have the brain of a flea!"
"Your membership to the human race should be retracted!"
"In short, you are a #%&@&%#!!!"

Back from a 3-day ban, resulting from comments made in the "Writers Who Don't Like Other Writers" thread I'm terrified to open my User CP for fear of finding a slew of statements, as these. So, if possible, would a Moderator dip into my User CP an erase the top 500 or so recent rep comments expressing such sentiments? I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks a Lot, Anis
(a sensitive soul, despite the grrruff exterior.)

ps Good to be rubbing elbows again with you lugs. :)

pps Will be on my best behavior from now on.

Little Red Barn
03-20-2008, 02:32 AM
Uh, ohh, Jenna might do that for say for oh... 500 poems. I believe she had a thread on such...just sayn' and welcome home!

ETA: I don't know what you did, but I'll give a good rep if tha'll make you feel better.

HeronW
03-20-2008, 02:39 AM
welcome back, missed you & MiniMe

Ken
03-20-2008, 02:40 AM
Thanks kimmi.
Now lets see...

I like Absolute Write,
It is totally out of sight,
Though the comments are occasionally trite,
The AW-ers themselves are dynomite!!!

one down, 499 to go...

Ken
03-20-2008, 02:42 AM
welcome back, missed you & MiniMe

Missed Ya too HeroinW ;)

KTC
03-20-2008, 02:50 AM
Hey..don't worry about it. I'm sure the comments aren't that bad. Don't let them get to you if they are, anyway. We all get a little heated at times and spout off...it wouldn't be natural if we didn't. Don't sweat a couple comments...just click and get it over with. As soon as you start collecting new ones those old ones will fade to the bottom and then off your screen. Welcome back...

Meerkat
03-20-2008, 02:51 AM
The main thing is: you're back. All's well that end's well!

Ken
03-20-2008, 02:55 AM
Thanks a lot KTC. Really great advise, not just for rep comments but for life in general.
(Think I will finally overcome my jealousy and visit that 20,000-reply thread of yours.)

KTC
03-20-2008, 03:02 AM
lol. Come on in and take a seat. You'll like the place. Except for the addicted dog and the old bag in the corner, that is.

Angie
03-20-2008, 03:17 AM
lol. Come on in and take a seat. You'll like the place. Except for the addicted dog and the old bag in the corner, that is.

And the smell. My Gawd, the smell.

KTC
03-20-2008, 03:19 AM
We cover the smell with coffee.

Ken
03-20-2008, 03:29 AM
sounds like a delightful place :)
so long as the coffee doesn't come from StarbucksTM

Angie
03-20-2008, 03:49 AM
Starbucks? STARBUCKS?!?

Kevin, kindly enlighten the poor soul.

http://www.coffeelab.com/coffee/coffee_roaster.jpg

Ken
03-20-2008, 03:52 AM
Don't know how the coffee tastes but the checkerboard cup is sure cute.
Anyone for a game of checkers?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-20-2008, 03:52 AM

I saw that!

I'll get you, my pretty! You and your little dog, too!

stormie
03-20-2008, 03:55 AM
Okay, I missed it all. Again. :Shrug:
Anyway, welcome back, anis!

Ken
03-20-2008, 03:55 AM
Trivia Question:
What sort of dog was that in the Wizard of Oz?
My guess is a poodle.
(totally wrong, I know)
Did I say poodle, I err meant a Cairn terrier!!

thnx Stormie
your zapping thundercloud is a sight for sore eyes

Angie
03-20-2008, 03:57 AM
Cairn terrier. :D

writerterri
03-20-2008, 04:21 AM
They can read our reps!

*blushing*

Susie
03-20-2008, 04:29 AM
Roses are red
Violets are too.
Glad you're back
Yep, that's true!

Here's :Cake: ! :D

SpookyWriter
03-20-2008, 04:49 AM
Roses are red
Violets are too.
Glad you're back
Yep, that's true!

Here's :Cake: ! :D

Blood is red
Victims are too
Glad you're back's not stabbed
Yep, that's a clue.
So howdy do.

Perks
03-20-2008, 04:53 AM
The main thing is: you're back. All's well that end's well!
Not according to my sig line.

Ken
03-20-2008, 05:30 AM
SUSIE!!!
HI!!!!!!!! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):)

Ken
03-20-2008, 05:33 AM
Blood is red
Victims are too
Yep, that's a clue.
So howdy do.

Blood is Not Red.
It is Green as far as I can tell.

*lifts up arm, examines vein*

But thnx for the poem.
Almost as good as mine ;)

WerenCole
03-20-2008, 05:40 AM
The whole thing does not make any sense to me. Really. If you did something wrong then the reps you see will reflect that particular time and be a reminder to be a little bit more guarded in your jesting. Maybe it is just me, but it seems like something a child would do. . . they don't want to see something so they run away, close their eyes and put their hands over their ears and sing na na na na. . . I can't hear you! until they are red in the face. You know, eventually those children have to actually open their eyes and see what is in front of them. . . can't go through life with the na na na face.

Right?

Anyway, you would either need to be either really funny or extremely crude to have 500 reps with 157 posts. . .

Medievalist
03-20-2008, 05:53 AM
Umm . .. if anyone receives or makes Rep comments like the ones Anis uses as examples in the top post--comments that are just personal attacks--let MacAllister, Dawno, RllngThunder, or any of the other SuperMods know.

That's not acceptable.

Silver King
03-20-2008, 06:11 AM
For the record, mods don't rummage through rep comments. You'd be better off asking them to pillage among dirty diapers to find that one golden nugget you want to save in a baby album. They might do it, but chances are, unless you have a damn good reason, it ain't gonna happen.

Devil Ledbetter
03-20-2008, 06:17 AM
The only way to make a rep comment disappear is to put the person who gave it to you on ignore.

I don't ignore people. I let them ignore me.

KTC
03-20-2008, 06:22 AM
Blood is red
Victims are too
Yep, that's a clue.
So howdy do.

POEM. OF. THE. MONTH.

Ken
03-20-2008, 02:25 PM
The whole thing does not make any sense to me. Really. If you did something wrong then the reps you see will reflect that particular time and be a reminder to be a little bit more guarded in your jesting. Maybe it is just me, but it seems like something a child would do. . . they don't want to see something so they run away, close their eyes and put their hands over their ears and sing na na na na. . . I can't hear you! until they are red in the face. You know, eventually those children have to actually open their eyes and see what is in front of them. . . can't go through life with the na na na face.

Today I'll examine my rep remarks, w/o fail.
Guess it is childish to avoid doing so by covering up my ears or eyes.
Then again so is avoiding negative remarks in the first place by refraining from speaking ones mind on issues and just going along with what everybody else has to say to fit in and garner their good words and will. So besides looking into my User CP and viewing anything negative, there, as a result of comments made prior to my ban, I will also anticipate future negative remarks in my user cp and also on these open boards. I'll be saddened by them, of course, but will not let them deter me from speaking my mind and being me...in a very respectful manner of course.

KTC
03-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Hey, there's a lot to be said for sticking your head in the sand. (Except for the sand in your hair, of course.)

RumpleTumbler
03-20-2008, 02:31 PM
You might find that the reps have been in your favor and more plentiful than on posts where you were not banned. Just a thought. How would I know?

Ken
03-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Hey, there's a lot to be said for sticking your head in the sand. (Except for the sand in your hair, of course.)

You're totally right.
Being liked and accepted by others is a great feeling.
So maybe I'll just keep my thoughts to myself and just go with the flow and save anything controversial I may have to say for a book, if I ever get the opportunity to write one of such sort. Compared to fiction, argumentative non-fiction seems daunting. Besides being creative one also has to be pretty darned intelligent, which I'm honestly not. But handicaps can be overcome, of course, with hard work and application...and good advise. :)

thnx for the optomistic outlook RT.

Bmwhtly
03-20-2008, 03:01 PM
For the record, mods don't rummage through rep comments.Smells fishy to me.

I mean...
Oh never mind.

cray
03-20-2008, 05:17 PM
Smells fishy to me.

I mean...
Oh never mind.

i'm with you, ben.
i catch mods languishing in my reps all the time.

Yeshanu
03-20-2008, 06:34 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can give people rep points of any kind while they're banned. And as someone up thread said, you've got a lot of rep points for someone who's only posted 157 times. Read your rep points and get on with your posting!

(And I'll just bet there's a smile from Susie hidden somewhere in your list. :) )

Susie
03-20-2008, 06:40 PM
SUSIE!!!
HI!!!!!!!! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):)

Hey, ANIS, :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):)
Glad all is well! Thx much for the smilies. They're purty! :)

WerenCole
03-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Right on cue Susie. . . do you guys plan these things?

Anyway Anis, I am all for speaking my mind. I am also for all for taking the consequences when I stick my foot in my mouth. I do both rather often. (Though, my lawyer gene prohibits me from every being TOTALLY wrong. . . okay, just kidding).

I am not saying to guard yourself too much or not speak your mind. Just know that there is a line and toe the line instead of jumping over it then wondering why there are negative consequences.

writerterri
03-20-2008, 07:12 PM
This thread has been officially dorked.

HeronW
03-20-2008, 08:39 PM
Wiz Toto Trivia:

Toto was a Cairn Terrier whose real name was "Terry". And, even though Toto was referred to as a "he" in MGM's classic film, Toto was really a "she".

WerenCole
03-20-2008, 09:10 PM
Wiz Toto Trivia:

Toto was a Cairn Terrier whose real name was "Terry". And, even though Toto was referred to as a "he" in MGM's classic film, Toto was really a "she".

right. . . exactly what I was thinking. . .

???

Ken
03-20-2008, 09:58 PM
There really is a psychological factor to writing non-fiction. You have to be prepared to have people disagree with you, in no uncertain terms. Not everyone is up to this. You've got to have thick skin. Wonder how non-fiction writers on this site deal with this, when slapping together a book for pub?

Wonder why they changed Toto's sex in the Wiz of Oz? Maybe sexism was involved? Toto saved Dorothy's life so maybe the director felt that that was a role better assigned to a male, in accordance with the biases of the times. (But how about in the book? Was Toto a she in it?)

Susie is super. She doesn't do anything on cue. Everything she says comes straight from the heart without preparation or planning. When I'm in her presence my cynisism about human nature really drops back a bit. There are good people in this world, not many, but there are some, thank goodness. Maybe for that reason alone the gods up above have chosen to spare us throughout all these years instead of causing our stupid species to become extinct.)

Never thought a thread I started would ever be refered to as dorky. Stupid and Foolish, maybe, but not "dorky." You've got to be bright to be dorky, which I am not, by golly!

PS Finally got up the guts to check my user cp. Lots of nice stuff in it to my utter amazement :)

Yeshanu
03-20-2008, 11:09 PM
Hey, ANIS, :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) :):):):):):):):):):)
Glad all is well! Thx much for the smilies. They're purty! :)

Note that she just had to go you one (or a few) better...

:tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue :tongue

Ken
03-21-2008, 01:17 AM
I'm ashamed to say that I was aware of that, Yeshanu.
But I can quickly resolve that:
Susie = :) mulitiplied by 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

KTC
03-21-2008, 01:23 AM
This thread has been officially dorked.

and you are the dorkiest of them all.

Ken
03-21-2008, 01:36 AM
Well I did get one negative cp comment from WerenCole, just now:
"I am not sure I understand you, since you keep contradicting yourself in reaction to others. When you get that thick skin, let me know."

Silver King
03-21-2008, 04:22 AM
"I am not sure I understand you, since you keep contradicting yourself in reaction to others. When you get that thick skin, let me know."
Um, anis, it's really not cool to share rep comments on the open boards. If you ever feel you are being harassed via the rep option, you are welcome to share your concerns with a mod. Please keep in mind that throwing rep comments out here to make a point should be avoided in the future.

Jean Marie
03-21-2008, 04:32 AM
Right on, Fish Boy. That's why Mac crowned you.

Ken
03-21-2008, 05:03 AM
Um, anis, it's really not cool to share rep comments on the open boards. If you ever feel you are being harassed via the rep option, you are welcome to share your concerns with a mod. Please keep in mind that throwing rep comments out here to make a point should be avoided in the future.

Yeah, I guess that was not very cool of me.
Won't do that again in the future.
Was kinda ticked and thought this was a better thing to do than writing back something in a heated frame of mind.
Next time I'll just take five.

Susie
03-21-2008, 05:56 AM
Right on cue Susie. . . do you guys plan these things?

Anyway Anis, I am all for speaking my mind. I am also for all for taking the consequences when I stick my foot in my mouth. I do both rather often. (Though, my lawyer gene prohibits me from every being TOTALLY wrong. . . okay, just kidding).

I am not saying to guard yourself too much or not speak your mind. Just know that there is a line and toe the line instead of jumping over it then wondering why there are negative consequences.

LOL, Weren. Only when we're awake! :):):):):):):):)

WerenCole
03-21-2008, 06:10 AM

Technically that is neither a negative statement nor a negative rep(ie, your rep count went UP not down, I never hit the negative rep button, bad form), hope you understand.

WerenCole
03-21-2008, 06:15 AM

Ah yes, that is why I sent the rep and tried to be diplomatic. I am not going to get mad or anything about it, because honestly I just don't care. My comment (not that I really feel the need to justify it, but I will) was that everytime there was a comment or advice you changed your stance just slightly to accomdate it. Hence, you were not actually showing thick skin. I am sure in your writing you are quite tough but I am not seeing it here.

Oh well, I am out.

Jean Marie
03-21-2008, 07:13 AM
I've always been of the opinion that Weren leaves great rp's. 'Course, that's just me.

RumpleTumbler
03-21-2008, 07:17 AM
I've always been of the opinion that Weren leaves great rp's. 'Course, that's just me.

We meet every day at the same cafe
Six-thirty and no one knows she'll be there
Holding hands, making all kinds of plans
While the juke box plays our favorite songs

Billy Paul

DeaconBlu
03-21-2008, 11:18 AM
It's not cool to post rep comments, PM's and anything else? Seems to me if you have the spit you shouldn't mind seeing it on the sidewalk.

Ken
03-21-2008, 03:36 PM
Well anyway,
I finally managed to check my rep comments,
thanks to pep talks & encouragement from all of you,
and learned a valuable lesson about posting 'em on the board.
So all in all this thread was quite helpful to me. Thanks everyone.

Medievalist
03-21-2008, 04:05 PM
It's not cool to post rep comments, PM's and anything else? Seems to me if you have the spit you shouldn't mind seeing it on the sidewalk.

* Both can involve innocent third parties who have no control over what is being written about them.

* The P in PM stands for private; it's a way of communicating privately between members--otherwise there would be no point in them.

* Rep comments are tied to specific posts; they make little sense out of that context.

Finally, to continue your less than exquisite metaphor, while you may have the spit, (or the dirty laundry) I don't see why I should be subjected to it. Some stuff should be private.

Robert Toy
03-21-2008, 04:52 PM
I heard that PMs can be accessed by some mods, true?

RumpleTumbler
03-21-2008, 04:59 PM
I heard that PMs can be accessed by some mods, true?

Without a mod to the original installation you must login as that user to see personal messages.

Robert Toy
03-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Without a mod to the original installation you must login as that user to see personal messages.
So with a SW mod to the original installation, a Mod can access PMs is that correct?

RumpleTumbler
03-21-2008, 05:05 PM
So with a SW mod to the original installation, a Mod can access PMs is that correct?

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=92815

Robert Toy
03-21-2008, 05:09 PM
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=92815
Thanks for link.

*quickly scurries to delete PMs* :D

Ken
03-21-2008, 05:10 PM
You never can be sure.
So to play it safe never say anything truly private and personal in PM's, e.g.
"On such and such a date I robbed a bank and shot two guards while making a getaway."

Robert Toy
03-21-2008, 05:14 PM
You know you are in deep poo when the Mods have you on Ignore...;)

Ken
03-21-2008, 05:20 PM
What I'm really wondering though is who are the Mods?
Does a person automatically become a Mod when they build up a certain # of replies,
or obtain an impressive # of rep comments,
or demonstrate sound reasoning and level-headedness while on the board?
(If the later is a necessary qualification I fear I'll never rise to the rank of a Mod :( )

Robert Toy
03-21-2008, 05:24 PM
Does a person automatically become a Mod when they build up a certain # of replies,
(If the later is a necessary qualification I fear I'll never rise to the rank of a Mod :( )
I don't have a clue, ask Mac

cray
03-21-2008, 05:27 PM
do you guys really think that mods (or anyone really) has the time or inclination to read the minutia in pm’s and reps?

Robert Toy
03-21-2008, 05:29 PM
do you guys really think that mods (or anyone really) has the time or inclination to read the minutia in pm’s and reps?
Yup....that's entertainment when they get bored.

Jean Marie
03-21-2008, 05:33 PM
This would have been sufficient for me, since SK's a mod.

Well anyway,
I finally managed to check my rep comments,
thanks to pep talks & encouragement from all of you,
and learned a valuable lesson about posting 'em on the board.
So all in all this thread was quite helpful to me. Thanks everyone.
Read above post.

* Both can involve innocent third parties who have no control over what is being written about them.

* The P in PM stands for private; it's a way of communicating privately between members--otherwise there would be no point in them.

* Rep comments are tied to specific posts; they make little sense out of that context.

Finally, to continue your less than exquisite metaphor, while you may have the spit, (or the dirty laundry) I don't see why I should be subjected to it. Some stuff should be private.
Heavy emphasis on "private" would be key. Lisa doesn't mince words.

They're picked by the board owner.

I don't have a clue, ask Mac
Who's the owner of AW.

Ken
03-21-2008, 05:37 PM

WHAT???!!!
YOU DON'T THINK STUFF LIKE THIS IS INTERESTING:

- you're funny :D
- you're right
- you're wrong
- I like that :)
- I don't like that :(

(still, when you're the receipient of such commentary yourself things like this can lighten up your entire day, or at least the better part of the afternoon)

RumpleTumbler
03-21-2008, 05:40 PM
This would have been sufficient for me, since SK's a mod.

Read above post.

Heavy emphasis on "private" would be key. Lisa doesn't mince words.

They're picked by the board owner.

Who's the owner of AW.

Hands Jean Marie some soap, water and a washcloth.

dpaterso
03-21-2008, 06:02 PM
Yep, it's an open fact that supermods and admins can view rep comments, but we only do so when requested, e.g. if abuse is reported by members and needs to be checked out. When we do look, we're only interested in reading rep comments from specific usernames. I've never felt inclined to scan further. We just don't do that.

I'd wager hard cash that 99% of rep comments on this board either consist of LOL! or hugs from Susie. :)

And I can't speak for anyone else, but I was asked to become a moderator because of my good looks.

-Derek

Ken
03-21-2008, 06:19 PM
Alas, you've got to be attractive too to become a Mod,
which means I'll never ever become one

:(

Robert Toy
03-21-2008, 06:22 PM
Don’t forget modesty as well…;)

sassandgroove
03-22-2008, 12:08 AM
The only way to make a rep comment disappear is to put the person who gave it to you on ignore.

I don't ignore people. I let them ignore me.Nope. If you delete your post, the rep point goes with it.

It's not cool to post rep comments, PM's and anything else? Seems to me if you have the spit you shouldn't mind seeing it on the sidewalk.Well, see, they're private and all. Otherwise the sender would have publicly posted them.

Thanks for link.

*quickly scurries to delete PMs* :DARCHIVE THEM FIRST!!!! I save mine as text before I delete them.

Yes, I have referred to archived pm's. Thank you very much.

I'd wager hard cash that 99% of rep comments on this board either consist of LOL! or hugs from Susie. :)
Susie is a sweetie. I can't keep up. I get two for every one I give her, at least. THANKS SUSIE!!! :Hug2:

And I can't speak for anyone else, but I was asked to become a moderator because of my good looks.
-DerekOh most assuredly so.

What is the criteria, anyway?

Medievalist
03-22-2008, 07:16 AM
Cripes.

No, Mods can't read Rep points, and they don't want to. If they want to, well, they shouldn't be mods :D

SupeMods and Admins can, technically, but it's not done lightly. Just thinking about it would likely make MacCannister flinch, I reckon; privacy is awfully important.

As for how you get to be a Mod, you are innocently participating as a member, and one morning you wake and log in and find that posts have extra buttons and they do stuff and you've done been shanghaied . . . after adamant refusals on your part, I might add.

And it can take years to break away...

Soccer Mom
03-22-2008, 07:29 AM
Cripes.

No, Mods can't read Rep points, and they don't want to. If they want to, well, they shouldn't be mods :D

SupeMods and Admins can, technically, but it's not done lightly. Just thinking about it would likely make MacCannister flinch, I reckon; privacy is awfully important.

As for how you get to be a Mod, you are innocently participating as a member, and one morning you wake and log in and find that posts have extra buttons and they do stuff and you've done been shanghaied . . . after adamant refusals on your part, I might add.

And it can take years to break away...

I've heard it takes special skills to get the shock collar off and by that time you're in so deep with Stockholm Syndrome that...well...there just isn't any point any more.

Dawno
03-22-2008, 07:30 AM
Who talked? Gonna have to do some remedial training with 'em...

SpookyWriter
03-22-2008, 07:47 AM
As for how you get to be a Mod, you are innocently participating as a member, and one morning you wake and log in and find that posts have extra buttons and they do stuff and you've done been shanghaiedIf I ever wake up with extra buttons or find myself next to Madonna, then please shoot me.

Medievalist
03-22-2008, 08:25 AM
If I ever wake up with extra buttons or find myself next to Madonna, then please shoot me.

Why wait?

It could happen at any moment.

I had no warning, none, and then BAM!

It's terrible cruel, I tell you. Makes ya change avatars.

And stuff.

SpookyWriter
03-22-2008, 08:32 AM
Why wait?

It could happen at any moment.

I had no warning, none, and then BAM!

It's terrible cruel, I tell you. Makes ya change avatars.

And stuff.Someone shot you dead? I'm sorry, I was busy that weekend. Can I send flowers on my next payday?

http://www.sanfranciscofuneralflowers.com/images%5CFTDProducts%5C306.jpg

Hope you're doing better.

Medievalist
03-22-2008, 08:42 AM
It's too late for flowers.

I done been traumatized.

Dawno
03-22-2008, 08:45 AM
pfft - she wasn't traumatized, I hadn't started the "New Mod Orientation" labor...uh, training camp when she was shanghaied volunteered to be a mod...

SpookyWriter
03-22-2008, 08:47 AM
It's too late for flowers.

I done been traumatized.:roll: Chocolate?

SpookyWriter
03-22-2008, 08:49 AM
pfft - she wasn't traumatized, I hadn't started the "New Mod Orientation" labor...uh, training camp when she was shanghaied volunteered to be a mod...I can only imagine the transition must be difficult. I've seen what it can do to normal folks.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
03-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Then there's RT... look what it did to HIM. ::shudder::

Rolling Thunder
03-22-2008, 04:08 PM
It's made me into a beloved guy. So love me...or else. :D